Boston Consulting Group Recruiting 2009

Hey everyone! I'm a Senior at Morehouse College... Econ major, business and poli-sci minor. I had my first round finance interviews with BCG last week and I'm still waiting to hear back. Just wanted to check in to see how the recruiting process in going for other BCG candidates and I was hoping to get some advice from past candidates on how to be successful. I'm also waiting to see if I get an interview with BoozAllen, McK, and Accenture. Wish me luck and all of your feedback and insight is appreciated!

Here are some brain teasers with sample strong and weak answers to get your cylinders firing. Compare your answers to the strong examples. Brain Teaser Interview Questions - Strong and Weak Example Answers http://bit.ly/GKBiy

5 things strategy consulting firms are looking for - http://bit.ly/17iUQb

Gotta Mentor www.GottaMentor.com Connect to the Advice & People You Need to Achieve Your Career Goals

Gotta Mentor Connect to the Advice & People You Need to Achieve Your Career Goals

PaperTrail:
Any insights on Bain would be appreciated as well

Motley Crue couldn't handle their parties, so they started a rock band.

"Cowards die a thousand deaths, but the brave only one," Bill Shakespeare

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

Final round interviews are typically more focused on fit, but you could still certainly get a case. They're "easier" in many regards given the fit focus, but don't let your guard down.

For you haters out there, believe it or not, there actually are good candidates at non-Ivy schools. I've had more than one senior banker tell me they'd take a kid at the top of a big state school who paid their own way through school over a smart core school graduate any day of the week. Just saying be careful about the assumptions you make.

Gotta Mentor www.GottaMentor.com Connect to the Advice & People You Need to Achieve Your Career Goals

Gotta Mentor Connect to the Advice & People You Need to Achieve Your Career Goals

I wasn't referring directly to the OP. By all means bust your ass to get wherever your going! I'm not hating I just don't understand why that school is selected for recruitment when it's clearly not in the same league as the others that it recruits from. I think it's unfair to other potential minority candidates who worked hard to get to a top school and are struggling to find jobs.

I myself am not a minority, I go to a semi-target big state school so I hope what you say is true!!! ha.

Best Response

Thanks for all of the helpful tips for everyone who had some insightful advice to offer up. It was really helpful. Overall I think I did really well... For decision round interviews I found myself being interviewed by more senior people at the firm, they gave me cases all of which my interviewers had previously or were currently working on which I thought was really cool. The cases were not as challenging as I had expected them to be but it really seemed like the interviews were more focused on fit. I got a lot of questions about my personal experience and it seemed as though they were really picking my brain to get a feel for my thought process.

As for Morehouse recruiting... Morehouse is a great school despite what other people have to say about it. I graduated high school at the top of my class from a top public high school in California and I got accepted to a number of "good schools" but I chose Morehouse for a number of different reasons... Its not always about a school's ranking. A lot of my classmates are really intelligent, talented and hard working students and are just as competitive as kids at o/top schools. So its not really "unfair" that MBB recruits @ Morehouse in my opinion. Morehouse sends alot of guys to Ivy League grad schools and I think that says alot. And for me personally, I've worked in the Senate, top Wall Street I-banks, and I've started 3 businesses and a non-profit since I've been in college... I think that my level of accomplishment matches or exceeds that of my peers... not being cocky or anything, just saying...

No I wasn't saying you individually aren't qualified I was just referring to the school as a whole. I'm from Atlanta so I know the rep of Morehouse and such. And I'm sure there are many bright kids that go there but you could say that about every college in America. Every college will always have a decent amount of smart kids go there for reasons besides "going to a top school". Either way Morehouse is still a college/university and as far as recruiting goes should meet the standards of the other schools that M/B/B recruit from which it clearly doesn't. Morehouse has it's place but does it deserve a spot next to the top publics and Ivy league schools? Like I said I'm not attacking you, by all means bust your ass and do whatever it takes!

Does Morehouse meet the same standards of other schools that MBB recruits at? Clearly it does.. Would a company invest time, money and human capital into recruiting at a school if the opportunity wasn't worth it or if the school didn't meet certain standards?... No, that makes no logical sense.

Then the question of who determines whether Morehouse deserves a spot next to top Ivy league schools or even how anyone comes to that decision and what factors play into the decision... that's a REALLY big can of worms...

You: Does Morehouse meet the same standards of other schools that MBB recruits at? Clearly it does

Morehouse Website: The acceptance rate at Morehouse is about 69% SAT's above l000 combined will place you in excellent position.

How can you be serious? You sound like an outstanding applicant, but your school is no better than and MBB does not recruit there. Your school is different in one aspect, and that is why MBB goes there.

Morehouse College is the historically black all-male college in Atlanta. Today it is making headlines about the new dress code policy. The Morehouse College dress code isn't much of a scandal – it's just requiring students to take their appearance seriously, but at what point are huge personal loans for an education worth less effort due to ridiculous rules for attending? The Morehouse College dress code forbids a man to wear anything resembling women's clothing – although one wonders how it's a problem. The reason why that Morehouse College is one of the few men's colleges in the U.S., meaning no women attend. (Then why go?)

Unde quia quis consectetur ratione consequatur voluptates nam. Qui eum non officiis accusamus. Dolores quo id commodi architecto.

Quis atque repellendus et ex eum ullam hic saepe. Maiores neque reprehenderit consequatur voluptate dignissimos ipsa unde laudantium. Ullam voluptatum itaque deleniti repudiandae doloribus sunt voluptatem delectus. Deserunt delectus hic eveniet molestiae voluptatum aut eveniet. Odio recusandae expedita omnis perferendis porro occaecati ad rerum. Eligendi repudiandae ipsa officiis quis sunt dolores sed. Repellendus alias et sit debitis et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”