Calling everyone...Biggest 2018 Takeway

What has been the biggest lesson you learned this year in your RE career? Has anything surprising occurred or any interesting moments/events/trends you’ve come across at work and witnessed in the estate field? How other players are reacting to the market? 1st year at your current job or industry that stood out to you that you wouldn’t have realized before?

Any insight/advice that we can all chime in on for everyone in the industry? Whether in acquisitions (REPE), development, AM, debt, leasing, brokerage etc. Thanks.

Same boat as you. But if manage to ride it out, you get better experience. A lot of people I meet with started around or in the wake of 2008 and they talk about how it shaped their careers.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Most interesting topic i've followed this year: lenders absorbed treasury rate moves from early 18, but did not absorb the august rate hike, but now rates are back to pre-august levels. it'll be interesting to see what happens when rates move up again. it's worth being aware that if lenders aren't absorbing the next round of rate increases, then property valuations will be impacted.

yayaa:
What has been the biggest lesson you learned this year in your RE career?

2018: Construction pricing is hilariously expensive. Garden deals cost as much as 5 story wrap deals should. 2019: Hope you don't have expensive floating debt!

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Developers are getting overly-aggressive in their rent / expense assumptions. Construction pricing has compressed spreads a ton. Suburban MF still good. Urban, not so much.

Biggest takeaway though is that office acquisitions are so absurdly over-priced it's ridiculous. Tons of people buying new deals at 25%+ over replacement cost. 1980s deals trading at replacement cost. Silliness.

Get into what you are most interested in and stay there. Pivoting from development to the financial intermediary space to get to REPE was a very tough road. Brokerage is much more about salesmanship and grinding than intellectual prowess. It was a wake up call to watch Marcus and Millichap experienced brokers with little understanding of JV's, structured finance, and development agreements leap over an ivy league educated coworker because they knew the game of building and maintaining a network.

On another note, way too much dumb money piling into the crowd-sourced equity space. Also, (re)development yield spreads got pinched hard due to unrealistic construction budgeting and realizable rent premiums. You might as well just add 20% construction cost contingency to every pro forma and keep this scenario as a conservative benchmark. Wayyy too many Chiefs and too few Indians in the construction space. Experienced skilled tradesmen and superintendents are in too short supply. Many don't want to admit it, but most of the development yield spread in growth markets is created on the back of cheap imported labor from Latin America.

Too much new housing has been built to unrealistic prices. Home absorption in the $400-600K range has slowed dramatically. Middle class families in America are unable (or unwilling) to afford homes in the $400K+ range; rising interest rates further exacerbates this issue.

A large bid–ask spread is developing in the land market. The big urban wrap multifamily development wave is over - the suburbs are back in vogue due to lower land costs. Millennials who wish to start a family are beginning a large migration to the suburbs. The live/work/play wet dream of Marxist urban planners is unsustainable and dangerous.

InVinoVeritas:
The live/work/play wet dream of Marxist urban planners is unsustainable and dangerous.

Great response, but what specifically are you referring to by this? Those mixed retail/residential areas popping between urban and suburban areas?

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Urban planners are prioritizing mixed-use development with small unit sizes at high rent $/PSF instead of affordable residential development (think $200-300K home prices). Municipal design demands on single-family residential at this price range is far too restrictive, therefore we have a national shortage of homes at this price point in rapidly growing areas. American home ownership is a large part of what made this country exceptional because home ownership is the primary way families build wealth. Municipal planners hubris and smug surety in their commie-block live/work/play high density development is a major hindrance to suburban growth in America (the areas which used to have the highest upward mobility before commute times to the skilled employment centers become ridiculously unreasonable).

Most Helpful
InVinoVeritas:
Sure, happy to give my two cents. The TLDR version is that smug out-of-touch urban planners, like central bankers, are destroying home affordability in the US and other countries by promoting crowded density which raises prices.

Really odd hard on for urban planners there.

Developers are delivering on density and mixed-use because the market, aka people, have a high demand for it. Mixed use development isn't some leftist conspiracy driven by someone making $40k a year out of a cube in the city government office and density doesn't inherently raise the price of anything except for land basis.

InVinoVeritas:
Urban planners are prioritizing mixed-use development with small unit sizes at high rent $/PSF instead of affordable residential development (think $200-300K home prices).

Building single family homes in urban areas is poor land use. Also, small unit sizes at high rent $/SF are still affordable for the average consumer on a sticker price basis. Renters don't rent on a PSF basis. Finally, homes in the $200k-$300k price point exist - so I'm not sure what you're on about there.

InVinoVeritas:
Municipal design demands on single-family residential at this price range is far too restrictive, therefore we have a national shortage of homes at this price point in rapidly growing areas.

Municipal design demands vary wildly from municipality to municipality, so you can't make blanket statements like that. Also, if an area is rapidly growing, that means it is desirable, which means housing costs will go up. Desirability and the laws of scarcity are driving up home prices in "rapidly growing areas" - not design demands.

InVinoVeritas:
American home ownership is a large part of what made this country exceptional because home ownership is the primary way families build wealth.

How did that work out in 2006-2008?

InVinoVeritas:
Municipal planners hubris and smug surety in their commie-block live/work/play high density development is a major hindrance to suburban growth in America (the areas which used to have the highest upward mobility before commute times to the skilled employment centers become ridiculously unreasonable).

Again, there is nothing "communist" about developers creating mixed-use assets that are highly desirable, highly profitable, and better for the fabric of a city (aka long term investment and job growth due to desirability) than sprawl, misplaced single family homes, highways, and big box stores with acres of surface parking.

There is a direct correlation between bureaucrats and Marxism, because Marxism is how they justify being paid ridiculous pensions and rising salaries without having to compete in the marketplace.

Have you ever had to listen to a planner pontificate for an hour on what they demand developed on your land/capital? I see you are in development...

Not when it is mandated and/or funded by municipal money through tax increment financing or infrastructure cost rebates. I do not believe municipalities should be able to pontificate what is built where on private property - the market will naturally sort this out.

For example, municipalities require retail all the time on the ground floor of multifamily where the storefronts will have limited visibility, access, parking, and signage. This stupidity just drags down the economics of the project and can actually result in a loan default. Many of the loans are made by GSE entities (Fannie/Freddie) which the taxpayers (you and I) have to backstop.

Something that I've known for a long time became really crystallized for me in 2018--genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. I've got endless great entrepreneurial ideas (mostly but not solely surrounding real estate), but in terms of implementing those ideas I'm paralyzed. My 9-5 job is too cushy and well compensated, which makes the risk of entrepreneurship high for me; I don't know how to get from zero to one even though I know what one looks like; and I lack the confidence.

In other words, I'm like 95% of Americans. Ideas are cheap. Show me a person confident enough to fail and a shitty salaried job--that's the person who has a future so bright he's got to wear shades.

Array

real_Skankhunt42:
My 9-5 job is too cushy and well compensated, which makes the risk of entrepreneurship high for me; I don't know how to get from zero to one even though I know what one looks like; and I lack the confidence.

This plus preexisting financial responsibilities. Entrepreneurs talk about not taking a salary for a year or more. Well, when your student loan payments are X, you're putting Y away every month for retirement, your mortgage is Z, and you want to have kids in the next 5 years...

This thread is telling me returns may be too low, the mental masturbation occurring here tells me people are not excited to buy assets. Back on topic: Biggest takeaways from 2018 is the future continues to be unpredictable and deals that we bought in 2017 that I thought were on the cusp of too expensive I would now murder my first born to be able to buy more of. So I think there is always money to be made you might just have to work harder for it and stick to real estate instead of socioeconomic political analysis.

CRE-Finance:
well there goes my lunch break... nice screen play though: "Battle of the Builder's"

Please tell me CRE or InVinoVeritas is named Bob. Would make the screenplay even cooler lol. Bonus points if it's both.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Rerum accusantium optio voluptas est commodi harum explicabo. Et odio dolorem reprehenderit est animi. Earum numquam sunt itaque natus quidem reprehenderit.

Soluta earum ipsam consectetur iure nisi repellendus et. Numquam sequi natus nisi quibusdam. Voluptatibus recusandae sunt dolores est consequatur.

Maxime eaque id similique perspiciatis laudantium ipsam. Ut dolor nisi possimus modi eligendi. Quaerat saepe optio non et ut aperiam ea.

Consequatur hic ducimus ipsa delectus. Autem sed et quis at. Sit sapiente aut quisquam delectus. Id culpa ut at.

Odio in ut qui. Nisi voluptas maiores facere voluptas et tempore. Delectus nihil officiis ipsam culpa velit quisquam ex nulla. Rem eum ullam aspernatur quia mollitia.

Nulla magnam aperiam consequuntur architecto. Ut non explicabo maxime nesciunt ipsa vitae rem. Eligendi minima quas aliquid dolores similique. Odio et vitae sit. Aspernatur aliquam sit a excepturi.

Qui odit similique sunt est voluptatem. Necessitatibus deserunt sunt consequuntur possimus aut. Quod fugiat vel quasi quas enim qui aliquam. Quo ut quae cupiditate.

Dolor temporibus architecto odit est est. Et animi sunt ut molestias.

Hic omnis explicabo placeat cum. Illo voluptate et veniam. Sapiente quam aut quis sit quis dolorum quo. Fugit aut iste explicabo earum impedit ut sequi. Dolorum tempora autem harum nihil. Non deleniti nisi non.

Architecto nihil vitae sunt magnam. Enim non recusandae ut optio quia et. Saepe cupiditate hic aspernatur rerum impedit eos totam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”