Hi fellow monkeys,
Here is the situation. I've been at my firm (F500) for about a year and a half in an analyst position within the executive group primarily focusing on corporate finance, investor relations and some corporate strategy projects. I've also passed the first 2 CFA exams and taking on the 3rd one in June this year.
I was contacted by a recruiter for a BD analyst position in a respected local MM PE fund. It's a difficult place to break in without IB experience which I don't have and it sounds like a good opportunity even though I'm afraid I won't like the job function. However, I see value into learning the "sales" aspect of high finance.
My short term goal is to get into a M7 program in the next 2-4 years and I am thinking having PE experience even though it's not investment team exp would help my case. How is BD at PE valued by an admission committee?
Also if you guys could shed some light on:
- What is the average pay and & % bonus you've seen for BD at PE at the analyst/associate level?
- Would the BD experience help me land an investment team gig straight out of MBA? I am thinking I will have to do an IB stint first but I am wondering if some of you have made the direct transition?
Thank you for your time.
Private Equity Interview Course
- 2,447 questions across 203 private equity funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 mem.
- 9 Detailed LBO Modeling Tests and 15+ hours of video solutions.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring private equity professionals just like you.