COVID Impact on MBA Fall 2020 Applications

Most people I've talked to about MBA applications this fall think that class sizes will be smaller and that fears of longer-term recessions may drive up applications. HBS gave incoming students the option to defer, which I would imagine would further complicate the admissions process. Others I've spoken with think that the fear of virtual classes will scare away many from applying. It seems like the at-home GMAT test is a major hassle since you can't use actual scrap paper for the quant section (there are also no breaks and you can't cancel your scores, which don't even come in for another week or so). I had looked to sign up for the GMAT at a test center the other day and there wasn't anything available until late-July (normal backlog of a few weeks). I would think there's a chance that the Round I deadlines get pushed back but that's not something I would want to bank on.

I've thought that I would go to business school for quite some time now but I'm now a bit more uncertain about my outlook toward going post-COVID as now classes may be virtual for an extended period of time and a good part of the social experience will likely be negatively impacted, at least in the shorter-term.

For people who were thinking about applying this year, have you changed your outlook on MBA applications (e.g., are you now less likely to apply / go, are you thinking of deferring your application by 1-2 years)? And for students currently enrolled in MBA programs or those about to start this fall, have you had any regrets about your decision to go?

For context, I'm at a MM / UMM fund that has a good track record with HBS / GSB (e.g., AEA, Crestview, New Mountain, Golden Gate, Berkshire, THL, MDP, GTCR, etc.). I am not sure if I would get promoted internally at this point although I think I'm in decent standing. I really like my firm and the job overall so I'm wondering if it makes more sense to focus on doing whatever I can to get a return offer. I would mainly be going to business school for the network and to meet all sorts of people from different backgrounds and to have the ability to try something new for at least a summer (e.g., public markets or corporate strategy). If I were to end up staying in PE, I would probably want to stay here unless my S/O and I decide to move to another city. Obviously the decision on whether or not to get an MBA is a personal choice but I'm especially curious to hear how other PE associates in a similar boat are thinking through this situation.

Thanks!

Hey Associate 1 in PE - LBOs, I'm here because nobody responded to this thread after a few days...maybe one of these resources will help you:

More suggestions...

Fingers crossed that one of those helps you.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

OP here.

I am going to apply (aiming for Round 1, we will see how the GMAT shakes out). There are multiple people in the class above me who are going to HBS this fall (no deferrals).

I do think it will be a bit more competitive this year but I still want to apply. I also don’t want to bank on landing a third year offer (although my first year review went a little better than I had expected).

Most Helpful

It's really too hard to say how everything will be impacted. It turns out that second round this past year was the best time imaginable to apply- schools took massive waitlists and then took tons of people off of them, particularly Americans because international students have visa issues. I know one day when 20 US PE candidates got in off the HBS waitlist, weeks after HBS said they would going with a ~700 person class. Will this next year be more difficult? Perhaps. It's possible the virus situation won't be resolved and they'll need to over-index on US applicants again. In sum, I wouldn't think too much about will it be harder or not as there is simply too much uncertainty right now. Apply to more schools if you're worried, more options is never a bad thing, especially as top schools try to limit "traditional" admits

Consequuntur occaecati cumque nostrum rerum earum delectus. Et earum ut at.

Perspiciatis pariatur maiores et et qui. Delectus quasi expedita et aut. Doloremque est dolore eligendi voluptas et porro laudantium et. Earum explicabo culpa ut. Blanditiis commodi ratione ullam quidem ducimus maiores aliquam. A ullam ut nihil hic asperiores qui quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”