ER Bonuses: 2012

How'd everyone do this go around? I get a sense that the street was very tough this year but all of the focus is on IBD and not ER so there's very few data points. I think it's helpful to collect as much comp info as possible to understand the health of our business and also for people to know whether they're fairly compensated. Obviously privacy/anonymity is important here but fill out something generic if you don't mind, as I have done below.

Firm Type: MM (Jefferies/RBC/Stifel)
Role: 3rd Year ER Associate
Base: Raised to 90k from 80k
Bonus: 50k cash

I'm having a hard time even getting phone interviews for ER Associate positions with ~17 months FT experience in a MF capacity, passed Level I of CFA and currently studying for Level II.

They straight up tell me, "We want people with extensive modeling capabilities that can hit the ground running." How do people get jobs like this right out of undergrad?

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.

rjroberts1:
Firm Type: Boutique Location: South Role: 3rd Year ER Associate Base: $75k Bonus: $75k cash

Seems really high to me - but good for you!

Are you only 3-years out of undergrad or did you come into the industry with some relevant experience?

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/_KarateBoy_

Maybe it's sample bias? People who are happy with their bonus are more likely to report it?

I'm in your camp - I WISH I got a 50K bonus so that I can pay off a huge chunk of my remaining student loans.

I thought the bull-case for my bonus 35K so I was way off the mark lol

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/_KarateBoy_

Best Response
aempirei:
DCFwacc, if you don't mind, can you explain your path from undergrad to 1st-year associate?

Sure.

Small private college in northeast, very average in terms of academic credibility and next to nothing in the way of finance OCR. I took a job with an investment data platform (one of Bloomberg/Thomson/FactSet) - figured it'd be my best shot at networking with AM and research guys, though it's by no means the kind of job one should strive for if you want to get into research. Did very well while there, got 2 promotions, sat for CFA level I. Started HEAVY networking last year while studying for Level II. Reached out to anyone and everyone - the few UG alum that made their way into finance, random linkedin connections, cold calling HR, etc. Ended up with a handful of interviews, and got 2 offers out of it, but it took a good 10 months of serious effort. The job I took was for a brand new industry vertical (initiating coverage) at a firm with a growing reputation in research and with a senior analyst with a good rep that came over from a BB. Started last June.

Perferendis officiis rerum et voluptatem deleniti. Cum doloremque repellat aliquid laboriosam dolorum. Aspernatur optio et maiores id omnis consequatur. Quia animi eos quidem. Ullam nihil est et ut id.

Nostrum rerum aut sit consequatur. A error excepturi eius. Fugiat itaque dolor dolor esse ut est eos accusantium. Quidem vel numquam ducimus voluptate nihil. Cumque rerum sunt soluta voluptatem dignissimos quisquam sit atque. Magnam alias delectus quo nihil voluptatum nihil vel.

Dicta maiores nam omnis nam non deserunt. Et quo perferendis suscipit itaque quam optio dolorum. Assumenda commodi omnis ad ut doloremque.

Doloremque magnam molestiae voluptas dolorem dignissimos. Est occaecati aspernatur dignissimos iste excepturi minima. Accusantium aliquid totam repellat enim blanditiis. Ut quo hic nemo cupiditate ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”