EVR Top Groups (2021)

Hey monkeys,

I'm currently going through the group placement process at EVR, which is still quite new. Wanted to get some thoughts from the street on the top groups to join at EVR (culture, exits, dealflow) and maybe some thoughts on the usual suspects (Media, Tech, Telecom). Heard the Tech group culture has changed quite a bit with the exodus from last year. Can anyone confirm? Also interested in hearing if people have thoughts on other groups like Transpo, HC, C&R etc..

Thanks!

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (59)

Jul 15, 2021 - 2:29pm

All are fairly well-regarded. Prob the "top" groups of today are the ones that just announced the latest mega deals in their industry. Evercore is probably involved in a fair amount of the mega deals in every industry but prob from the perspective of a recent graduate going there for a few years the "top" groups may ebb and flow based on which industry is currently the hottest and doing the biggest deals at the moment. So yea TMT prob nice now. RX. financials probably heating up given earnings. C/R prob doing well too with reopening stuff. Just my guess

• Analyst 2 in IB - Cov
Jul 15, 2021 - 2:40pm

They post their deals on their website, so just scroll through to see where they are active. Looks like C/R, HC, Media / Telecoms are pretty strong. 

Maybe go based on what industry you like also. Evercore is probably strong across most verticals. Healthcare is pretty busy with secular drivers, so would consider looking at that.  

Most Helpful
  • Associate 1 in PE - LBOs
Jul 16, 2021 - 6:46pm

Overall best is Media - good hours and good deal flow.

Generalist is a total joke due to lack of oversight. The kids - who either are unwanted by other groups (most) or managed to avoid dedication due to luck or circumstance (a few) - basically don't work. Inch-perfect fit if you're trying to optimize for hourly pay and lifestyle, but definitely some downsides experience-wise. Think they're trying to get rid of it, though.

Chemicals, Sponsors (the GP-selling one), and RE are all chill. 

Transpo and Telecom are fratty and generally well regarded. Definitely on the harder working side (of Evercore, not the street), though. But if you're on the beach, you're on the beach. They go hard only when they have to. 

Notoriously grindy (again, vs. Evercore average; still good vs. Street) groups include Healthcare, Industrials, Tech, Banks, and P&U. First three are bigger so you can find a niche within, though.

Anyone not mentioned above is a middle-of-the-road experience.

They recruit separately, so not to hard to do, but try to avoid all the product groups (other than maybe Rx and DCM/ECM). Being crossed-staffed with them sucked - time-wasting, work-shirking, and generally clueless. 

Source: 3 years at the 'Core. 

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Jul 17, 2021 - 9:09am

As someone who has done RX at HL and MC and has had friends and still has friends in EVR RX I can say in my humble opinion EVR is definitely up there. Maybe because it's size it is not always a leader in the league tables as the regular guys are but in terms of knowledge, skill set, exits etc it sounds like a top tier group. My friends there have gone on to amazing stuff and one of my favorite associates from MC is now a VP in EVR RX. I think the group is respected on the street but I think the RX side of the busienss may just not be as emphasized at EVR since it's a very heavily invested business in the mega cap M&A world as compared to HL, MC and even PJT to some extent

• Intern in IB - Gen
Jul 17, 2021 - 12:11pm

Agree with your takes, but don't think you had to call people clueless...

• PM in HF - EquityHedge
Jul 18, 2021 - 11:35pm

How can you "agree with [his/her] takes" as an intern? Especially one who assumedly is doing/did a virtual internship? And what exactly did you expect in an opinion thread about tons of groups? Uniform positivity?

Sounds like you should try for one of the "clueless" groups. 

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Jul 17, 2021 - 12:39pm

Irrelevant to this thread, but how's the energy group perceived in the firm?

• Summer Associate in IB-M&A
Jul 17, 2021 - 2:49pm

Can you specialize from jump in one of the niches in HC, Tech or Ind? Or do you have to work broadly across the group for a while first?

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Jul 17, 2021 - 4:12pm

Have heard anecdotally that the chill/lifestyle groups like RE, GP-Stakes Sponsors, and Chemicals have regressed towards the mean in terms of hours. Have you found/heard that to be true? Would love to hear any additional info on those three groups since I'm looking at them pretty closely in the placement process 

Jul 18, 2021 - 3:47pm

To add a few extra points, my current connections/friends/people I know there in terms of them/their groups:

CR: friendly guy. Former VP when we were at MoCo together. Never worked with him directly but was friendly and helpful and we had some mutual friends. I think he is pretty chill but I'm sure he can work hard during deal time, etc

teleco's: another VP I worked with at moco moved over to EVR and does teleco or related I believe. He was definitely a fun guy and sometimes felt like just another "bro" in our analyst class even though he was a VP. Granted, for those who worked with him directly he was known to be pretty high expectations/brought the best out of you even if it was hard at times. I did work with him on some projects before I left which was mainly helping some ED do a ton of work and build out some of his personal practice to help him get the MD promote which our friend did and then this VP guy moved over to EVR not too long afterwards. Would work with him again, but I can hear and understand why people say this may be an intense group. 

banks: interviewed with this group at one point when I was not working. Nice guys and it was to work on a recent SMDs team. They seemed very busy but kinda tough to work with. All the juniors were friendly but the SMD just kinda looked at me during the interview and kinda said "eh, not sure this is a fit" so that was the end of that…

Nov 11, 2021 - 1:12pm

Any insights won't be too helpful because the group has had a fair amount of change since COVID happened. Used to be 2 groups (P&U and Infra, which had its own strange arrangement with the Transpo group). Then the partner in charge of P&U moved to Guggenheim and the two groups were merged. In the past month, they just hired 2 new partners so TBD on what the top-down culture will be like as a result

• Intern in IB - Gen
Nov 12, 2021 - 3:41am

Quia quo in facilis incidunt. Delectus et est error ad ipsa. Ut reprehenderit quis hic nulla similique exercitationem a.

Animi eaque occaecati nisi. Corrupti enim qui soluta facere iure sit. Et enim optio a et fuga officiis. Voluptas quis quasi cumque reiciendis.

Assumenda eum ut aliquid odio. Rerum qui et quia qui. Soluta asperiores modi voluptatibus ipsum autem ullam mollitia.

Officiis accusamus quia vitae in officia aut laborum. Incidunt et iste voluptatem quam ducimus ipsa. Sed et esse dolor quae voluptatem numquam. Rerum molestiae necessitatibus quo ducimus et dolores et.

• Intern in IB - Gen
Nov 12, 2021 - 3:42am

Ea culpa voluptates commodi voluptatum blanditiis alias modi. Porro doloremque nobis unde omnis.

Aut recusandae repellat magnam qui unde neque ut. Autem omnis aut cum voluptate. Fuga molestiae nihil ea eos nobis est eum. Ex et laborum ullam neque. Facere error quasi repellat optio provident. Quo natus repellat quam est non quia consectetur.

Nobis ullam velit fugit. Consequatur et corporis praesentium odit. Impedit magnam magnam dignissimos ad tempore voluptatem. Laboriosam et ratione est voluptate rerum facere et.

Ducimus vero adipisci optio ipsam non. Et officia illo voluptatum odit sit saepe. Qui tempore nisi aut eos dolorem omnis.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

December 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (40) $360
  • Associates (237) $235
  • 2nd Year Analyst (145) $156
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (34) $154
  • Intern/Summer Associate (107) $146
  • 1st Year Analyst (515) $136
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (396) $84