i think you should add in more school activities/leadership. most of my interview questions were pertaining to that and don't even have anything finance related in my extracurriculars. for reference, i got a FT BB offer. but most important for FT roles is networking, not the resume

Skimmed for 10 seconds. Make sure you figure out a way to get all your bullets to the end of the page. And make sure all your bullets are quantifiable outcomes, like in your wealth management internship. For example, in your recent internship instead of just saying you created CIMs, quantify how many and maybe generally describe what areas you focused on. Try to be as specific as possible in all your bullets as most people will say general things like financial modeling and due diligence. It's the quantifiable outcome that will help you stand out from 90% of other candidates and draw attention to your resume. Also most internships that people have are fluff so don't worry about that. Your experience looked pretty good at a quick glance just make sure you put as much unique stuff as possible that's impactful and you should be fine. Don't put anything that you couldn't speak to in an interview, but if you can, it's okay to embellish the details. Everyone is doing that

Really appreciate the response. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out for me. I genuinely appreciate it a lot. 

Np. Looks reasonably good overall. GPA could be better but I'm sure if you network hard it'll be fine. Happy to take a look at your resume again after you make edits. And just to add on to my previous comment, when I say quantifiable it's also going to depend on context. It doesn't always have to be I created x CIM's or memos. It may be as simple as inserting the EBITDA range of the company you worked with. If numbers don't make sense for a particular bullet, try to be as specific as possible in what you did qualitatively then. You do a good job at that in some bullets. Make sure to detail the industry you worked on, including niches and subsectors for example. Or maybe throw in that it was an LOI stage deal. Make sure to throw out buzz words like analyzed IRR or determined an enterprise value range of $xxx to $xxx. It'll make your resume stand out more in banker screens and maybe even help if they use ATS. Like you def have enough experience that in a resume screen you look like a good candidate. 2 IB and one merchant banking internships is fucking huge. Just fluff the bullets until they're all quantifiable or specific qualitatively and people will think you're a rockstar. Best of luck

P.S Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are sick ass shows. Also have BB in my interests section haha. 

Most Helpful

Yeah, I am sure some people probably more senior people look at me like a total nerd but with some analysts associates and even VP's I've talked about Counter-Strike, Overwatch, and League of Legends with them and they all seemed to love it. They also bring up if I play any games competitively and I told them I'm actually Grandmaster Rank (which is like 0.00031% of total players) and that I am on our official college team, and have gotten pretty good reactions.  So I am pretty in the middle about what I should do, probably just take it off to be safe. 

Disagree. Be yourself.

I led summer, on-cycle and off-cycle FT recruit at my EB. Going into MF PE this fall. Can say that me and the other lead interviewer would've loved that, and can strike up some really interesting chords about e-sports if you actually know what you're talking about. GM in League is particularly impressive (it's like top 0.1% of NA? Imagine being top 0.1% for literally anything), and being on collegiate is cool as well. 

In my experience, you have 3 types of ppl in IB - athletes/jocks, hardo nerds and vanilla flakes. The latter is probably the most rare and it's the person that doesn't have really any hobbies to be honest, goes with the flow, might even be a diversity hire, and likely quits IB after a year. They just chose it because it was an available option, they had alum pushing them through and they end up realizing they don't have the temperament or ambition to see it through. They'll think e-sports is weird. But like I said they're quitting ASAP especially during COVID so unlikely to be interviewing anyways. Hardo nerds - enough said - video games / board games enthusiast. And in my experience, the current generation of athletes/jocks love gaming on their spare time. It might be more tilted to COD / Modern Warfare / Fortnite (try telling KAT, Gordon Hayward or Ben Simmons that they're lame for gaming) as opposed to MOBAs, but I think they would think it's cool that you played collegiate kind of like how they might have played Div 3 for their college. I'm kind of a split between 1 and 2 myself. 5 years ago that probably would be seen as lame but I think it's cool. On the off-chance you manage to talk about TSM vs TL or how Irelia has somehow escaped nerfs for 2 months, you're a shoo-in for the next round.

Besides, interests is the only place where you actually can have a bit of fun and go eclectic / bizarre. It's supposed to be the thing that makes a screener read "wait what? That's actually kind of interesting." Going to be honest, if I see 1 more resume with "finance clubs / skiing / soccer" I might ff15 (ALT + F4 equivalent). Honestly if you think gaming is weird you probably think anime sucks too and at that point you just have no fucking taste. The only thing is, I would change wording to pump it up and go from "e-sports" to mentioning your collegiate experience.  

I would toss out e-sports and replace my with LOL (top 0.00031%). The way it stands it only die-hard e-sports fans will notice and ask. The replacement however will catch the eye of a lot of more people. I’m not into e-sports much but even I know how competitive the game is and that you have a serious accomplishment. You could even tie it back to the soft skills of an analyst in an interview if you play your cards right (work ethic, teamwork, communication, etc.)

Array

Really appreciate that, but do you really think so? Yes, the roles and stuff seem good and I have a lot of relevant internships, but I feel like my bullets are SO WEAK. Not like the way I worded them, but what I actually did at the internships themselves. 3 of them were sadly virtual at small firms so each internship was not really structured at all. It came down to them not knowing what work to give me virtually and I was constantly asking them for more work.  

Think you have a good start, but there is lots of room for improvement.

First, you’re wasting a lot of space on your resume by starting second lines for your bullet points but not filling out the entire line. You should try to fill out every line, and not waste any space.

Second, You should write your bullets keeping the following in mind:

1) Action — What did I actually do? Utilize action verbs to more articulately describe what you did in each position.

2) Context — It certainly helps the resume screener / reader understand your actions and the value you generated when they understand the whole picture.

3) Result — Why did I do this? What value did this generate? ALWAYS include this, especially in conjunction with the prior two points. What’s the point of including something on your resume if you can’t demonstrate what the importance was behind it. Again, showcase you recognize not only why you did something, but what actually resulted from it, and how it helped your firm. Even if the task you’re listing didn’t amount to shit, write it out like it was important.

For example, lets rewrite one of your bullets keeping all of the above in mind.

”Assisted in creating CIM”

becomes

”Assisted deal team during a sell-side engagement with the positioning section of a CIM, highlighting the attractive end markets and growth opportunities for potential buyers”

Even if you’re indulging a bit, that phrasing will turn heads on its on. Thats the point of the resume — attract the attention of the MD / HR screener / bot that will fast track you to the live interviews, where you can really shine by demonstrating you know your shit.

Try and rewrite your resume with all this in mind, and fill out your lines all the way across the page. Good luck!!!

Culpa qui et distinctio fugiat odio consequatur. Dolores est magnam rem ut et ea minus. Enim autem velit consequatur excepturi saepe enim. At saepe dolores porro. Ut sit error veniam dolorem tenetur.

Voluptate quibusdam ut neque. Autem quidem recusandae ullam et tempora voluptatem. Eaque accusamus ad numquam est nihil repellendus. Illum omnis dolorem aut dolorem.

Assumenda esse necessitatibus asperiores fuga. Impedit sequi autem rerum et neque quos. Quo tempora quo molestias maxime cumque quibusdam voluptates voluptas. Tempora illum velit voluptatem sint nostrum delectus aut. Aliquam ipsum velit corrupti esse cumque quis nisi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”