Fake News Awards

So Trump recently released the first ever Fake News Awards. See below:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/17/presi…

1) The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claiming markets would ‘never’ recover from a Trump presidency

2) ABC News' Brian Ross’ bungled report on former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn

3) CNN falsely reporting the Trump campaign had early access to hacked documents from WikiLeaks

4) TIME report that Trump removed a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr. from the Oval Office

5) The Washington Post’s Dave Weigel tweeting that Trump’s December rally in Pensacola, Fla., wasn’t packed with supporters

6) CNN’s video suggesting Trump overfed fish during a visit with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

7) CNN’s retracted report claiming Anthony Scaramucci-Russia ties

8) Newsweek report that Polish First Lady Agata Kornhauser-Duda did not shake Trump’s hand

9) CNN report that former FBI Director James Comey would dispute President Trump’s claim he was told he was not under investigation

10) The New York Times report that the Trump administration had hidden a climate-change study

11) In Trump’s words, "‘RUSSIA COLLUSION!’ Russian collusion is perhaps the greatest hoax perpetrated on the American people. THERE IS NO COLLUSION!”

Thoughts? Have we ever seen anything like this in presidential politics? Has the media ever been this wrong about any other president 1 year into their presidency?

Best Response

When you asked this: "Have we ever seen anything like this in presidential politics?"... I thought it would go a very different direction than this: "Has the media ever been this wrong about any other president 1 year into their presidency?"

Our head of state is literally a caricature, he's running some fake "fake news" award garbage and you're worried about the attention seeking media getting some stories wrong. Perfect.

Even worse, the first one is an opinion not "news" at all and most of these are mundane nonsense. MLK bust? Overfeeding fish? Shaking hands? A tweet (not even a full story) about rally attendance? This is what our head of state is spending his time on and your take is "damn the media has been wrong". Perfect.

Array

m8:
"Most of these are mundane nonsense", I agree 100% with you.

But this is what the media is choosing to cover about Trump as they breathlessly attempt to discredit him at every turn. It is utter nonsense, and Trump is calling them out on it.

And that is actually the point. The media spends more time covering handshakes than it does covering actual policy.

Array

I'm shocked that you're uninterested in how biased (and WRONG!) the media has been towards this president. Really, shocked. As always, thank you for your contribution.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

I’m sure if CNN did a fraction of this to Obama he would be pissed.

Who cares about Trump. The fact that CNN has no credibility, yet is portrayed as the US version of the BBC is what’s worrying. It’s played in every airport. Every office. And they continually make shit up.

90% of the press coverage on trump is negative. Excluding fox, I’d imagine that number would be much higher. It’s as if he has done nothing objectively good. Total joke.

Major news talking about trumps Diet Coke habit or claiming he will have a heart attack because his doctor wants him to lose 10 lbs. trash.

His point was not making mistakes, it was about deliberate misinformation to try and discredit the president. Making a mistake and then correcting it is one thing, Lying for the express intent of trying to push your political agenda is competely different.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Yes. Is there an instance in presidential history where a president, in a single year of his presidency, had 11 false news stories published about him by a major media outlet. It's pretty straightforward. I'm not trying to complicate it.

And when I say wrong, I mean objectively wrong. Here's an example of what I mean: link to WSJ article criticizing Obama's recovery as "wrong" because the stock market gained x% in a certain timeframe does not qualify.

Again, I mean objectively wrong.

Esuric:
Yes. Is there an instance in presidential history where a president, in a single year of his presidency, had 11 false news stories published about him by a major media outlet. It's pretty straightforward. I'm not trying to complicate it.

And when I say wrong, I mean objectively wrong. Here's an example of what I mean: link to WSJ article criticizing Obama's recovery as "wrong" because the stock market gained x% in a certain timeframe does not qualify.

Again, I mean objectively wrong.

I honestly can't think of any. The media's attack on Trump and publishing either false or exaggerated stories, is unprecedented. And no, this is not comparable to Nixon, where the President committed actual crimes, and the media did a noble service by publicizing it.

how is paul krugman considered an economist when he is wrong about everything and said 3% GDP growth was "literally impossible" as he put it?

If he is such a great economist why doesn't he put his money where his mouth is and actually take risk on his economic predictions?

almost like he is a fraud hahaha, nah that couldn't be it!

yea it's me and i wasn't wrong 3% growth is impossible also the markets have never recovered from drumpf's presidency

also i was not wrong about those things i was wrong about keep reading my NYT articles :~)

The president is singly handedly unraveling the entire left-wing infrastructure of false narratives and subversion. The truth is absolutely clear to the unbiased observer. Only the zealots still cling onto their now discredited beliefs.

How does someone hold a regular job talking like this? Take this hard right garbage to Breitbart.

The President's strategy is working so well that the Republicans lost a Senate seat in Alabama, the Virginia governorship, and state seats all over the country in special elections since the 2016 general.

"I don't know how to explain to you that you should care about other people."

next are you going to pull an Schreckstoff and tell him he doesn't exist if he doesn't agree with you?

jeez man you might be the one who needs to get a grip, i can literally picture you slamming your keys sweating while typing this lol

"if people don't agree with me they can't have normal jobs!!!" would you also throw them out of society too?

onemanwolfpack:
How does someone hold a regular job talking like this? Take this hard right garbage to Breitbart.

The President's strategy is working so well that the Republicans lost a Senate seat in Alabama, the Virginia governorship, and state seats all over the country in special elections since the 2016 general.

I agree that Trump is not popular and has a poor political strategy. With that said, the GOP lost the Alabama senate seat because of horrible sexual allegations against the GOP nominee and the Virginia governor was already a Democrat. Let's just be honest about that...

Array

onemanwolfpack:

This is just intellectual pussy talk. Make your point if you have one. Don't rely on these cowardly argumentation tactics.

onemanwolfpack:

We shall see.

But to all the drones on this website, here's my challenge to you all:

I'll kindly STFU if anyone can give me an example of the media being this biased and this wrong about any other president, one year into their presidency.

Put up or shut up. Either refute the topic of this thread or don't but don't come crying here because you can't.

Love how losing the AL seat to a Democrat in name only after endless press smearing (anything come from those acquisitions?), Republicans running against their candidate and the party cutting off funding, is supposed to be indicative of Trump losing.

Everyone forgets the other two “referendums” that Republicans one.

And VA is a blue state. All those government workers moving into the state.

TNA:
Love how losing the AL seat to a Democrat in name only after endless press smearing (anything come from those acquisitions?), Republicans running against their candidate and the party cutting off funding, is supposed to be indicative of Trump losing.

Please, keep thinking that. No seriously, please do, all the way through the midterms. Ignore the fact that Wisconsin lost a state Senate seat yesterday in a district Trump carried +17, Alabama lost a seat that Jeff Sessions won +96 in 2014, Oklahoma lost a Senate seat Trump won +40, and over 30 Republicans have retired rather than run again this Fall.

Everything is fine with the GOP. None of this is Trump's fault. No need to show up at the ballot box in November. No blue wave coming, no issue of extremely motivated Democractic voters, everything will be fine ;)

Great. The seat AL lost had everything going against him. Now there is a moderate dem who will lose to a normal Republican.

Good work in Wisconsin. State senate seat, wow.

Republicans still control the state. Besides, it was a blue state until Trump won it.

And I am sure Democrats will pick up seats. Much like how republicans did it with a obama.

Can’t wait for the party of impeaching a lawfully elected president. What a joke liberals have become.

onemanwolfpack:
TNA:

Please, keep thinking that. No seriously, please do, all the way through the midterms. Ignore the fact that Wisconsin lost a state Senate seat yesterday in a district Trump carried +17, Alabama lost a seat that Jeff Sessions won +96 in 2014, Oklahoma lost a Senate seat Trump won +40, and over 30 Republicans have retired rather than run again this Fall.

Everything is fine with the GOP. None of this is Trump's fault. No need to show up at the ballot box in November. No blue wave coming, no issue of extremely motivated Democractic voters, everything will be fine ;)

I agree that the midterms will be tough for the GOP, and I've written about this before in another thread. But your post, like many of your posts, reek of sarcasm and hyperbole without adding substantive value to the discussion.

honestly i think onemanwolfpack is one of those dudes who goes marching with the pink hats and talks about "the future is female" to try to get 300 lb blue hair triggered speices women to talk to him lol

i can't think of any other reason he would be this mad online over politik

I voted for McCain and Romney, and have been happily married longer than you’ve been out of high school. Otherwise you nailed it my man.

Multiple things can be true at once

1) Most of the popular news outlets are left leaning and were too easy on Obama 2) Many of these same outlets seem extra motivated to call out every Trump gaffe/lie/broken promise while Trump uses the media as a scapegoat for every issue 3) Trump makes more gaffes/lies/broken promises than any President in our lifetime 4) Fox has shifted from a needed balance in the news ecosystem, to a state-sponsored mouthpiece for Trump and the Republican party 5) Far more people receive their version of the news exclusively from Fox than from the left leaning organizations

The Republicans lost a seat in Alabama because the democrat he was running against was responsible for getting justice for people who killed during church bombings back in the 60s over 25 years later. Yet no one seemed to cover that part of it.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

What's with these stupid aggressive, baiting posts on WSO. This is the sort of shit that drives away users and turns this forum into a shithole (I get the irony). If you want to talk about stuff like this, actually talk to the dude sitting next to you at the office or go to reddit.

aljdljaldla:
What's with these stupid aggressive, baiting posts on WSO. This is the sort of shit that drives away users and turns this forum into a shithole (I get the irony). If you want to talk about stuff like this, actually talk to the dude sitting next to you at the office or go to reddit.

Talking about politics at work is a bad idea. And people on reddit are mostly idiots. WSO, presumably, has a lot of intelligent educated professionals, so if anything, engaging in political discussion on WSO is preferable. And since the members are anonymous, it also allows us to be honest with our thoughts.

Dances With Newfoundland:
aljdljaldla:

Talking about politics at work is a bad idea. And people on reddit are mostly idiots. WSO, presumably, has a lot of intelligent educated professionals, so if anything, engaging in political discussion on WSO is preferable. And since the members are anonymous, it also allows us to be honest with our thoughts.

haha people on WSO are smart LMAO good one dude that was funny

ACP7:
Really? The "largest inauguration crowd ever" didn't make it to the Top 11? Clear snub right there

But why did that stupid and unimportant Trump statement get wall-to-wall coverage for, like, a week in the mainstream press? It was a moronic Trump statement but of zero news merit, especially for the amount of time that went into investigating that claim. I'd wager there was more news coverage of that than Trump announcing the move of the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.

Array

I don't know why, and I won't presume to know. However, if I had to guess, I would say it is less about the bit itself (whether it was the largest crowd or not is really not relevant in itself), but rather about what it says about the person (falsely) claiming it.

Similarly, it is what I really fail to understand about Trump and his "supporters" (I don't even understand the concept of personal support in politics - it's not a fucking sports team for it to be supported blindly). The case with all these "gaffes" (like this one, or the shitholegate, for example) is not how impactful those things are, but rather what they reveal about the personality of the man that leads the nation, and I really can't grasp why that seems unimportant to some people.

Yes, maybe the lenses of the media should have been more directed towards his policies, and I guess no one can deny a general bias against him. But I also believe that it was Trump that brought this on himself. Still, some of you claim the media's mistakes are irreversible and everything is fake news now, unreadable and untrustworthy, but somehow Trump's actions do not undermine at all his credibility and ability to be President. It's just not coherent.

This thread is filled with nonsense. The false equivalencies here posted by Trump supporters are unacceptable to anyone who follows current events.

To people saying that Obama used the IRS to target the Tea Party, anyone who followed that case to it's conclusion knows that it is a zombie story. The IRS autied groups with words like "social welfare" and "progressive" in them, too. This was not a scandal, much less a partisan scandal. https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/555975207/as-irs-targeted-tea-party-grou…

To people talking about Obama wiretapping James Rosen, that was in order to find someone leaking classified information. It was not to put Rosen in jail or charge him with something. Trump literally told James Comey to put journalists in jail while he was still FBI Director. He also has trashed the US media while on foreign soil and gone on Twitter saying that broadcast licenses for outlets he disagrees with should be revoked, among other ridiculous ideas. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/business/media/trumps-urging-that-co…

SwapInterestingRate]To people saying that Obama used the IRS to target the Tea Party, anyone who followed that case to it's conclusion knows that it is a zombie story. The IRS autied groups with words like social welfare and progressive in them, too. This was not a scandal, much less a partisan scandal. <a href=https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/555975207/as-irs-targeted-tea-party-groups-it-went-after-progressives-too[/quote rel=nofollow>https://www.npr.org/2017/10/05/555975207/as-irs-targeted-tea-party-grou…</a>]</p> <p>Nope, nothing to see here:</p> <p><a href=https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/us/politics/irs-tea-party-lawsuit-settlement.html rel=nofollow>https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/us/politics/irs-tea-party-lawsuit-se…</a></p> <p><em>The Justice Department settled two lawsuits with conservative groups that claimed the Internal Revenue Service had unfairly scrutinized them during applications for tax-exempt status. The government agreed to a multimillion-dollar settlement to resolve one lawsuit, which was brought on behalf of 428 groups, said Edward Greim, the lead lawyer for the plaintiffs. The government will not pay damages to the 41 groups in the second lawsuit, but the I.R.S. acknowledged its conduct was wrong.</em></p> <p>And ya know, that whole Lois Lerner pleading the Fifth Amendment? Yeah, nothing to see.</p> <p>[quote=SwapInterestingRate:
To people talking about Obama wiretapping James Rosen, that was in order to find someone leaking classified information. It was not to put Rosen in jail or charge him with something. Trump literally told James Comey to put journalists in jail while he was still FBI Director. He also has trashed the US media while on foreign soil and gone on Twitter saying that broadcast licenses for outlets he disagrees with should be revoked, among other ridiculous ideas. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/business/media/trumps-urging-that-co…

The DOJ apologized to James Rosen for their misconduct. You can't even acknowledge their misconduct when the DOJ actually apologized for it.

Array

SwapInterestingRate posts proof that conservatives AND liberals were targeted: you sieze on the part that discusses only the conservative portion. That's very very intellectually honest. BTW, per the report, this occured from 2004-2013, so four of those years were prior to Obama.

SwapInterestingRate posts proof that no wiretapping occured and (accurately) stated they were looking for a leaker: you go on about an apology. An apology for misconduct does not mean they apologized for trying to jail him or targeted him due to negative coverage, like you originally stated. But I'm the pathological liar. Amazing.

Array

You would think I was some hyperpolitical toolbox based on my post history, what's crazy is I'm really not. All politicians are generally self-serving assholes. I just feel compelled to generally speak up in what has quickly become a conservative echo chamber. You've no idea how many people who don't bother have msged me thanking me for contradicting the general nonsense that goes on in these political discussions, or at least providing a different viewpoint.

p.s. No one is forcing you to read or post on these threads either, just sayin'

Array

Post-truth politics, where facts come after opinions, is deteriorating the world. Trump is sticking it to us as Americans for being exceptional.

This mid-term cycle has only gotten worse with new lunies coming to light like Chelsea Manning, and radical progressivism as the new norm.

Who cares about Trump's policies when he's making shithole comments and doing this stupid fake news awards?

People on WSO defending Trump's vulgarity is astounding. Appreciate the policy but leave the idiocy at home and between social interactions. There's no excuses, no matter what policy is being implemented.

i get you dislike trump and you are some neocon ben shapiro shill lord, but come on man this dude thurnis haley just said he wants people who are part of the opposite political parties or live in red states to "wither away and die"

that is scary stuff lol

you don't find that more scary than someone saying some mean insults? this dude is literally wishing death upon you and anyone (even if they are democrats) who live in red states JUST give me a break how is this allowed on WSO

Dig Bumb Idiot:
i get you dislike trump and you are some neocon ben shapiro shill lord, but come on man this dude thurnis haley just said he wants people who are part of the opposite political parties or live in red states to "wither away and die"

that is scary stuff lol

you don't find that more scary than someone saying some mean insults? this dude is literally wishing death upon you and anyone (even if they are democrats) who live in red states JUST give me a break how is this allowed on WSO

Using the word 'shill' gets you far in some circles but not in mine. You radical lefties and righties need to get in a giant ball pit and kick and scream until you fall asleep, because you're all a bunch of unreasonable babies.

Are you still referencing the shit hole comment? It was said in a private meeting.

Trump is blunt and unpolished. The criticisms against him sound like old money scoffing at new money. Or someone looking down at a blue collar millionaire.

Attacking someone’s education is like left 101. Bush was a monkey and make fun of. Yet the second obama didn’t have a TelePrompter he was humming and hawing.

Literally who gives a shit if trump isn’t speaking in prose. You’re worried what others think? Like who? Merkel who is watching the rise of right wing extremism because she’s allowed millions of uber fundamental young males into her country?

Or maybe our esteemed drama professor up north who is a male bimbo. Or we talking about the leaders in the UK who set the stage for Brexit. Or the French who were so polite and verbose, with such shitty policies that led to the National Front being a legit party.

I prefer action, results over imagery. I prefer a pragmatic deal maker over someone beholden to politics. Trump would 100% work with Dems if they’d work with him. How many Republicans you think would cross the aisle?

So much snobbery, it amazes me. Especially on a site for people who have issues breaking into one of the most base industries.

I’ve met literally hundreds of people odd this site and I’ve come across maybe 2 that id consider eloquent. But I guess the demographics have changed recently. Bunch of Shakespearians on here now.

Please.

To the liberals on here. No one is saying that you don't have the right to express your views or to disagree with my sentiment or the sentiments of those that generally agree with my conservative position. That said, the form of argumentation used here is beyond inappropriate.

Some examples of what I'm referring to:

BobTheBaker:
I can't with you man, you're a zealot and one can't reason with zealots, I should've never posted on this thread. Irrelevant bullshit like this needs to die off on this forum.
BobTheBaker:
I'm not going to feed the troll, pathetic purposeful misstatement of my words by a pathetic nonsensical troll who never adds anything of value to the conversation.
rockrile15074:
hows it feel to be a fucking bitch??? You're a fucking spineless pussy if you justify trump in any way IMHO.
thurnis haley:
the vast majority of reporting" LMAO. Holy fuck you people are delusional. It's seriously an alternate reality.
onemanwolfpack:
aljdljaldla:
This is the sort of shit that drives away users and turns this forum into a shithole (I get the irony). If you want to talk about stuff like this, actually talk to the dude sitting next to you at the office or go to reddit.
Ricky Sargulesh:
Just wanna give a shout out to the 5 or so hyperactive political commenters that have turned WSO into a total fucking nightmare 24/7.
Ricky Sargulesh:
I'm on your side man. I usually just laugh at the breitbart echo chamber writing 5,000 word posts and SBing each other not realizing 99% of the WSO community is quietly rolling their eyes at them, but lately it's gotten to the point where it's ruining the site.

I understand that many of you do not frequently encounter those that hold our conservative views, particularly because finance hubs tend to be in extremely liberal cities. I know that, in the work environments that I've been in, my views are extremely rare. That said, we can have a principled discussion without resorting to personal attacks and threats of physical violence.

Also, no one forced any of you to participate on this thread. You came here to engage on your own free will. If you're not interested in hearing opposing views then you're free hurl MS at those comments you disagree with and SBs at those that you find agreeable. Or, you can choose to disassociate yourself from this sort of conversation entirely.

The president put out a few concrete examples of the media publishing objectively false stories about him and his administration. Yes, some of those included on the list aren't objectively "fake news" stories (such as Krugman's terribly wrong prediction). Yes, some of the stories are laughable (which was also kind of the point).

I wanted to discuss the phenomenon because it really is unprecedented (the challenge is still open for anyone to show any other president receiving this many objectively false stories in a single year). But I have to admit that I did not expect this level of belligerence, and I've had debates on many different forums with very ideological people (Marxists, Post-Keynesians, libertarian socialists, etc.).

Lmao at quoting me with no fucking context whatsoever, did you see who I was responding to in that second quote? he is a basic troll. He misconstrued my words purposefully from an entirely unrelated thread in order to troll, and I responded as one should respond to such nonsense. As for your first quote, I went back and forth with VTech4ever aka Danceswithdaschunds aka 18 yr. old troll or whatever his new name is until I was resigned to acknowlegding the obvious. I caught him in an obvious and outrageous lie and he continues to move the goal post on said lie, when faced with facts he continues to deny such facts, then he hits me with the claim that I am a "race-baiting pathological liar" - real constructive. Look at my initial post for my thoughts on the matter. BTW, quoting people out of context is entirely ironic considering you are discussing the quality of posts on this thread. Smh. Let this garbage die. I think all that needs to be said has been said on it.

Array

serious question do you agree with thurnis haley in him saying that everyone who is not a democrat or lives in a red state should wither and die are you sharing in his happiness about it?

that was a truly scary stateument and you seem to support it as long as you can make quippy remarks to meanie head republicans about it lol

Aut ipsa ut qui alias voluptate quo. Est maxime ut unde rerum harum. Sed eius cupiditate magni earum voluptas ut maiores.

Maxime ipsa laboriosam laborum ut error aut minus voluptatem. Consectetur qui et dicta enim accusantium voluptate aspernatur. Et aut et ex cumque quisquam provident. Rerum optio et magni cumque hic.

Qui modi et corrupti possimus delectus dolorum. Odio iure sed et quia porro quaerat. Inventore recusandae quos corporis explicabo non optio. Et incidunt suscipit omnis hic aut. Temporibus et consequatur quaerat delectus vero numquam quae. Commodi dolorum enim ipsum qui. Eaque rerum qui sit illum ut asperiores commodi enim.

Omnis similique veniam ab laborum iste vel est. Dolor reiciendis similique vero voluptatem soluta exercitationem. Quo maxime labore quod sequi ut voluptatem aperiam.

Sunt similique ut recusandae. Id est debitis distinctio. Est ad optio aut et et.

Neque enim in sed. Quam perspiciatis rem eaque iste non facilis sit asperiores. Dolor nobis in beatae provident quis esse quis. Occaecati in et sunt atque earum sapiente a. Repellat dolores quaerat sit enim non voluptatibus. Facilis nisi id aspernatur doloribus cupiditate. Ut omnis aut velit cupiditate et labore.

Quod perspiciatis quia voluptatibus laboriosam voluptatem atque. Dolores qui ut magnam aperiam est quos. Rerum dolore ipsa vitae ratione.

Veritatis quam vel mollitia autem adipisci esse maiores nam. Enim autem laborum rem corrupti fugiat. Facere architecto aut aut dolor praesentium aliquam labore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”