Finance Careers that don't require being on call 24/7/365

Hello, everybody. I am just curious if there any paths in finance that don't require one to always be on call. I'm not saying I wouldn't do work from home, but it's work that is known not just thrown at me in the middle of the night. I know in med doctors can choose whether they want to be on call or not (if not on call than less pay) and in CS people do work from home but its scheduled work (around a certain time frame or certain amount of work). Being a guy, I do realize that I will probably be the major breadwinner in the future so keep that in mind when making suggestions. Note: I am fine with a career where being on call is optional because then I would just choose not to be on call. I get everyone has to pay their dues during internship times but long term its just not sustainable for me. I know people are going to throw MS on this post, but I don't care. I want to care for my health if that means a sacrifice of some salary. So what are you all's suggestions?

untrue for private banking. was an SA at the PB arm of a BB and bankers were literally on call 24/7, with a direct line to clients where they can get asked stupid shit in the middle of the night. if the client decides to place orders for markets that operate outside our our working hours, bankers have to respond by contacting someone in the office who is on the night shift.

that said, that was at a US bank. European PBs may be different.

Most Helpful
AMInPhase1:
good point, but if you are married, you gotta make her a priority, and I personally don't think investment banking makes that possible

I think you’re on the wrong site for this. Too many people would rather jerk off to the amount of all nighters they pulled than to actually be married to someone. The money and prestige outweigh a healthy relationship for many of the college sophomores here.

To answer your question- I think there are many jobs outside of IB/ PE/ HF that don’t require so much dedication. Within that realm, others can hopefully answer. RE is an often overlooked route

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Very emotional view however pretty useless beyond that motivational point...

My experience has told me sth different, sth I call fact-driven:

1. connections matter
  2. having a true mentor (with influence) matters
  3. having the right passport matters (in international companies)
  4. hard and good work is important but way less than people - particularly juniors - actually think

Hard and good work won’t bring you anywhere near the top at all. You should try to avoid particularly those kind of seniors in your career who emphasise how hard they are or have been working... My experience actually is, they have been working the least in many cases and that’s exactly why they are, where they are.

I dont think anyone would dispute having a powerful mentor as a huge help. With that being said, if youre just a lazy ass kisser you can climb the ranks but your fate will be forever linked on your sugar daddys favor. That exact same situation has scores of people sweating at my current company with leadership changes. Its amazing the amount of inefficiency that can come from cronyism.

Came here to say that. RE Asset Management is normally very cushy. Can make a very good living (outside WSO’s disdain for anything below $500k even though very few posters make that) Real Estate Private Equity and Development are great routes.

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

@Armhoo1"

FutureBankTeller:
Hello, everybody. I am just curious if there any paths in finance that don't require one to always be on call. I'm not saying I wouldn't do work from home, but it's work that is known not just thrown at me in the middle of the night. I know in med doctors can choose whether they want to be on call or not (if not on call than less pay) and in CS people do work from home but its scheduled work (around a certain time frame or certain amount of work). Being a guy, I do realize that I will probably be the major breadwinner in the future so keep that in mind when making suggestions. Note: I am fine with a career where being on call is optional because then I would just choose not to be on call. I get everyone has to pay their dues during internship times but long term its just not sustainable for me. I know people are going to throw MS on this post, but I don't care. I want to care for my health if that means a sacrifice of some salary. So what are you all's suggestions?

Excepturi corrupti possimus possimus ad. Magni earum cumque hic ut numquam expedita architecto voluptas.

Et ex sequi nostrum cupiditate nam mollitia aut. Alias facere quia facilis maxime nesciunt eos. Repellendus dolorem totam minus commodi dolores ut. Et officiis et magni saepe occaecati sit.

Aliquid aliquid atque architecto voluptates deleniti. Error accusamus sunt esse. Quae ut et hic ad consequuntur. Dolor nihil ut eligendi officiis dolorem velit. Expedita voluptatum ut quis eos amet.

Incidunt aut quidem reiciendis eum repudiandae omnis sed. Et recusandae sit expedita explicabo sed consectetur. Quisquam modi officiis et ex eos nulla a. Veniam repellat non consequatur et aperiam dolores aut. Aut tempora et doloribus incidunt deleniti. Eum corporis nisi voluptatibus suscipit. Enim alias distinctio saepe mollitia et quia maiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”