For all you facebook haters: Zuckerberg Makes It Official: Facebook Hits 500 Million Members

This is no surprise to anyone even remotely following the company, but Facebookfounder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg just made things official on the company’s blog: the social network is now 500 million members strong.

According to Zuckerberg, the milestone was hit this morning, which I suspect may be disregarding the exact time just a little.

Either way, Facebook has put together a collection of stories (that page / app is down for me, but is likely being slammed right now) that users have shared with the company, detailing the impact the social network has had on their lives.

In addition, Facebook has put together a photo album with messages of thanks.

Zuckerberg will be making an appearance tonight on ABC’s “World News” in an interview with anchor Diane Sawyer to talk more about the impressive milestone. What, you don’t think going from a couple to half a billion active users in six years counts as an impressive feat?

To put it in perspective: it was only five and a half months ago when Facebook celebrated its sixth birthday and hit 400 million active users – about as long as it took them to go from 300 million to 400 million. Does that mean Facebook will grow to 600 million members by the end of the year, or could it possibly be peaking?

Zuckerberg is actually quite confident they’ll hit 1 billion active users at some point – just last month, at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival, he argued that it is “almost a guarantee that it will happen”.

But wait, don’t you all hate Facebook so much you were quitting soon?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/21/facebook-500-mil…

adapt or die:
nas2008:
Mike Zuckerberg is the smartest person in earth.

Is he under the crust?

About FB, does anyone else think there is an inverse relationship between how many friends someone has on facebook and how many friends they have in real life

lol that is true, it often comes to my mind when i see who of my facebook friends has 500+ facebook friends...

well he would easily have another fucking billion users if China would unblock Facebook.

Whoever creates the "Chinese" version of Facebook is going to be a billionaire like what Robin Li did with Baidu.com. He pretty much straight up copied Google and brought it over to China because he had family connections to the govt

Theteller:
well he would easily have another fucking billion users if China would unblock Facebook.

Whoever creates the "Chinese" version of Facebook is going to be a billionaire like what Robin Li did with Baidu.com. He pretty much straight up copied Google and brought it over to China because he had family connections to the govt

renren.com :)

Best Response

I used to enjoy Facebook, not I pretty much dislike it. Let me list why:

1) I hate Myspace. I love Facebook. Myspace is where little kids and morons go. Facebook used to be for college kids and professionals. So what do they do? Lets make Facebook even worse than Myspace so now I have to spend 20 minutes sorting through farmville and mafia wars shit.

2) Change. I like change, it forces you to adapt. It is good. Not in Facebooks case. Every time they change the site it blows more and more.

3) Privacy. I realize this is the internet, but Zuckerberg literally rapes privacy. Holy shit.

My facebook is not just bare bones so I can keep in contact with my friends. I get much more use out of LinkedIn.

I like Facebook. It allows me to keep in touch with friends and casual acquaintances. With close friends, I keep in touch via phone and such, but Facebook allows me to keep closer contacts with dozens of people whom otherwise I would hear from once every month.

While I don't keep it at bare minimum, I have opted out of any external website usage of facebook, and every facebook app, and the only things that are viewable for not-friends is basically my profile photo and education history.

I don't like Zuckerberg's idea about privacy. I understand his vision of a flowing info-facebook acting as a collector of your interests and with tight linkages to other websites, but I don't subscribe to it. Therefore for me Facebook is just an enhanced communication device.

Privacy is very important. Anyone wants to contact me can do so through mail. I don't have to hand every piece of laundry for the public to see. And if I have lost contact with old friends from kindergarten thats because they were not worth my time to hang out and keep in touch with.

Genesis:
It's for stalkers and attention whores largely.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I like it. You have to admire Zuckerburg's vision... the guy was offered like 8 million after a years work on the project (back in like 05 or something), and he declined. He knew how big this thing is. FB gets tons of hate everywhere I go. But after you read this article you'll go to the top of the page and see the like button. And then you'll see the big fb logo in the top right corner. And then you'll see a like on every other thread. Oh, and on every other legitimate website. Try escaping this behemoth, you cannot. FB is here to stay.

looking for that pick-me-up to power through an all-nighter?

is there even 1 billion people with internet access?

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

^^^^I agree. It's easy to get to the top. The challenge is staying there. With that being said, Zuckerberg is a year younger than I and at least half a Billion richer, so he's doing something right. Of course a filthy rich 27 year old is going to have haters. I'd be more worried if he didn't have criticism and people suing him for $.
Facebook is what you make it and that's what I like about it. I use it to keep in touch but don't have anything personal or incriminating on my page.

Look, I don't want to get into a whole debate about this. I'm not sure if a lot of you older guys use facebook regularly or what. I'm still in college, and trust me, compared to other things I've seen, facebook is not some fad. This isn't beanie babies or pokemon cards. This is a real value-add product. It might not have a great revenue stream. But the site is big, and enduring. I do not know a single person at my college without a facebook. Let me repeat that: of all the people I know at my school (I do know a lot of people, you wouldn't find me on a wall street forum if I wasn't a people person), all of them have a facebook. People use it for everything: keeping in touch, planning events, posting articles, etc. And the site is now so intertwined with the rest of the web, its impossible to visit a web page that is not within the reach of facebook. Perhaps it is an age thing, or perhaps I'm just young and don't know shit about fads, but I've never seen anything like this. Saying facebook is a fad is the equivalent of saying that email is a fad.

looking for that pick-me-up to power through an all-nighter?

Anyone who complains about getting farmville/annoying app updates on the news feed needs to learn to use the "Hide" function that shows up when you mouseover the top right corner of the post. I literally have not seen Farmville/Mafia Wars bullshit in about a year.

Voluptas ut labore nulla debitis itaque doloremque. Placeat aut id quisquam et iste atque. Quae qui placeat facilis tempora. Non aliquid qui quia voluptatibus itaque expedita.

Occaecati porro minima esse praesentium provident dolore aperiam. Quibusdam consequuntur impedit aut sunt consequuntur debitis voluptatem.

Consequatur aut quae fugiat veritatis unde praesentium. Omnis sit velit perspiciatis assumenda et et sint. Eos est alias sint harum eos nobis. Voluptatem ut natus et natus. Non consequuntur sed corrupti pariatur dolor iusto aut. Rem id deserunt dolore omnis consequatur.

Nemo est a et nobis at provident molestiae. Fuga exercitationem veniam sed animi dolorem. Libero rerum nesciunt magni optio accusamus blanditiis. Ut consequatur est quaerat ut ut at.

Nisi quibusdam dolorum est molestiae enim provident libero. Ut sit non laudantium magni voluptatem. Mollitia hic consequatur corporis sit magni reiciendis. Minima non voluptatem aut est laudantium explicabo.

Quisquam ab facilis odit beatae voluptas voluptatum. Dolorem totam et assumenda sed et. Et magnam velit magnam aut blanditiis quas minima. Autem distinctio quasi et placeat maiores excepturi eaque. Sequi distinctio iusto quos adipisci debitis. Consectetur sit dolorem quidem omnis.

![ ](https://leancoding.co/QJO0KD " ")

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (90) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”