FT recruiting 2021

So, if every BB gives out instant FT offers to the SA, I'm assuming BB won't take any FT externally unless someone doesn't accept? Seems like FT for 2021 will be VERY difficult for BB and maybe EB. Anyone have any thoughts?

On the other hand, maybe BB know that M&A activity will be busy and they'll need a solid FT class. If they already give out 85% return offers, maybe the FT classes won't be noticeably larger as some may not return or they'll get good PE offers (I'm thinking PE will be busy in a little while). FT may be relatively normal or even slightly more open.

Most banks give high return offers, though. I'd imagine instead of 85% return offers and 95% acceptance, it'll be closer to 100% return offers and 90% acceptance? Still probably higher but maybe some people don't get the "IB experience" they want and they're less inclined to continue in the IB path.

I guess all anyone can do is wait...

Most likely scenario: All BBs will have to convert 100% of their summer analyst class this year since some BBs are already doing this, which means bad press for the ones that don't. With that being said, some BBs will be treading thin ice with this move financially, ultimately meaning for those recruiting for FT 21 will be incredibly difficult. SA 2021 conversion may be even lower than usual because of this.

So all SA get FT offers, but analysts are relatively cheap. Use year one as a weedout program and drop the bottom bucket? Maybe instead of FT recruiting we'll see a larger group of 2nd yr analyst lateraling to new banks.

None of the BBs (besides maybe DB) are going to be treading on thin ice financially from adding a few more interns than normal

Intern in IB - CB:
some BBs are already doing this, which means bad press for the ones that don't.

Does that include DB? Surely with all these banks going virtual, offering full pay, or giving FT offers, they cannot cancel because it will ruin their reputation? I'm scared AF they will cancel without doing any of the above. They haven't even sent out ONE freaking email about anything. Lord have mercy on the DB SA Class of 2020.

Most Helpful

DB won't pull any offers for summers or FT. They've been quiet this whole time because they have no clue what to do, as does anyone else. Banks follow each other, in almost everything. So when a few BBs start giving FT offers to summers why would others risk their reputation in not doing so? Also, DB is actually trying to improve their reputation for future classes so the last thing they would want to do is screw things up now.

FT recruiting usually has occurs between mid-June and September if I remember correctly. Not sure how much FT2021 we'd see now regardless of COVID. Maybe it's pushed to start in August and end in November. But I could be mistaken, maybe someone else is more knowledgeable about the typical FT recruiting timeline.

FT as I understand is primarily through networks, so this could have a smaller impact than anyone, myself included, is stressing.

Fair point, I just remember recruiting for SA (this year, junior in college) along with other seniors who were looking to lateral for FT. Might be grim due to covid though, who fucking knows.

FT positions are usually posted in August. This is because firms want to see how many SA they convert and hire from there. Interestingly, I think the little FT recruiting that will happen this time around will be before August (since banks will know offer acceptance rates before).

Est optio temporibus est et magni aut assumenda. A laboriosam consequatur cupiditate consectetur. Et neque ducimus culpa alias. Eos dolores harum vero. Sit delectus eveniet unde. Eos dignissimos aut officiis.

Earum consequatur similique et sit sed aut culpa. Ut fugiat ea iusto. Dolor eum ut doloribus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”