Greenhill in 2019

Hi All,

I'm curious to know what thoughts are on GHL over the next few years?

The firm churned out a decent result for last financial year, with fee paying clients and deals done up from 2016 and 17. I know GHL has been doing some solid recruiting the last few years, and while it would be easy to view view the outlook as positive on face value, it would be good to get some industry opinions on the firm's outlook internationally.

Is this positive trend likely to continue, or will GHL revert back to getting squeezed by other shops like MOE and EVR? Additionally, what is GHL's reputation like these day's? Does it still attract the recognition it used to or has its value declined?

Cheers in advance.

So this is interesting... Besides Romitha Mally who went to UBS, who left recently? I would say that the amount of MD's moving to Greenhill has been far bigger than the ones who have left. Building out their restructuring practice and expanding, not closing local offices.

Besides that, I like the comment of analysts leaving.... so what you are saying is that the analysts are exiting? and is that not what most analysts want? do the 2 years in banking and then go to PE? besides that Greenhill to my knowledge does not have A2A so one person staying is more strange than everyone else exiting.

GHL lands some large deals (ie their legacy relationship with GSK in the UK) but the large deals deal flow isn't there anymore. They list all of their deals on their website I encourage you to make your own opinion.

Jefferies has a better deal flow, and also lands big deals, but Jefferies unlike BBs also competes for smaller deals, which gives you an exposure to deals across the spectrum from $1+bn to $200m deals

Their consumer/ healthcare team is quite good - they have announced a bunch of sizable large transactions over the last couple years. They also do a lot of work for tesco, including tesco/booker

I think people forget how small Greenhill is in London - they only take like 4 analysts per year, so comparing them to Jefferies which has probably at least double if not triple the headcount is a bit unfair. I have good mate who is a ghl now and he has had a fantastic experience

It still competes with the EBs but just loses out. From a European perspective, they are known to pitch for everything but not getting much business. You could call them a Tier 3 EB after firms such as Evercore (1) and PWP (2) but generally, there are a number of firms which are classified as EBs (EVR, LAZ, MOE, PJT, CVP, PWP, RS (Ldn)) and GHL is not among them.

Greenhill Restructuring has some of the worst MD’s you’ll work for on the street in terms of culture-setters. It’s an environment that’s a poster child of what people hate about banking. Some of the MD’s who were brought over were notorious at their past firms as some of the worst MD’s to work for.

Furthermore, the overall business isn’t exactly doing too hot. After the founder and some of the key people left the business or the firm, they’ve really struggled to maintain deal flow. There was literally one quarter where they did not close a single deal aka 0 revenue.

Look at their stock price. The current price has been supported by a massive buyback plan (one of the best structured plans I’ve ever seen though but I guess that’s expected from a company of bankers) and it’s still a dogshit chart.

a) founder still at ghl and b) not factually the case that 0 closed deals in a quarter = 0 revenue, IB fee structures/timing can be bespoke/not just success fee based and some places will get paid to give advice that does not lead to closed deals (not to say more deals is not better, just not the case that revenue is only generated in the event of closed deals)

All fair points I guess. The founder stepped down as CEO in 2007 and has been chairman but is nowhere near the deal sourcing or day-to-day of the business and is largely a figurehead. You are also correct that 0 closed deals doesn't equal 0 revenue, big error there on my part.

But I still stand by the spirit of my post. The firm is in structural decline which largely coincides with the founder stepping away from day-to-day operations, it does not have constant deal closure, and the culture sucks.

If you have no other options then yeah you should go there but if you are choosing between any bulge bracket and Greenhill, take the bulge bracket. If you are choosing between any elite boutique and Greenhill, take any elite boutique.

And I agree with the other poster above that at this point I think Jefferies is better choice than Greenhill

Non dolorum dolorem quod sit. Sint et ratione dolore omnis enim maxime. Porro et a voluptatem magnam.

Sequi ducimus recusandae non quia dolorum sed consectetur. Ea iusto nihil omnis.

Quia nihil ab qui incidunt ad ipsa velit rerum. Occaecati autem molestiae voluptatem illum nostrum et. Autem aut eum sunt exercitationem explicabo. Assumenda nam eum animi animi. Perferendis corporis accusamus illo libero qui voluptatem aspernatur consequatur.

Most Helpful

Odit quod fugiat consectetur nisi aliquam quibusdam quasi. Architecto magnam veritatis autem et maiores rem cum. Repellendus ad ut voluptas placeat aut. Accusantium ipsam in debitis voluptates sit numquam. Ipsa debitis vitae deserunt aut quia. Atque non pariatur eum.

Fugit quo recusandae eaque eos repellat tenetur consectetur. Esse debitis veniam aperiam molestiae dignissimos quasi harum ullam. In tempore sint ut architecto non hic et. Earum enim atque qui occaecati. Nemo numquam iusto officia est consequatur ab ut aut. Eum quia veritatis blanditiis repellat illo suscipit.

Qui id voluptas perferendis vitae qui. Corporis et commodi in pariatur sint deserunt. Est asperiores eum consequuntur porro. Impedit sequi nihil dolore corrupti et vero commodi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”