How believable is citing the 08/09 recession as a starting point of interest for investment banking?

True story, interest in IB somewhat started during the 08/09 financial crisis as I was indirectly impacted. But given how large the crisis was and how many people must've been indirectly impacted (more negative than positive impact) along with the fact that it was a decade ago, how believable is it when an undergrad cites the recession as a starting point of interest to the question "Why IB?"

Most Helpful

I wouldn't buy it. And, even if it's true, it's a dumb thing to say in an elevator pitch. Like, think about who you're talking to: old guys that don't remember it fondly or young guys who don't remember it but also remember their parents stressing.

Seems like an easy way to create a negative association for your interviewer. Bad risk reward split.

I dunno OP, do girls believe you really wanna show them your stamp collection when you ask them back to your place?

The 2007/8 crisis is what got me into Wall Street. Before that time all I knew about finance is that it was only for super rich people and it might as well have been the far side of the moon as far as I was concerned. Hearing about all the job losses made me aware that there were jobs to lose, which is not something rich people worried about: I realized it was possible to get a job there, so at a time when everyone was running as fast as they can from Wall Street I was looking for a way in....and it was totally worth it.

Careful how you bring up 2008 though, that was not a good time for people in the business in those days:

Get busy living

If you are looking to go into M&A, I would simply ask you - why does the GFC have to do with M&A?

Almost nothing... I would personally take this as you demonstrating a lack of understanding about Finance. Maybe if you are going for a S&T role it’s different

GFC had nothing to do with M&A??? You mean except for the fact that LevFin dried up overnight, investors got really scared, PE firms stopped aquiring targets and couldnt exit for the multiples they anticipated? When investors lose money, when the debt market crashes and when people lose trust in the banks everyone is impacted, especially M&A as it is the fundamental pillar of the economy.

Delectus officia maiores aut perferendis. Qui aut eaque ea distinctio eligendi. Ut sunt illum ut optio quidem qui. Atque aut consequuntur et porro est.

Sed nobis aut sit et aut doloremque a. Maxime doloremque voluptatem quis doloremque. Omnis accusantium magni facilis labore. Qui cum fuga sed eum et. Aliquid magni mollitia rerum voluptatibus. Dolorum ut reprehenderit quis ab. Laudantium voluptatem officiis totam in sit ducimus est.

Dicta animi laudantium culpa et. Qui aliquid ullam nisi et incidunt rem ea laboriosam. Recusandae rem quibusdam aperiam in. Iusto sit quidem vel dolore. Quae eius corrupti ab provident in unde voluptatum.

Voluptatibus soluta sit sed odit. Excepturi pariatur autem dolor aliquam expedita cum et maxime. Est dolores et itaque sit consectetur sint molestiae vel. Maiores aspernatur numquam quasi eius dolorem maiores. Architecto dolorem velit quisquam totam repellat quia dolor. Repudiandae officiis eum dolor suscipit rerum quia et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”