I am late 20s/early 30s and I have been starting to ponder this question.
I read somewhere that men with spouses make more than men without...I also know that a divorce can tear your wealth into shreds. I know a guy who had 1-1.5MM in the bank in a Low COL area, got divorced, had to pay alimony, child support, give up the house and has like $100-200k left.
Personally, while I would like a wife and maybe some kids someday, the risk of divorce and the hurt that comes with it outweighs the positives of marriage to me right now.
So I guess this is a multifaceted question:
- Is being married important to career advancement?
- How has a significant other helped/hurt your career prospects?
Hedge Fund Interview Course
- 814 questions across 165 hedge funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
- 11 Detailed Sample Pitches and 10+ hours of video.
- Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring hedge fund professionals just like you.