How to sleep anywhere anytime 101

I'm back from Vegas in one piece, chumps. Thanks a lot for those sordid invitations in my inbox courtesy of your blackout selves. I think I met a couple of you, and I know for sure from the unspeakable smell of my clothes that I met some of your working female "friends."

Extra special thanks to the idiot who told me to bet against the US Women's National Soccer Team, who said it was a sure thing because he has an "inside source" (note to self: did he mean banging that insufferable goalie (?)). I was just coked out enough to say "YOLO" and do it, now I've got lunch money and a replacement shirt fund for the next year and a half. So that's fucking sick.

Except today it's back to work, and as you can easily imagine, I haven't spent more than 30 minutes in a bed in over a week. Which brings me to my topic du jour.

Though I very much appreciated @Alistair-Clark" 's Stimulants 101 post, if you actually need tips on how to stay awake you are never going to hack it in this jungle. Caffeine, Adderall, ephedrine. Snort every powder, shake every weight, climb every mountain. Beginner's stuff. I thought I'd add to the discussion a little primer on the opposite goal: how to squeeze every drop of sleep out of a 24-hour period that you possibly can.

DISCLAIMER FOR WHINERS: This is what works for me. What works for you might be to quit the business.

1) Polyphasic sleeping - Instead of lunch, I take a 1 hour nap. Instead of breakfast, I take pre-workout, then a 20 minute nap before it kicks in. Instead of after-work drinks, I walk into a bar, rip a few shots in rapid succession, and go straight home for a nap.

If you get used to sleeping in several small chunks instead of one slightly less small block at night, you can stretch those out as fits your schedule and spend some of the time your compatriots are in bed doing squat thrusts, listening to Slayer, screaming about your dominance to an empty gym.

2) Sunglasses - This only works in the morning, on reasonably sunny days. If I come into work on a sunny morning wearing sunglasses, I can get away with a ten minute nap at my desk before I start work. Risky business, but I've got brass balls and self-absorbed coworkers.

3) Bathroom breaks - If you can train yourself to sleep sitting up whilst ignoring the smell of shit, you can get up to 20 extra minutes of sleep in 6-7 minute phases in the bathroom. NOTE: you won't be able to use this time to actually shit, so adjust your diet accordingly.

4) ASMR.

Get with the motherfucking program and pass out to this shit every night.

What else you got, monkeys? Any underhanded means of stealing sleep time from your work time? Any weird body hacks? Any of you asleep right now, still somehow able to post online?

Many offices have a quiet room or prayer room. Small room with dim lighting, lockable door and often with a comfy chair.

Work out where it is, then go pray to the god of sleep.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, post threads about how to do it on WSO.

Best Response

Make people think you're a Muslim and have to pray 5 times a day. You'll get to sleep in the office during the day, but of course, you'll also be arrested as a suspect when some terror attack strikes nearby, at which point you just Shalom your way out.

GoldenCinderblock: "I keep spending all my money on exotic fish so my armor sucks. Is it possible to romance multiple females? I got with the blue chick so far but I am also interested in the electronic chick and the face mask chick."

Jamie_Demon:

Make people think you're a Muslim and have to pray 5 times a day. You'll get to sleep in the office during the day, but of course, you'll also be arrested as a suspect when some terror attack strikes nearby, at which point you just Shalom your way out.

LOL ... i just peed a little!!!!

"I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. " -GG

Item1A:

I was using the mother room for a while - always a lock until you wake up to your VP milking herself

I hope you offered to help ...

"I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. " -GG

As an ex-Navy Seal assassin trained at in-depth Gorilla Welfare, I'm able to sleep w/ my eyes open and without the aid of medication. I learned most of my skills through Monk (that's his name), you can find him on his wheelchair, collecting subscription fees at the bottom of the escalator to the 4,5,6 trains in Grand Central.

What concert costs 45 cents? 50 Cent feat. Nickelback.

A cocaine and other drugs addict that bets on everything.

Everything that gives a bad rep to Wall Street in one post.

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

Well, Lack of sleep may result in many side effects like mood swings, irregular heartbeats, increased stress and much more. There are many tricks which help you to sleep easier one of them strange trick is wearing Wholesale Sunglasses. It will be key to better sleep Because it might help our brain to relax after too much exposure to light.

Actually, this is a good question. If you work in markets, but you're normally a night owl... any tips so that you can reliably fall asleep by 10pm?

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

"don't owe money"

I loled hard at this.

Also, you're asking the wrong people, because bankers could fall asleep standing up if there weren't any spreadsheets that needed formatting.

Just another day at the water cooler:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/wnyaemfN_XI

dude, rub one out. rub two out if you have to. thats the best trick i use when i need to nap and cant fall asleep. leme knw if that doesnt work... lolll

I don't throw darts at a board. I bet on sure things. Read Sun-tzu, The Art of War. Every battle is won before it is ever fought- GG

Start working out at some point in the day. Also, this one is kind of weird, but try not wearing anything to bed. Finally: don't change your bed sheets too often. At most... once every three weeks

I'm not concerned with the very poor -Mitt Romney

Mitt Romney:

Start working out at some point in the day.
Also, this one is kind of weird, but try not wearing anything to bed.
Finally: don't change your bed sheets too often. At most... once every three weeks

I would say you're third suggestion is weirder than the second.

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/01/27/relax-like-a-pro-5-step…

Some of those are good tricks.

I'm a horrible night owl. I will literally sit up all night reading stupid stuff until the sun comes up. If I feel like I'm learning something new, I just get really focused and the Internet is endless, so that doesn't make for a great combination when I have work in the morning.

A couple things to try...(1) breathing. I know it sounds weird, but consciously focus on slowing down your breathing. Some people use a sleep clock/light that shines on the ceiling and allows you to pace yourself and they will swear by it. Your breathing naturally slows down when you sleep, so I suspect that your just jump starting the sleep process for your body. (2) Put yourself on a decent bedtime schedule. Sometimes you just have to trick your body into doing what you want. It used to be that, if I wasn't tired, I would just sit on my laptop and read. Unfortunately, as I pointed out above, that rarely makes me sleepy. What I've learned to do is cut off all my activity by a certain time. Lately it's been between midnight and 1am. I lay down in bed with my phone and play a silly, simple game that doesn't take much effort...something like solitaire or Sudoku or solitaire battleship, etc. This works really well for me. I'll lay down, not tired at all, and withing 20 minutes my eyes will be so heavy I usually end up dropping the phone on my face...which sucks, but it's better than being up all night. (3) The melatonin route works really well for me as well and supposedly isn't anywhere near as bad for you as more sleep medicine.

Other than that, working out, as others have suggested, can help keep your body regulated. You should also look up Delta's YouTube channel and watch the video they have on jet lag. I don't know all the details, but the premise has to do with jet lag being a result of a misalignment of various aspects of our body. You might have to do a little experimenting on your own, but figuring out what time you should be awake and exposed to light, etc. might help keep everything in rhythm which might facilitate falling asleep at night. I'm not a scientist or doctor, but the points they make seem credible and might, at least partly, explain how I can feel great if I wake up at 7am or 8am but groggy if I get up at 9am or 10am.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Also, I forgot to mention that I fall asleep to a 'relaxation' track on my computer that's like an hour and a half long. Some people have great success with other types of noise...white, brown, pink, etc. There are websites you can use that just play white noise and they offer adjustments, etc. Also one that just plays rain and thunder. I found this great track on Amazon that was vetted by some other folks who said it doesn't contain any loud noises. Apparently they mix up these sounds for these meditation tracks but every once and a while you get some loud crash of waves or thunder, etc. which might end up waking you up. I haven't experienced that with this track. I will say the other benefit of the track over the websites I've seen is that it plays for the set amount of time and then stops. The websites, I imagine, will play all night, which I could see eventually waking me up...sorta like leaving your TV on...great to fall asleep to but then you have to get up and turn it off when it wakes you up in an hour. For $0.99 it's a steal...

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Music-For-Sleep/dp/B003ZVCYG4/ref=sr_1_7?…

I suffer from ADD and have a hard time watching TV because it's not stimulating enough...I guess. Literally, I have to be on my phone or laptop just to watch a TV show...it's insane. Anyways, I think for me, listening to the track is like a subconscious way of keeping my mind busy enough while I doze off, instead of laying in bed analyzing why I can't fall asleep and calculating the number of minutes I could sleep if I fell asleep instantly, etc.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

i usually prop my ipad up on a pillow next to me, watch an episode of the office, always sunny, or family guy. Then put on a second one and close my eyes. It works with any show that you've seen many times. Most times you can kinda visualize whats going on anyway, and theres no need to actually watch it. and then the ipad shuts off on its own after the episode is over due to inactivity

I eat success for breakfast...with skim milk

Another thing that works for me if I'm physically tired but can't sleep because I have things on my mind is to watch The Science Chanel, History Chanel, etc.

If you have DirecTV, it's 284, 276, and 277.

I'll watch Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman and let his sweet, sweet voice caress me to sleep.

Also, stuff like Modern Marvels and How It's Made works wonders. Nothing like a 20-minute walk-through of a snowboard assembly line to put you to sleep.

Little Engine Would:

Another thing that works for me if I'm physically tired but can't sleep because I have things on my mind is to watch The Science Chanel, History Chanel, etc.

If you have DirecTV, it's 284, 276, and 277.

I'll watch Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman and let his sweet, sweet voice caress me to sleep.

Also, stuff like Modern Marvels and How It's Made works wonders.
Nothing like a 20-minute walk-through of a snowboard assembly line to put you to sleep.

They have shows about the history and science of Chanel?

All kidding aside, have you tried a glass of wine? I find that being that tired and having just a bit of alcohol makes me incredibly sleepy.

I got home yesterday at 5 am and the last time i saw the time was around 6 am. The problem with pills is I don't think I can wake up with 2-3 h of sleep. Reading has worked for me in the past and I use the 3 alarms trick...

The least I slept once, given that I couldn't do an allnighter was 45 minutes, shower and got back to work just in time

I miss man week already....

Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards. - Tacitus Dr. Nick Riviera: Hey, don't worry. You don't have to make up stories here. Save that for court!

If you have ımsomnia you should See a doctor firstly . It can cause serious problem ıf you delay it . You shouldn't sleep during day . You can listen soft and relaxing music before sleeping . Try sleep without thinking or think good thinks . Your sleeping place is important . If you can't sleep in your bedroom you can make some changes .

montyjackson:

If you have imsomnia you should See a doctor firstly . It can cause serious problem if you delay it . You shouldn't sleep during day . You can listen soft and relaxing music before sleeping . Try sleep without thinking or think good thinks . Your sleeping place is important . If you can't sleep in your bedroom you can make some changes .

I'm very irritated by the awkward spacing before the period random capitalization of letters. Are you a robot?

bankstar:
  1. Exercise really hard
  2. If that doesn't work, melatonin

1 + a couple of brews and some protein..

your body will overrule your brain even if you have been stuck doing menial shit all day and your brain is not tired...

Weed and alcohol. And I'm not playing. When its time to go to bed, it's normally after 2 glasses of red wine and a bowl.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

Exercise, a healthy diet and a routine are all very important for getting optimal sleep. What helped me dealing with those sleepless nights is that rest is not binary - you have very degrees of resting. If you're lying in bed with your eyes closed, even though you are not sleeping, you are getting some rest. The fact that I am still getting some rest in just by lying there with my eyes closed and focused on my breathing is very soothing. Next time you are getting stressed up when you can't sleep, try to keep in mind that resting is not a binary function.

Melatonine knocks me the fuck out. Like xamax knock out. I read it can be addictive so you're not supposed to take it all the time. I'd reiterate what has been said above. Get the TV out of the bedroom. Have some wine. Exercise. Stop the naps. Usually takes a couple tired days to break the cycle, but once you do, you'll pass right out once you hit the pillow.

Also, maybe learn to meditate or do yoga. Honestly, you shouldn't have insomnia as a young person. Wait until you are a middle aged dude with a family and mortgage to start stressing and staying up all night. Learn to not sweat the small stuff now or you'll be a ball of nerves once you get older and have really shit on your plate.

Dude, insomnia's a fucking curse... Always joked that I'd be an excellent banker because of it though. Haha.

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people Jeremy

No don't put that on your resume!

Geez, people are so IB-centric that they're willing to tailor their sleeping disorders towards interview success? What next, touting bi-polar or post-war traumatic stress disorder?

This post would've been pretty funny if you hadnt said you were semi-serious.

Come on man, do you really think putting things about your health on your resume are going to help you? You've made some pretty solid posts before which is why Im not tearing you a new one right now, you know better! :-p

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee

Modi et nesciunt blanditiis. Minus sunt nihil eos dolorum quis. Nihil repellat nam necessitatibus iure nihil ipsa alias. Animi aut consequuntur consequatur voluptatem unde consequatur.

Error temporibus minus dolorem dolorum quia consequatur reiciendis libero. Sequi quia non explicabo aperiam sit voluptas quia. Qui amet provident saepe harum. Veniam voluptas ut nihil ut inventore rem. Consequatur ex optio est est odit dolorem ab.

Cupiditate quis enim sed ut perferendis consequatur rem. Est distinctio alias aliquid mollitia. Non aut sit nihil voluptate nam sit. Optio possimus omnis sapiente qui doloribus vel eum. Vel dignissimos doloremque quia quia quo delectus. Dignissimos neque consequuntur repellendus asperiores id qui. Perferendis reprehenderit voluptas deleniti quibusdam vel accusantium.

Get busy living

Fuga sed cumque quo nam explicabo vero totam at. Atque earum quasi adipisci quia expedita unde. Vero nulla modi id omnis.

Assumenda similique rerum rerum aliquid enim. Nihil a commodi debitis aspernatur veniam sed. Ut fugit et quo nihil minima eius et atque. Laboriosam magni voluptatem veniam. Reprehenderit quidem tenetur tempore et enim iste. Iusto debitis ullam adipisci ex.

Get busy living

Ea aliquam consequatur qui sunt culpa dolor. Dolorum mollitia consectetur libero nulla. Earum quasi sint recusandae similique sunt quibusdam. Dolorum aut iure id et fuga qui illum. Sit consequatur quia ut et nihil rerum rerum.

Placeat atque quos autem. Eligendi neque neque perspiciatis qui omnis omnis qui earum. Sunt qui quos dolor ab. Voluptatem aut exercitationem ea voluptas. Est aut libero quaerat sit unde itaque aliquid saepe. Distinctio veniam atque praesentium ea fugiat ex aut et. Nisi aut reiciendis maxime dolores esse quia facere.

Asperiores sit minus est enim quis omnis voluptas. Et est tempora quia perspiciatis consequatur veniam. Deleniti dicta cupiditate nemo nesciunt ipsa error perferendis. Aut ea voluptatibus et neque qui ut ex. Cupiditate aut molestias et doloremque.

Get busy living

At eos facere nemo omnis. Ab inventore similique ipsam ea dolor magni. Consequatur ea culpa quia itaque quasi voluptates perferendis. Ut in a id est facere ut.

Voluptate debitis ullam sed iusto excepturi. Ea ut sed veniam dolorem. Harum excepturi consequatur id.

Odio sunt consequatur eius. Assumenda voluptas voluptate quasi sapiente dolore eum doloremque ex. Saepe qui atque at quia. Quis rerum optio iure laudantium accusamus.

Sunt reiciendis iure quis est magnam deleniti possimus. Illo vel quisquam praesentium. Perspiciatis rerum ipsam sit. Aspernatur sapiente sint reprehenderit facilis tenetur. Veritatis aut laudantium numquam doloribus.

-MBP

Tenetur modi aut qui animi esse repudiandae soluta. Consequatur perspiciatis corrupti ipsam sint esse voluptate dicta reiciendis. Aut in et id facere est cum voluptas. Soluta veritatis vitae nihil iure et.

Et aperiam quaerat earum. Aut non voluptatem blanditiis consectetur doloribus. Quas omnis magni rerum natus reiciendis magnam. Et totam doloribus esse ullam. Non quibusdam ratione unde.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”