I believe all young adults should watch Top Gun once in their life

Top Gun is a movie that took a major and crucial role in my life. The movie is about true friendship, arrogance, love, patriotism, and hormones. It is a movie that is all well rounded. You can be straight, gay, white, communist, asian, F35 Raptors or sm shit, anyone can take notes from it. Especially the volleyball scene. The acting of Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer has definitely showed me the bro i need to be for my bros. And how I should be a leading and a good example for society.

I feel the need, the need. FOR SPEED

lol never thought I'd see this on here but hell yea. One of the greatest movies Hollywood ever made. They don't make them like that anymore. The music, dialogues, storyline, actors.. everything just perfect. I heard when the movie was released, US navy set up their recruiting booths right outside of theatres. Cant wait for the sequel. A must watch!!  

it rocks, but it's so far from #1 as a war movie that I disagree.  If you want to fight me on it, I'm half way down the highway to the danger zone.

Patton is great, and band of brothers basically hits everything, but if you want to hit the best, you just need to go tiefer numer eins, tiefer.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

patrickb8man

why go down a number lower?

The proper translation would be "Deeper (officer) number 1, deeper" It makes great sense for a submarine movie, but if you haven't seen it, you'll miss the most highbrow joke in Beerfest.  Having Jurgen Prochnow in charge with "that" as the last event is delicious cinematic irony.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

I am only 23 and currently just a private pilot, so I might not have the wisdom you are looking for haha. I have signed a contact to become a reservist fighter pilot and am currently awaiting orders so I will have a lot more to say about flying and experiences after I go to flight school/become combat qualified.

That being said the one thing that flying small aircraft taught me was mostly about mental strength. I am still yet to get good at this, but basically not letting anything get you in the moment. Im the kind of guy who gets pissed at himself if I make a mistake. Thus, If I fucked up in the early stages of a flight If I dwelled on it and wasted mental energy on it, I would have killed myself because my mental energy wasn't fully devoted to the flight ahead. I can cry about anything when I'm on the ground, but when I'm in the air its onto the next. There's nothing personal, its just you and your plane and your will to make it home safely. That being said I have a feeling when I start flight training on fighters I'll be crying like a little bitch but we'll get over that hurdle eventually too haha.

Another weird thing which is less of a skill, that flying taught me, is that nothing really matters in this world. I know I sound like a hippie but one of the things that I love about flying is as soon as I takeoff and watch the earth get further, it's like I left all of my problems back there. I don't have any work, relationship, family bullshit with me in the cockpit. Its just about flying the damn plane and in the sky the only other people there are people with the same love of aviation as you. Its still stressful but its also peaceful in a way as you only have one thing to focus on, flying. Many of the ancient stoics believed a good way of practicing meditation is by picturing a birds eye view of yourself and zooming out to the world to see how little our fears/problems are in comparison. I feel like flying has the same effect on me.

Either way, just my 2 cents as a very very inexperienced pilot. Will learn a lot more as I gain more experience flying and life in general!

CHECK6

Top Gun is my all time favorite movie as a pilot. Everytime I watch it, I feel happy that Im leaving IB to become a fighter pilot. One of my old mentors is now a founder of a top VC but previously flew F-14s and went to the actual Top Gun. Best advice he told me was, do the boring shit in your 30s, live it up in your 20s. 

too much truth to this, which I only realized when I entered my 30's. My buddies who went 18x (SF), AFSOC, Ranger, etc in their 20's? All at top MBA programs and about to crush it. Me? At a top MBA program and going to crush it, but sad I didn't get to fuck shit up 

Most Helpful

One of the best quotes for school, banking, and life comes at the very beginning of the film from Cougar—

“I’m holding on too tight, I’ve lost the edge, I’m sorry sir.”

If you worry about screwing up too much and are cranked up too tight worrying about mistakes or consequences, you will lose the edge and be unable to compete. The analyst that is always nervous about making errors comes across as not confident and unsettling to work with. It’s important to remember perspective and not get so wound up and pressure cooked that you lose the edge.

Thoughts/expectations on the new top gun? Curious to hear what every thinks of following up such a great first movie.

Error quia dolores eveniet illum qui. Laudantium perspiciatis autem accusantium. Id ab expedita et molestias sed in. Nesciunt voluptatem nobis sed natus distinctio non.

Eum architecto exercitationem ut eum consequatur explicabo et maxime. Aut dolores ut dolorem amet a tenetur reiciendis consequatur. Reiciendis ut et magni earum saepe. Delectus modi ea est voluptatem officia magni velit.

Et quis sit tenetur quidem ratione sit sint. Perferendis ratione cupiditate ut ut dolore. Voluptas expedita vel incidunt. Omnis alias rerum est et pariatur sint laborum voluptatem. Accusantium autem eligendi id ipsum dolor fugiat eveniet.

Sed maiores rem sit aut eligendi aut sit. Cupiditate eos fuga vel eos reiciendis beatae ea occaecati. Tenetur non sunt aut voluptate recusandae et occaecati quia. Nihil inventore molestias iste voluptatem. Quisquam rerum inventore architecto rerum.

Ut qui repellat impedit sit. Ipsa ab dolorem fuga eum quis repellendus. Tempora consequatur facilis eveniet eos.

Voluptate aliquid doloribus architecto repellat non sequi assumenda. Amet dolore ut sit quas et culpa animi tempora. Omnis laborum cumque et animi deleniti nostrum consequatur. Quasi dolorem tempora et autem quasi est.

Dolore voluptatum ipsa exercitationem. Corporis quod quidem nemo aspernatur nam. Porro laudantium culpa consequatur minus.

Nobis laborum non ipsam inventore unde doloremque eius. Tempore quis iure sed est laudantium architecto praesentium. Esse quo illo eligendi sequi et reprehenderit quidem consectetur. Perferendis sequi sequi quasi molestiae molestias ea mollitia. Qui sint harum et aut molestiae quod. Et autem deserunt aut ut. Accusamus vitae modi ut officiis vitae dolores veritatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”