INTERVIEW ADVICE - Should I reach out again?

Hello Fellow Monkeys, as we get ready for the weekend and our MDs start streaming out the door I am in need of some advice.

Background: I had an interview last week with a Real Estate PE firm in Mexico City. Interview was intense, Modeling, 2 Case Studies, Spanish Test and 8 separate interviews with every level of the firm from GPs to Analysts. I think it went really well and I really liked everyone that I met. Some of their concerns was that I don't work in Real Estate currently (SLF right now) but I think that I handled the questions fine.

The Company said that they would get back to me early this week. Now it is Friday and in place of asking the Company what was going on I emailed the recruiter to see if they had heard anything. They told me that the Company still would not have a definitive answer until the following week.

Question: Should I reach out to the Company again and if so what magic words should I say?

Thanks guys

Comments (8)

Jun 3, 2011 - 8:22pm

I would probably wait until Monday and just call and ask your contact at the firm directly. It shows your continued interest post interview, and they might just follow up right after you call. For example, if one or two people that haven't gotten back in touch yet are holding up the process,because of your interest, they might be more inclined to give you the thumbs up. That's just one way of thinking about it and I'm sure being more aggressive isn't the best approach at every firm necessarily. I've gotten job offers where they take several days to over a week to get back with an answer, and usually a phone call or two helped get a decision more quickly.

Jun 4, 2011 - 12:19am

Rana Clamitans:
In my experience, when I haven't heard back after the promised date/week, I've never received an offer.

Yea i would say so. Then i tried to call and usually your contact would start hiding i.e. missing your calls intentionally or never returns a voice mail.

So the situation could be they like you as a candidate but you're probably not a must-have for the firm. Or they want to see more candidates before they make an offer to anyone.

Anyway, good luck!

Invest first, investigate later.
Jun 4, 2011 - 4:05am

Definitely would agree with LCYM's last point. The firm probably views you as a solid candidate but not a must have. I think it would only be beneficial to reach out to them and indicate your continued interest. This may just be the final signal that one person needs to start pulling for you (or get a more solid foundation to pull for you). In any case, I don't see an overwhelming downside to reaching out.

I only have experience in recruiting for banks so I can't speak much to the PE side, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Jun 7, 2011 - 8:39am

This is also in Mexico City, right? I would imagine things move a bit more slowly there than you are probably accustomed to.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford
Jun 7, 2011 - 7:32pm
Out the window of my jet... U C LA like a bruin!
Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

January 2021 Private Equity

  • Principal (6) $693
  • Director/MD (15) $627
  • Vice President (58) $366
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (60) $272
  • 2nd Year Associate (116) $246
  • 1st Year Associate (250) $224
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (23) $162
  • 2nd Year Analyst (57) $138
  • 1st Year Analyst (163) $119
  • Intern/Summer Associate (18) $71
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (178) $59

Leaderboard See all

LonLonMilk's picture
Jamoldo's picture
Secyh62's picture
CompBanker's picture
redever's picture
frgna's picture
NuckFuts's picture
Edifice's picture
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Addinator's picture