LOL @ people saying it's just average.  Assuming he's been out of college for 2 years, he is saving ~40-50k a year while the average person in the US earns that much a year.  Even if you landed a good gig out of college it's hard to stash away that much unless your parents live in the city or you had a good side gig in college.

Do people in Texas and Florida really make the same base pay?  I’d understand if they have more disposable income after rent and taxes, but this seems too goo to be true

thanks all 

starting to think it was a retarded question tbh

starting to think it was a retarded question tbh

It was

Most Helpful

Short answer:  Unless you're looking to turn this into a d!** measuring contest you are almost certainly fine.

A simple rule of thumb is that you probably want to have ~6mo of net income around 'just in case.'  Given that AM is a rather uncertain industry you may want to push that up to 12.  $100k is ~$8000/mo for 12 months. Is that what you're spending?

Oh, also the goal here is real liquid like cash, TIPS or something similar.  You really shouldn't be too concerned with return on this money.  Think of it this way:  A lot of people got laid off in 2008.  Would you REALLY want to liquidate a S&P 500 position to pay living expenses at those prices?

Beyond that there are normally benefits for shielded accounts like IRAs, but the tradeoffs are normally that even if the securities are liquid there are penalties for withdrawing from the accounts young.  A number here is tough to give in general terms.  Do you want to live frugally and retire early?  Would you rather live large in exchange for working longer?  Does your family have a history of terminal health conditions at a young age or a high propensity for seeing 100? 

This is all super-generic.  You probably shouldn't trust an anonymous person on the internet if you want real financial advice, and there may be specifics to your situation that make this advice completely unsuitable.  Hire a professional if you want to go into your specifics.  While I find most FAs are pretty bad at investing, there is real tax and planning alpha to be had from playing the game here.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

No point thinking about this too much, it's all relative to where you come from in life.

Someone with bad health issues may have racked up serious bills and been unable to work properly early on, which affects them later. Conversely, maybe someone had their parents pay for school entirely and now they are certainly a leg up.

My close friend in high school was on a TV show as a kid and graduated with ~$75k from royalties - he used it to start a business successfully but not everyone has a $75k headstart on others and earning that seed capital takes time if you weren't a child actor. Great guy btw but just wanted to point out that there are rarely apples/apples comparisons...especially early in life.

Just focus on avoiding frivolous spending and keeping enough liquidity around to live stress-free. :)  There's something very destressing about knowing you can go for a long time without a dollar in income.

Lmao why is there suddenly a bunch of net worth post. I think you are doing well dude! Everyone has a different career and life path so it is you are comparing apples to oranges right now. Most people doesn't even have 50k+ in their account. Save up and invest/spend it well! Good luck! I am at 500k in my 20s but got lucky with my investment!

Haha man. Some people stay in bed and not do anything. I just choose to go and venture the world and let stuff happens to me. I believe in you Pizz. You will find a smoldering hot wife thanks to your vibrant personality and humour (I really do mean it!)

yea staying in a fucking apartment all day staring at a screen while living in libtard central (nyc) with no friends makes it hard to find a sense of "relativity" lol

Unequivocally YES. At 24 I'd assume you've been working for a couple years max so you're either making serious bank and easily saving or making okay money but living extremely frugally (whether that with or without family support). Whatever it is, having a 100K saved by 24 is fantastic, I'm not really sure what you're questioning here. It only goes up from here

Non soluta error totam et possimus sint consequatur voluptas. Fugiat at rem omnis nobis sit voluptate reiciendis ducimus. Placeat ab aliquid possimus dolorem ex illum veniam. Repudiandae explicabo aut ut illum tempora voluptatum incidunt rem. Alias ipsa inventore vitae amet ipsam cum est quibusdam. Deserunt ea numquam numquam consequatur nihil vero vel omnis.

Libero hic ut officiis rem nemo. Velit cupiditate qui illum asperiores eum ut. Nostrum excepturi excepturi optio maxime totam non magni vel. Quaerat consectetur doloribus veritatis magni.

Voluptatem veniam nam ut beatae occaecati. Nam aut fugit eum libero.

Natus molestiae sunt enim quod incidunt. Tempora asperiores laborum aut magnam.

Maiores non officiis nobis similique maxime hic. Quisquam labore voluptatibus qui distinctio corrupti. Sit cumque at molestias et. Ex aut expedita rem non et. In cum reprehenderit ut consequatur repellendus culpa.

Vero laboriosam rerum minima aut et expedita soluta. Sit aut quia numquam sunt ratione ut ab. Et cum molestias vel id ut ut. Voluptas dolore assumenda minima reiciendis ab qui est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”