Is it worth applying to SA 2020?

Title. I'm a rising sophomore at a semi-target (think Nova placement-wise), who hasn't even started networking or learning technicals yet. I also lack relevant internships, this summer I'm interning for my city in their "Finance" department, but it's more accounting and reconciliation. I've heard that only diversity (I am diverse, but the wrong skin color) gets soph SA. On the other hand, I've heard that it's good to get experience doing Hirevue and work on creating a good story for interviews, etc. So is it a waste of time, or should I just apply so I can go through the process as a trial run before junior summer?

Most Helpful

You should start networking now, even if it's for SA 2021. Even if you reach out now and don't connect again for 3 months, it's better to develop your network than be frantic once SA 2021 starts up.

Depending on your city, see if there are any boutique IBs that would let you intern during the school year. That will help you both for sophomore and junior years. Technicals can be learned in ~2 weeks in a crunch... but your job is probably 9-5 so why wait. Start practicing now, focus on the application (WHY does this happen/how does X change flow through financial statements rather than just memorizing answer)

I always think it is good practice to apply now and become familiar with the Hirevues. They are similar year to year and it takes a while to get comfortable with talking to yourself on video. I wouldn't count on BB jobs for your sophomore year, but the type of jobs you'd get as a sophomore are probably not hiring until the fall. The more you can do now of networking/technicals practice/mock and video interview practice, the better you will be for junior recruiting.

Also editing to add, you didn't mention your GPA but from a semi target that is the most important factor.

Array

You could go Tuesday after 12 and Thursday mornings, maybe MWF afternoons as well. Like I said it really depends on your area, obviously if you're 40 minutes from any financial firms it becomes less useful.

I had one semester of an off-cycle internship in college and I had all of my classes Tuesday/Thursday and worked MWF. It really eats into your time though, only recommend if you need don't the max hours to keep up your GPA.

Array

Dolorem sint recusandae consequatur natus. Laboriosam ut accusantium dolore repellendus dicta eos adipisci cum. Doloribus consequuntur illo adipisci occaecati accusantium pariatur tempore. Nisi aut quis id aliquam veniam aperiam praesentium optio.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”