Missed SA 2019 recruiting - delay graduation for SA 2020?

Long story short, I didn't even know what investment banking was until June of 2018 when I started my internship in REPE (friend connection). Had some other family stuff happen and a somewhat low GPA (3.4 at super non-target) that made me whiff on SA 2019. I'm set to graduate in May 2020, but given the nature of FT recruiting being next to impossible these days, I don't feel I have a chance to break into IB.

I'm currently studying abroad at the London School of Economics and did well my first semester, with a projected converted GPA of a 3.8 or a 4.0 depending on my last class. My current plan goes as follows:

1) Cold email every boutique IB firm in my school area (Boston/New York) and home (Washington, D.C.) for an internship, even if unpaid. Hopefully secure one - otherwise, I have a boutique investment consulting/asset management internship lined up that I can hop onto. Not optimal but better than nothing, and it'll pay enough to cover next semester's tuition.

2) Apply to BB/MM/EB SA 2020 positions over this spring and summer with a December 2020 graduation date. Explain that my study abroad program messed with my graduation schedule (the yearlong courses there only count for 1 credit at my school) along with my double major (economics and political science).

3) If I get a decent SA 2020 position, delay graduation to December 2020 and vacation for spring semester before starting my internship in June. If I can't secure one, graduate in May 2020 and look for FT opportunities outside of IB.

I've thought about it, and I feel this plan might be advantageous for me to pursue. One, it'd obviously allow me to enter a SA recruiting season actually knowing how it all works. Two, I'd be able to practice modeling and prep for IB for a few more months. Three, I'd be able to raise my GPA by a decent amount by the time I submit my resumes. I can't really think of any downsides to this, especially since if I don't secure a SA 2020 gig I can just revert to my original graduation date. An extra semester would cost about $30k, but given SA pay + future opportunities I feel it'd be worth it.

Is there anyone who's done something like this who can share any insight/is my plan stupid as fuck or could it work? Thank you all for your time.

Delay graduation - just write c/o 2021 on your resume. No need to explain anything if they don't ask. Cold email, network, and do everything now before applications open up. Apply the day that they open and ask your new contacts to help push your resume. Wish I would have done the same.

I would agree with everything you have laid out except for the graduate in May 2020 plan. I would still delay graduation and keep pressing for IB while simultaneously exploring other options. It will give you more time to turn over more rocks and the extra time in school will be meaningless to you in the context of your entire career.

You could also try to recruit for London IB and then transfer internally to US offices after a year or two if that is something you'd want to do. In London very little networking is done, it's all about your school, and the LSE carries an amazing brand (top target and probably sending the most kids to IB out of all other schools in Europe).

Hic cupiditate ut dignissimos ratione. Ad qui aut qui sed in hic assumenda. Ut qui minima voluptate dolor voluptatum tenetur.

Nihil corrupti ad illum ipsum culpa natus reprehenderit. Explicabo nam quo qui et ut. Dolores quibusdam odio molestiae eaque. Dolor ea et possimus sapiente consectetur ducimus. Et fugiat suscipit eaque et omnis. Non iusto voluptatem sint molestias et eos voluptatibus est. Et autem voluptatem soluta fugit est.

Quibusdam voluptatem adipisci facere ratione quos. Itaque nobis assumenda cupiditate placeat. Earum non velit aut qui tenetur. Qui tempore voluptatem rerum sed. Voluptas voluptatibus est officia culpa. Est est amet nostrum voluptas amet eos quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”