I posted a few months ago regarding how I was transferred from a top BB IBD to compliance, and I wanted everyone's advice/opinions on what my next steps could be. This was particularly hard on me because I turned down other reputable IBD offers to accept the BB.
The work is mind-numbingly boring, but the hours aren't that bad (8-5) and I am using the spare time to read up on valuation/corporate finance books. I've been networking both internally and externally, and I face a dilemma:
- to qualify for an internal transfer, I must have been at my current position for ~2 years. I am not sure if I can survive that long. What pisses me off to no end is that my bank is in FULL HIRING MODE for the 2010 class, but I wasn't even considered for the 2010 pool (I contacted HR and they told me it wasn't part of the 'protocol').
- for external transfers, my contacts tell me to 'stick it out' for a year because it looks really bad for recruiting/MBA if the job position wasn't even for a full year.
Given this, how should I go about potentially lateralling out of my job into a FO role?
Thanks for everyones' opinions.
Investment Banking Interview Course
- 7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 members.
- Technical, behavioral, networking, case videos, templates. All included.
- Most comprehensive IB interview course in the world.