Moving from BO to S&T
After graduation, I have worked for about 3 years infinance in Asia. I am bored and want to move into S&T.
Things I have "going" for me:
I have a finance degree and my GPA is very competitive. Most of my ex-schoolmates who are FT atIB/S&T have a lower GPA than me.
I have completed an M&A SA internship at a reputable boutique.
I am taking CFA level 1 in May (probably not a game changer since I already have a finance degree).
4. I did a fair bit of Equityover the last year (too many compliance restrictions with individual stocks/derivatives). Hence, I am considering adding a list of my recent investments in my resume to show that I have been actively following the markets, and I am happy to walkthrough the interviewers on my thought processes when I bought/sold.
The biggest hurdle that I am facing now (I believe) is a lack of S&T related internships, which causes me to be concerned that no S&T desk would be interested in hiring me. Although I mostly follow equity markets news and my personal investments are in equities/crypto, I am happy to work for any product and role. In my humble opinion, my best bet is probably macro sales.
My dream (miracle) scenario is to land a FT S&T role at a BB. Paths to this miracle scenario are:
- A role opens at my bank
- A friend refers me for an internal opening
- Luck out on securing a direct hire/graduate program interview
Even if any of the three scenarios happen, I believe that a lot of luck is still required to eventually get the FT job.
Other (more realistic but still hard) paths that I am considering:
- Apply for FT S&T at MM/smaller banks
- Off-cycle S&T internship at a BB
Doing an internship at a non-BB bank is probably more risk than I should be taking because I am giving up a comfortable job with decent prospects for a stint that can result in unemployment.
Any advice on making the move to S&T? Please let me know if my expectations are unrealistic. Thank you in advance.