MSF-2014 Advice needed. HELP!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am interested to pursue MSF this year. My main aim is to break into IB. ( location is not a concern, fee is however a major concern, I am from India).

I have been admitted to the MSF at Purdue( no schol) and SMU( with a schol of 5k). Got rejected by Vandy. waiting to hear from USC and UT Austin. I am a bit skeptical about their results. I have a GRE of 322( 170 q, 152 v) and a GPA of 3.9 from IIT and an irrelevant work experience ( Manager in a Public Sector bank in India) of 1.8 years. Cleared CFA Level 1.

I really want admission to the best college so that post study job opportunities wont be a problem, particularly because of the Visa sponsorship.

Hence, I am thinking of applying to WUSTL (4th round), Villanova (3rd round) and BC.

I really need your help in deciding whether to apply to these 3 colls. Where do I have my best chance of admission, considering my profile and the round to which I am applying).

Kindly advice me as I am very much confused and worried.

Thank you.

@"TNA" is really the person you want to talk to, but IMO 4th rounds and 3rd rounds don't usually have many spots left i don't know about SMU, but purdue has so recruiting from chicago if you're interested at all in working there

Best Response

I don't have my GRE to GMAT conversion tool with me, but will assume it is decent. The GPA is really good. IIT is a great institution. You have work experience which is nice.

So, the two options you have. I would take SMU over Purdue. I think Purdue is a great school, but their MSF is more about education and the degree than getting a job in the US. Meaning Purdue doesn't really have a developed MSF career office and/or historic placements.

SMU is in Dallas, a growing metro area. They've recently really put a lot more effort into the program and I like the new direction it is going in. And you are getting a scholarship which helps.

I'd apply to those other schools for 3rd/4th round and see what happens. If you get in we can revisit the question.

I also got till march 15th. I don't think WUSTL will get back so soon. I graduated from a target with 3.25.GMAT 650. Internships in consulting and real estate finance. Have work experience in a small hedge fund where I have recently started working. Btw why don't you apply to MFE programs those have better placements for internationals and also will fit better with your engg background. Although I can see why not if want to go into IB.

Hello Anthony, I applied for Columbia's Master in Financial Economics last year in December and I have been accepted...! I wasn't too sure because I seriously thought I screwed up the interview. Most of the candidates accepted are 23. I have a little question as the length of the program is 2 years. I know Columbia's very prestigious but do you think that it's really worth all the costs and the time? Thanks

Impedit distinctio dolorem quis est aut architecto rerum. Eum dolorem dolorum perspiciatis consequatur fugiat cumque assumenda. Quam doloremque qui excepturi soluta. Pariatur asperiores quo possimus aut et et accusamus.

Amet magni assumenda dignissimos minima repellat. Ut sunt aperiam ea quibusdam rerum est. Necessitatibus qui iure fugiat tempore.

Qui officia quidem aspernatur architecto sequi numquam. Veritatis sunt nemo sit sed. Reprehenderit iusto culpa omnis molestiae consequatur.

Sed quia vel sed quam cum amet blanditiis. Aliquid commodi consectetur qui voluptatem sunt delectus possimus. Fugit debitis similique eos voluptate iste sed omnis. Molestiae cumque dolores placeat consectetur facilis assumenda velit occaecati. Aut quo atque aut suscipit a qui id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”