Hey everybody,

I am in a tough spot and need some advice. I was hired back in November '10 to a big4 advisory practice. For whatever reason, the firm never gave me a confirmed start date (they put onto my onboarding portal 6/6/2011...however it was an arbitrary date). My recruiter told me that I had graduated sooner than they were ready for me, meaning they are trying to be awarded this project before i can begin work. I was unable to get a hold of my recruiter for the past 2 months to see if anything had changed and they said they might throw me into a different group for the time being while i wait...but didnt, and I finally got a hold of her yesterday, and she said that they will know if they were awarded the project in late July/early august.

I am unsure what to do now. It seems almost as if I was hired on a contingency basis and I am nervous about what will happen if they are not awarded this project. My question to you, would you guys recommend reaching out to another recruiter in a different office (an office that I know is hiring) and try to interview/explain my situation to them? I don't want to seem like I am going behind my current recruiters back, as she is really nice, the group I was hired for was something I really wanted to be in, the people were great and I really enjoyed the office's culture....but I need to look out for my interests as well. I was hired for an office in the East Coast, but I am from the Midwest. The office that I know is hiring from is in my hometown and I wouldn't mind staying here either (it would be in the same kind of group, just in a different city)!

What would you guys recommend I do? I really don't know what to do because I already filled out the paperwork and associated materials for a new hire.


Consulting Case Interview Course

  • 2,037 questions across 209 consulting firms. Crowdsourced from over 600,000 members.
  • 11 Detailed Exclusive Cases developed by a McKinsey Associate and 10+ hours of video.
  • Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring consultants just like you.

Comments (5)

Jun 28, 2011 - 10:33am

Contact the other recruiter, see what opportunities they have now. Explain the current situation with the other office.

Whoever gets back to you first wins.

Jul 5, 2011 - 7:02am

This might be just my opinion but this just seems really unprofessional of them to leave you hanging like that. Shouldn't they find some way to place you into another team or at least take back the offer?

"We are lawyers! We sue people! Occasionally, we get aggressive and garnish wages, but WE DO NOT ABDUCT!" -Boston Legal-
Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

May 2021 Consulting

  • Principal (20) $274
  • Director/MD (42) $261
  • Vice President (34) $249
  • Engagement Manager (74) $217
  • Manager (126) $165
  • 2nd Year Associate (119) $138
  • Senior Consultant (264) $128
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $127
  • NA (10) $116
  • Consultant (478) $114
  • 1st Year Associate (420) $113
  • Engineer (4) $110
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (110) $106
  • 2nd Year Analyst (240) $95
  • Associate Consultant (131) $92
  • 1st Year Analyst (828) $84
  • Intern/Summer Associate (130) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (368) $67