PWP 2021

I know that there are some threads out there but they kind of deviated and are outdated. What is the firm culture like for NYC? What are the best groups in terms of exit opp? Anything I need to know?

Most Helpful

The culture is very friendly and smart. It’s a very selective and tight-knit shop given its size, but it’s growing significantly (in size and market share of advisory deals, TYD ahead of PJT, CVP, and MOE). I’ve seen solid placement from all groups (MF, UMM, and HF for 20 man classes).

Specifically for group selection, I’d go with what you’re interested in, and/ or whatever is the most respected industries across IB. Also have heard from friends at the bank that you can have a generalist experience, where you can cover multiple industries and Rx. I don’t work there, but this is what I’ve consistently heard about the place. Also great pay, Good luck!

Does anyone have any info on their tech group in NY? Looks like most of tech is in SF. Would love to hear about culture and any anecdotes even for SF tech. 

I have friends who have been at PWP for many years. The firm has deteriorated since going public, and it's unfortunate since it used to be a great place to work. Junior turnover is at all time highs, with mass numbers of analysts and associates resigning each month. The firm is struggling to retain junior folks, and I think it's because quality of deals have gone down in an effort to bring in as much revenue as possible each quarter (since de-SPAC and new earnings pressures). Even looking at the firm's selected deal transactions on their website, you can see an increasing number of <$100M transactions rather than large cap blockbuster deals. Most of my friends have left the firm, and it's a huge bummer for their culture going forward.

That’s not necessarily true. Juniors are leaving all banks across the street. It was a rough (culturally) year for any bank doing deals; 2021 was an insane year for deals (and 2022 will be down across the board, even at GS/MS). This is a key reason why PWP had massive deal size and volume in 2021 (3rd overall boutique: trailing EVR and CVP, far ahead of PJT, Lazard, and Moelis. The growth trajectory and prestige of the firm are at the greatest point since inception. They also added a massive amount of juniors and partners over the past year, as well as many internal promotes (this alludes to their enticing culture and attractiveness of the firm to an array of bankers).

Just my two cents, hopefully this gives some more clarity. All groups in NYC, aside from maybe Tech/Fintech (media is ran out of SF), will give you great pay, M&A exposure, and exits.

Thanks for the perspective! I like hearing other people's opinions.

The growth trajectory and prestige of the firm are at the greatest point since inception. I have to disagree with this. The Industrials and C&R teams have lost almost half of their juniors in the last 8 months, not to mention the dissolution of an entire industry group (are there other global M&A-focused investment banks that do not have TMT?). I think if you spoke to juniors there, you would be surprised at how low the morale is.

Hopefully this is not the case, as it would be a very sad degradation of a previously great firm! Agree that pay and exits are great at PWP.

Can you provide color on why aside from Tech/Fintech? I thought they had a good relationship with Paypal

Nope, I think they’ll be fine. Expansive partner list: check it out, all ex global heads of GS, JPM, and MS. Great pay, first year associates made over 350k last year. Great place for a career if you don’t want a career at CVP

Pariatur dolor optio velit esse. Ea sunt autem vel alias ab est consectetur. Sit aut et voluptatum laboriosam ipsam. Ea cupiditate incidunt quos qui itaque. Nisi excepturi voluptatibus modi porro qui vel.

Voluptas in inventore ducimus et. Quo unde exercitationem error incidunt architecto magni. Inventore maxime officiis voluptatem non facere. Quam nam occaecati fuga vel quia laboriosam. Facilis id et et laborum cupiditate nihil hic. Rem quae officiis architecto officia est provident.

Asperiores voluptatum nihil eum. Et voluptatem voluptas voluptatem reiciendis deleniti consequuntur nulla. Corrupti illum asperiores similique nisi tempora est. Ducimus ut quam quibusdam id aut rem quia. Deserunt aut aspernatur quos minima et.

Autem fuga aliquid officia maiores. Qui eos excepturi maiores minus. Delectus accusantium voluptatibus quo facilis ex reiciendis qui. Veniam fugiat itaque eum ab aut quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”