Recruiting for SA 2020, but considering pledging this semester?

Hey all,

A bit of a lame question, but as of now recruiting for SA 2020 seems to be on the same accelerated timeline and recruiting will begin by March/April. This means networking should occur in the months following up to that.

However, I am seriously considering pledging a fraternity this semester. Juggling classes, pledging, and recruiting all at the same time may prove very difficult and I don't want to throw away potentially the one shot I have and what I have been preparing myself for all this time with IB recruitment. This would also though be the last shot I would have to pledge a house during my undergrad as well. Obviously career prospects are likely more important, but being a part of a fraternity may very well allow me experiences and 'polishing' that may pay dividends later on throughout life.

**I also haven't secured a summer 2019 role yet either.

Any thoughts? I know many on here were former greeks themselves.
Thanks

Funniest
jaiq67:

Obviously career prospects are likely more important

Nah fam, pledging beats out the career prospects all day. Like how will being a Summer Analyst and breaking into IB impact your life? Not at all. How will pledging impact your life? You'll have those stories for life....

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

I go to one of the most "Greek" schools where Greek life is almost as old as this country. It depends on how "rough" your pledging process is (you know what I mean). I can tell you now, if you are pledging a top house you will not have the time, nor the understanding from the older brothers to be able to recruit effectively. Focus on recruiting, tons of people aren't in fraternities. You don't really get "polished" or anything; you have a ton of fun. I'm going to get MS for this but that "polishing" and those workshops you have to do are so basic that if you're at the level of recruiting for IB you'll fall asleep. You join a fraternity to have fun and make memories / relationships with the brothers at your school; it is not going to make or break your career like the level of the IB you land at

(Others feel free to debate me on my advice, I am pretty jaded by the whole fraternity experience at this point)

“If you ain’t first, you’re last!” - GOAT

I'm super curious as a former geed in college with zero Greek life friends, what in the world are you doing when pledging for a frat that takes up so much time? I thought maybe there would be, like, a hell week of hazing and then you just go to parties and do volunteer work? Ready for the MS but my curiosity got the best of me. I was in the marching band and there was 6 AM - 9 AM practice and then getting drunk every day that ended in "day" and people still studied for classes and recruited.

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

Depending on the "tier" of fraternity you join hazing can be 6-7 weeks long with constant chores, "activities", and other time consuming pointless things like mandatory study hall but everyone just yells so you can't get anything done

Synergy_or_Syzygy:
I'm super curious as a former geed in college with zero Greek life friends, what in the world are you doing when pledging for a frat that takes up so much time?

Studying Greek materials, cleaning the house, mandatory house hours, mandatory brother hours, drinking 5-6 nights a week, sleeping since you were up all night and still had to go to your 8am freshman class, still trying to find time to study for class, have a sex life, etc.

Synergy_or_Syzygy:
I thought maybe there would be, like, a hell week of hazing and then you just go to parties and do volunteer work? Ready for the MS but my curiosity got the best of me. I was in the marching band and there was 6 AM - 9 AM practice and then getting drunk every day that ended in "day" and people still studied for classes and recruited.

Nah, pledging is a massive time suck. You're an indentured servant for a semester.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

2020 sa recruiting can very well be going on in late summer. Pledge, grow your network. I've had much better success meeting with/talking with brothers of my fraternity than I have school alums. It's also the best, wost time of your life. Lasting friendships and memories

OP just pledge and get your interview skills down by March.

I can confirm at my school that two BB's so far and two EB's will be completing all of their OCR hiring in March/first week of April for 2020. A lot of the rest are gonna be done by mid-summer

Speaking as someone is in IB and was in a fraternity in college, I think you may be a little behind the curb and shouldn't pledge, unless you knew the time commitment wouldn't be too much to handle. The fraternity may be fun for the next few years but one day you'll be 24 and realize that the fraternity provides absolutely no benefits whatsoever, unlike a career in banking, which is very hard to break into.

Spot on, brutal truth is that in the real world most people do not talk about fraternities and if you mention it around women its kind of a bad look. No one cares what parties you went to 2 years ago in college.

It is the equivalent of talking about high school while in college

Pledge and find out. No seriously, if you find a fraternity that you have a bid to and you enjoy having those friends for your remaining 2 years on campus will make that experience far more valuable. If your pledge masters and fraternity aren't accepting of your grind to break into IB when you have to be away on a weekend for a superday or something you truly can't miss then you wouldn't want them as brothers. Its also not a true commitment you can drop if you find its too hard but I would think that you can balance the two if you're willing to sacrifice your sleep (which is probably a given as a pledge anyway)

Definitely pledge, probably going to help your confidence which would help with interviews. You'll also have the alum network to reach out to. We probably had 1 go to GS every year. Also I would be fairly up front during rush about what your career prospects are, I'm almost positive you will find some older guys who will mentor you even during pledge ship, the number one way to get rich alums is to get guys who want to be rich.

Pledging will be a huge time suck though, just remember the end goal and you'll get through it all.

Sadly though most of these kids aren't thinking big picture about who will be alumni later on; if you are in a fraternity that has older kids going into banking sure they might help, but I am sure those kids are in the relevant business organizations as well and will more than likely mentor you there

Nobis doloremque qui accusantium facere autem autem sit reiciendis. Quibusdam excepturi commodi repellat veritatis distinctio nisi. Sit sed odit et aliquid sapiente quia voluptatum. Recusandae necessitatibus et qui ab. Soluta quae nobis quasi suscipit sapiente. Quibusdam odio quo dignissimos. Ea consequuntur sapiente vero aut cupiditate.

Eaque non quia sint nostrum ea quis. Recusandae qui eaque facere rerum vel corporis. Ex odio ex cupiditate dolores dolor in. Mollitia ea optio ab iusto. Dicta facere dolor ea voluptate voluptatem est aliquam ut. Voluptas reprehenderit ut laboriosam dolor aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”