Ron Desantis vs. Kamala Harris in 2024? Who would you pick?

I predict these 2 will the party nominees in 2024. Biden will be too old and will endorse Kamala as his successor and Desantis will get the Trump voters.

Don't think Trump will run in 2024 either.

Kamala is not going to be the Dem nominee. She’s not well liked even in her own party much less trying to win over moderate voters. While I do think DeSantis is the strongest candidate the GOP has atm I am skeptical that Trump won’t run again. Personally I’d pick DeSantis over Trump in s heartbeat, but I’m not sure if DeSantis would win the primaries or even bother running if Trump does.

Array

Republicans are best off picking a candidate not associated with COVID, and DeSantis's selling point is that he doesn't care about staying safe.  600,000 dead and still being anti-mask and anti-vax is a horrible look.

Most Helpful

DeSantis’ selling point is that despite the fact that Florida is a state with a large ELDERLY population, the death rate for Covid is 26th  highest when looked at per capita. And on top of that DeSantis gave a lot of Covid policing power to local jurisdictions which meant more densely populated areas had some restrictions, while less densely populated areas did not have any. Lockdowns on small businesses of course never existed. This ended up being one of the most successful plans in the entire country in terms of balancing the economy and health of its citizens. It means nothing to you who has been able to study from home and complete internships with ease as a grad student, but for the working class it truly means a lot. And what I just said is for Covid specifically.. We could go on and on about other policy stances that make him a good candidate.

Array

Drumpfy

Republicans are best off picking a candidate not associated with COVID, and DeSantis's selling point is that he doesn't care about staying safe.  600,000 dead and still being anti-mask and anti-vax is a horrible look.

Doesn't care about sTaYiNg SaFe yet did vastly better than Michigan, New York, New Jersey, and California when it came to death rate while having THE largest elderly population in the country. He amazing managed to not cause tens of thousands of senior deaths by electing not to put COVID patients in nursing homes, who could've possibly guessed that not doing that would be such a good idea? You libs are so scared of a virus with a 99.9% survival rate for the vast majority of the population it's actually pathetic. And now you clamber over yourselves to get an experimental gene therapy, whose makers bear 0 liability for any side effects, that literally doesn't even prevent you from catching or spreading said virus. All this while continuing to cripple your state economies with lockdowns that make no observable statistical difference in terms of viral spread when compared to literally anywhere else in the world. Truly brilliant. 

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Controversial

I doubt Biden is going to step down and not run. He is in very good physical shape for his age.  I guess if he feels like he can't do the job, may be he will not run again.  I have not been following politics much lately but the republicans still seem to think that storming the capitol was not so bad.  May be they should go with someone who has a high intellect and some character so they can get independent votes.  

As a conservative, nothing financeabc said is false lmfao. Republican snowflakes triggered and ms'ing because he called our presidential candidate out.

While Biden has got a lot done he has to overcome high crime, illegal immigration, the threat of China.  Trump ran and won off these issues in 2016, but now they're just talking about culture war nonsense and conspiracy theories about Trump winning.  The Republicans could win so easily but their base just wants to own the libs

I don’t think senators like Cruz or Hawley have much of a shot due to being too caught up in Trump’s baggage. I think the strong candidates lie in governors like DeSantis or Abbot. I didn’t mention Abbot though because I have not heard about him even contemplating running as of yet. He definitely could run on police support/illegal immigration control though.

Array

Sure Biden isn’t hooked to oxygen or using a wheelchair (which I guess you could argue is not bad for his age) but he’s weak for a leadership role imo. He struggles to put together sentences during the little media time we get to see of him, and his overall lack of presence from the public eye doesn’t help.

Array

Some of his "rallies" during the campaign were pretty pathetic but I was pleasantly surprised by the townhall in Cincinnati he did this past week. Sure, there were a few times he slipped up that conservative media ran with but he had some good meaningful answers that you would never get with the other guy, so overall not bad for 2 hours of discussion and answering questions on stage.

financeabc

I doubt Biden is going to step down and not run. He is in very good physical shape for his age.  I guess if he feels like he can't do the job, may be he will not run again.  I have not been following politics much lately but the republicans still seem to think that storming the capitol was not so bad.  May be they should go with someone who has a high intellect and some character so they can get independent votes.  

You've clearly never listened to him actually speak lmfao

The man trails off into nothing in the middle of sentences worse than my friend's grandmother who literally has dementia 

NoEquityResearch

financeabc

I doubt Biden is going to step down and not run. He is in very good physical shape for his age.  

Physical shape yes....mental shape no....that's really the problem here.

Idk, I went back and listened to parts of the recent town hall, what you are saying is a substantial exaggeration.  Most people his age are not as sharp as they were when they were younger.  He is not the brightest bulb in the pack and is not a good speaker.  That along with him being 80, means that he will say stuff that may seem a little weird to you.   For me, he was far down on the list of presidential candidates that I wanted to see on the ticket.  My guy was Bloomberg, who is another old guy but at least he is smart and successful

financeabc

but the republicans still seem to think that storming the capitol was not so bad. 

It warms my heart to know that US politicians feared for their lives. Now they know what they put millions of people around the world through on a regular basis.

They deserved worse.

If you believe that the US capitol should be stormed and occupied, you are a traitor.  

financeabc

I have not been following politics much lately but the republicans still seem to think that storming the capitol was not so bad. 

Nah definitely a bad thing but cracks me up that libs have the audacity to continually try and be self-righteous about this a few months after burning down half the country, which was 100x worse.  Simply because it was the capital and not your local Macy’s doesn’t make a huge difference to me.  You’ll argue with me about it being a government building and treason and crap but whatever

Personally I can’t take a single dem seriously anymore after the riots last year.  I’ll talk to you at work and nod my head and smile because I have to, but inside you’ve lost any credibility as a respectable person that you might’ve had before.  Srs

edit: for the record if someone told me they were at the capital during that incident they would also lose the same credibility

financeabc

I have not been following politics much lately but the republicans still seem to think that storming the capitol was not so bad. 

Nah definitely a bad thing but cracks me up that libs have the audacity to continually try and be self-righteous about this a few months after burning down half the country, which was 100x worse.  Simply because it was the capital and not your local Macy's doesn't make a huge difference to me.  You'll argue with me about it being a government building and treason and crap but whatever

Personally I can't take a single dem seriously anymore after the riots last year.  I'll talk to you at work and nod my head and smile because I have to, but inside you've lost any credibility as a respectable person that you might've had before.  Srs

edit: for the record if someone told me they were at the capital during that incident they would also lose the same credibility

No normal dems condone riots but you do not see how storming the capitol is different?  Storming the capitol was a plan based a fiction novel focused on how the election was stolen.  Our own POTUS was encouraging people to do this and condoned their actions.  These people literally wanted to undue the election.  This is shit that goes on in a third world country, not the USA.  People protesting unfair treatment is not the same thing.  

If Biden gets his infrastructure bills passed and Pete Buttigieg decides to run, he could be an unstoppable candidate.

I have 2 gay friends who also absolutely loath Pete. I don't see him being a viable candidate for 2024, but can still see him running anyway just to keep getting his name out there. Our current President had 2 (3?) failed runs so it's not like it'll count against him in the far future. 

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

It’s just speculation and an opinion (which we all can have) whether someone is “unstoppable” but fact is he had very little name recognition, had the lowest net worth of all candidates, the only one not a millionaire of billionaire, had no “Washington” experience and still won the most delegates in IA, won as many delegates Bernie in NH, outperformed multiple senators in all first four states. Big reason for his success is that despite being a policy wonk, unlike coastal liberals he can read the room, and resonate with people who may not always agree with him on policy. He was by far the most popular candidate amongst the Obama-Trump voters in IA. It could be his heartland and industrial Midwest background or that he had to live his entire life being “different” but he just resonates with a Certain demographic and it’s not even entirely about policy, it’s all about messaging, tone, rhetoric and optics. Look up how he handled a Question about abortion in a Fox News townhouse to see how he can handle a hot button issue in front of an audience that may not agree with him. He showed he has mastered the art of walking that fine line. We can all like or dislike anyone and do not need to have like or dislike the same person but hopefully this sheds light on what the Pete B appeal is for at least some people. 

Hawley has almost no chance of winning (if any) imo due to his involvement with Jan 6 and voting to not certify the vote. I also find it annoying that he consistently talks about breaking up big tech (and even wrote a book over it) but to my knowledge he has failed to really execute any meaningful legislation in the Senate against big tech. He doesn’t really come across as someone that can drive policies into action.

Array

I still don't get the conservative take on breaking up big tech.  If a few big companies are doing certain bad things, why won't a lot of smaller ones do the same thing?  Do smaller companies inherently not ban conservatives or whatever?

Kamala couldn't even poll 1% in her home state and you think she'd be their go-to nominee for 2024? She's almost as broadly disliked as Hillary Clinton was. The only reason she got chosen as Biden's VP was because he needed a minority with a vagina. Even then it was only because she's a hardline corporate Democrat vs someone like Stacey Abrams, she doesn't actually support any of the progressive positions like medicare for all or wealth redistribution but had no problem lying through her teeth about it on the campaign trail. I genuinely can't guess who the nominee for 2024 will be, but I doubt it'll be her or Warren, and part of me doubts Bernie will even be alive/capable of running by then. Mayor Pete gives off the vibe of someone they're incubating for a future run, but he could probably make a good case. 

I genuinely hope Trump doesn't run in 2024 because he triggers the left so much that they'll be more likely to mobilize. He served his purpose of disrupting the uniparty hold for a brief time but ultimately didn't do much in the way of making a lasting difference aside from his SCOTUS nominees. DeSantis isn't nearly as easy for the media to whip up a storm around and paint as the bad guy, so no question he's the better candidate to lead with from the Republican side. I do wonder who else would step up to the plate though, Ted Cruz seems to be positioning himself for a run again. A ticket with him as the VP and DeSantis leading is the best I can think of for the time being, we'll see how things shake out by the midterms. I'd like to see Kristi Noem somewhere in the mix as well, if not running on the front of ticket then at least in the pool of potential VPs. 

I don't think either option makes for a very good candidate at this point in time tbh. Harris hasn't exactly showed a shred of competence on the little she's done so far (Border stuff) and she's generally not been a very likable person - look at the stuff coming out recently about discontent in the VP office, one of her campaign people blasting her after exiting during the primaries, and black people never really getting behind her during her presidential run.

De Santis has gotten good press and attention recently because of his pandemic response, but still hard to gauge how he's seen nationally and if that translates to a strong candidacy. This is the same guy who barely won in 2018 and was considerably helped by Trump just to pull off that upset. Obviously as the incumbent he should fare better next year, but to see the high presidential hopes that some conservatives are already pinning on this guy are hilarious. The guy is still a relatively unknown quantity and simply trying to use the Trump playbook (similar rhetoric & tactics) isn't going to be effective in 2024.

Also the Harris/Hillary comparison is moot as best - the only parallel is that they are both not likable. Harris is a weak candidate, but she doesn't suffer from the hefty baggage and major gaffes that Clinton suffered from in the lead-up to 2016 which is why Trump was so effective:

-DNC skullduggery that angered Bernie bros and made some of them sit out

-Appearing beholden to the financial industry with the shit ton of money she made from GS & DB for speeches. Harris has close ties to SV obviously but the optics surrounding tech, although souring, are not that bad yet. 

-Her genuinely being aloof & arrogant during the campaign. Never doing press conferences despite being propped up by media. & Ignoring key states

-Related to second point, inheriting Obama TPP baggage that Bernie weaponized against her and then Trump

-Emails debacle & investigation surrounding that

It's true DeSantis barely won Florida in 2018, but that's not really surprising considering FL is a swing state where elections are incredibly tight. The pandemic and Trump's strong 2020 performance when looked at solely incorrectly portrays the idea that FL is a Republican state, but historically speaking this isn't true. Obama won in 2008, 2012, whereas Trump won in 2016 & 2020. It would be a disservice though to call FL a swing state but leave out the 2000 presidential election where the spread was a handful of votes between the two candidates. It's fair to say that nobody knows how DeSantis will really play out in 2+ years, but as of right now he does seem solid. Who else were you thinking of on both sides that could be good candidates?

Array

Oh it's going to get much worse, just wait. The bond market is throwing off so many red flags it's like someone walked onto a soccer pitch with a baseball bat and just started swinging at people. I honestly see the Dems getting crushed in the midterms at this rate. 

Tim Scott is an underrated pick for president for the GOP, and someone who could win on the national scale. He leads the pack for fundraising in the GOP (second to Schumer when you include Democrats into the mix) despite being in a safe GOP seat. Most importantly, both the Trump wing and the Republican establishment generally approve of him, and his work on opportunity zones/regional development and a GOP-version of police reform (along with his calm demeanor) will appeal to moderates.

Why would Trump leave the party when he is the defacto leader and a significant, if not majority, of the party believes the election was stolen? He has successfully shifted the base of the party from GOP neocon intervention BS to America First, anti-elite, working class, populism.  

I find it more plausible some cuck like Adam Kizinger or Liz Cheney tries to run as a third party ticket to stop Trump or DeSantis's nationalist policies

Trump is way too divisive and he's hated by a good chunk of his own party that thought he was too radical. If he runs as a republican again he's absolutely doomed. If he runs as 3rd party he's doomed. Basically it's been a fun ride (assuming you're his fan) but the ride is over. Trump won't win an election again

I don’t think will be the case on the basis that if Trump runs I highly doubt that any other Republicans will run against him. DeSantis will be the clear nominee if Trump doesn’t run, with his only potential competitor being Nikki Haley (who I don’t think is that much competition). I don’t see Pence or Cruz getting the nomination.

It’s possible (but a stretch) that the GOP tries to go with DeSantis and prevent Trump from running because they know they have very little shot of winning the general election with Trump on the ballot. In that case Trump could retaliate by running as a third party candidate.

Array

Hoooo boy the amount of trash comments in this thread . . . just complete ignorance and naivete about how US politics / the US political system actually works. Not shitting on you younger guys/gals at all cause I was in your shoes once but goddamn I truly can tell I’m moving into OG territory here at WSO. Anyways I’m fucking sauced but just to make a few random points:

• Whoever said Pete Buttigieg would be an “unstoppable candidate” lol . . . nothing against the guy but you realize that the Democratic party’s formula for electoral success requires 80%+ of the votes from a particular demographic group and that this group doesn’t have particularly favorable views of homosexuals???
  • “I doubt Biden is going to step down and not run. He is in very good physical shape for his age.” Jesus christ again nothing against the guy but literally anyone who is not a) blinded by partisanship and b) possesses a fucking brain, can see Biden is not 100%. Not even close. I think its probably close to even odds he finishes his term. And beltway rumours don’t contradict that estimation.
  • A few comments with a major #DeathSantis vibe; I wish we could launch you BlueAnon fucks along with the QAnon whackos into space permanently. Because you are stupid, let me clue you in on something . . . everytime the press tries to take a (completely dishonest) swing at DeSantis, the lies are quite transparent to normie voters and with each “hit piece” the Democrats bleed more votes. Good job!
  • This segues into what another comment said re: DeSantis is an unknown quantity, just hype, etc. The “negative” media coverage has helped him tremendously and frankly the Dem operatives in the mainstream media are entirely to blame, having single-handedly made him into a national figure instead of some random Governor with an R next to his name. At this point DeSantis is not an “unknown quantity” lol (do you read, my son?) and this ain’t fucking hype. So whoever said that, pipe the fuck down please.  
  • RON DESANTIS V. KAMALA HARRIS WOULD BE AN ABSOLUTE BLOODBATH IN 2024 (under the assumption that voters possess the same information they hold today . . . one 3 years is a fucking eternity in politics and two I assume all politicians are scumbags by default so who the fuck knows DeSantis could have a goddamn second family for all we know . . . although Kamala whoring herself out to Willie Mo Brown didn’t hurt so again who knows). To sum up a long-winded explanation: there are several major tailwinds for the Republican party in 2022 and 2024 and  Ron DeSantis is a particularly strong candidate for a variety of reasons, while Kamala Harris is a particularly terrible candidate. However Dems aren’t dumb (I’ll play fast and loose with the verbiage here lol) and know she will get killed so will look to someone else maybe Michelle Obama who would be a formidable candidate. Also obviously the wild card is that Trump runs (so DeSantis won’t cause he isn’t stupid) but I think he is being coy in an effort to maintain his influence over the party until midterms at least and actually wont run.
"Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true. But many other things are believed simply because they have been asserted repeatedly—and repetition has been accepted as a substitute for evidence." - Thomas Sowell

“Beltway rumors” lol! You sound like one of  the political operatives on the right that I follow on Twitter. Guy keeps harping on about the beltway, his beltway knowledge, “rumors” & connections and has been wrong about just about everything since 2018 mid-terms. Always love when people talk in absolutes like this and clearly show their biases because 9/10 times they are wrong.

whitecollarandsuspenders

Hoooo boy the amount of trash comments in this thread .

Dude talks talks about trash comments and then trashes everyone, as if dude has some special insight on a website comprised 99% of opinions.

K bud, does it seem like “beltway rumors” was the crux of any argument I made? Lol I will help you out with a recommendation . . . right now it’s the listening part, not the talking part. So listen good, 

"Some things are believed because they are demonstrably true. But many other things are believed simply because they have been asserted repeatedly—and repetition has been accepted as a substitute for evidence." - Thomas Sowell

The beltway angle wasn’t the crux of your argument but you acting like you have some unique vantage point because of your age or experience + using the tired “beltway rumors” stuff was just ironic and hilarious.  Ironic because there was no special or unique insight - it was just partisan boilerplate you would read or see anywhere else lmao but yet you feign some sense of superiority for having subpar insights that really show you have just about the same handle on politics as just about everyone else. Actually questioning your reading ability, at this point, if you thought the comment was just about beltway rumors - it was about the lack of insight but false assuredness! I’ll help you out with a little recommendation since you seem like you need a little help understanding, “wise OG” - don’t get bristled or try that condescending bullshit for a comment not even remotely worth listening or reading, mate. Cheers

Would you like your country to go in the same direction as Crazyfornia or Florida? Geeee what a tough choice. Fairly sure that the US ceased to be a democracy anyway. The takeover by woke sociopaths across all institutions has been impressive. You basically now have to purge: army, secret services, academia and lower education, new and old media, HR/sustainability departments. Basically the entire professional class. Country is done, let it collapse.

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

Ron Desantis (also went to Miami with the boys a few months back and it was the best weekend I had since pre-COVID so I'm a bit biased)

Would love to see Tim Scott and Nikki Haley (although I'm not a fan of almost all of her point of views on the Middle East) run but I don't think they would go far. 

Outside of NYC, in the suburbs - a lot of people are leaning more towards GOP than I've ever seen before. According to my parents, it reminds them of the Reagan years (in their opinion, the best President in their lifetime).

Quod officiis animi et aut consequuntur veniam. Eveniet aliquam quia earum maxime sed dolor totam. Expedita culpa tenetur nulla necessitatibus.

Sunt rerum numquam ea dolorem aut et. Et quae pariatur quod laborum quidem laudantium. Error eos et cumque quis expedita impedit.

Soluta qui quisquam soluta velit similique ut aliquid. Exercitationem sint beatae molestiae perferendis incidunt non. Voluptatem autem ut nulla laboriosam quo fugit.

Et fugit esse impedit pariatur nesciunt nam nisi. Cumque facilis aliquid omnis enim non iure. Fuga earum omnis debitis est molestiae dolores repellendus.

Necessitatibus ut eligendi quaerat fugiat numquam voluptatem rerum. Laboriosam ipsam facere distinctio suscipit. Enim unde ut eaque et enim.

Dayman?

Aperiam facilis sunt quia vitae. Eaque id dolores officiis beatae modi consequatur id. Ut accusamus neque et quis aspernatur. Quas ullam fugiat atque dicta. Magnam commodi odio culpa id nostrum.

Sequi placeat reprehenderit veniam a ratione doloremque. Numquam aut explicabo quo sit architecto fugiat vero. Consectetur quo in maiores expedita voluptatem est neque. Voluptatibus est ex amet ratione. Delectus cum illum quis fuga eos autem.

Non non omnis saepe tempora cum animi quos. Deserunt neque nisi minima porro perferendis officiis tempore officia. Saepe non non fuga dolores eos iusto voluptatem. Libero quia rem inventore corrupti.

Consequuntur deserunt dolore accusamus tempora sunt quia modi et. Quos qui a exercitationem aliquid fugiat. Placeat rerum vel iusto aut doloribus. Qui numquam dolores quia. Quo iure qui ipsam nam.

Non omnis id enim magni ea commodi fugiat. Labore ut vel saepe omnis occaecati.

Aspernatur fugiat autem ea consequatur consequatur. Iste omnis dicta sapiente. Quo iure cumque et aut quasi omnis quam enim. Molestias omnis voluptates officia delectus nulla. Est rerum expedita qui dicta.

Ratione sed sed quia sit quibusdam. Consequatur rerum accusantium quos. Rerum a sequi nihil nobis a repudiandae. Ex aspernatur rerum qui minima.

Ut aliquam assumenda aut eius sit excepturi. Hic dolores dolores excepturi quo nesciunt eum. Dolorum amet sint illo fugit sed rerum autem. Quam qui amet et vitae sit quae. Deleniti in mollitia repellat odio esse nostrum dicta.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”