SA 2021 NYC Housing Thread

Hope recruiting is going well for everyone – I recognize this is ~12 mo in advance, but figured I'd start a thread that might pick up in the coming months, given quarantine boredom. Keeping it optimistic with the assumption that SA 2021 will be in person.

I'm going to be doing an IBD SA stint at an EB and would want housing in midtown; I know the popular options by convenience are the student dorms (NYU/New School). I think it might be most cost effective to rent out an AirBnB with about 2-3 other roommates (as many dorms require a dining plan).... If interested, definitely lmk!

Interested to hear what plans you all have, as well as any reviews. Hopefully this thread can be of resource throughout the year!

What do you guys think are the chances that we are all virtual next summer?

JPM also just reposted an article about the value of online internships (LinkedIn)

0% chance imo

edit: read the post wrong. 100% chance imo.

Housing in NYC is best found just a few weeks before your move in date, and I think there is a very low chance that internships next summer are virtual because there are some banks that are making people come in post Labor Day and a majority of the other banks doing the same starting from the new year, but this is mute point if there is another outbreak.

If you want a cheap place though in Midtown, Hell’s Kitchen and around Times Square are good.

for those who previously did airbnb – how much did you pay individually per month?

AirBNB is a pretty solid option. Paid around $1300 for a room with a few other roomates. Was located in Manhattan but not too close to my office. Was in a pretty good and safe area close to multiple trains. Good food options, close to parks, etc... Had a ~25 min commute.

I was a SA this year at BofA and was going to live at EHS housing (Marymount building on 2nd and 55th). Obviously the internship was virtual but EHS was awesome about refunds and we got all our money back as long as we canceled by early May. Sorry I don’t have first hand experience living there, but they were super flexible and helpful and it seemed like it would’ve been a nice place to live!

Just got SA offer for a BB in Midtown (hope it's in person). What are some good spots besides dorms? Don't mind splashing some extra $ for a better place in terms of convenience that's also not too isolated from others socially, will probs get a roommate. Not from NYC so don't really know the ropes there in terms of real estate. 

Should we be concerned with having a single because there is a solid chance we will at least need to have some days virtual. I don’t want my roommate in the back of my zoom call.

Updated thoughts on SA 2021 in NYC being virtual? I'm having mixed feelings with promising vaccine news but rising cases. Anyone know when we should get a confirmation from banks for in-person or virtual? 

Considering any American can get a vaccine by April-May 2021, I'm decently bullish on it. Spoke with a VP and it seems like a lot of banks will be flirting with a 'Hybrid' model for 2021 so like 2-3 weeks of in-person stuff followed by a (mostly) virtual gig. They might try and make conferences/meetings virtual, but I'd still expect some face time especially for S&T. Not sure about IBD but would expect something similar.  

Best case, we go fully in-person with mandatory vaccination, worst case we get a hybrid with a mix of in-person and virtual. Would be very surprised if FO goes 100% virtual though. 

Seems too early. Even if everyone can get it by May, that’s too late to alert interns who need to make housing and travel accommodations. Additionally the banks will be bringing back workers in phases, etc and attempting to plan an in person internship on top of this would be a nightmare. 

Array

With al of the discussion here, when should I start looking for housing? My bank said they won't get back to us on this until March. Will I still be able to find housing then? Any chance NYU housing will be available this summer?

About whether the internship is virtual or not next summer. I'm going to guess hybrid at best and virtual at worst. No way it's going to be 100% in person unless the vaccine gets massively distributed sooner than expected.

I would say start looking in February, theres no point in looking this early. It's a renter market anyways and with the next few months being the best time for renters just given cylical movement in RE markets plus Feb being the last wave of pre-covid signed leases that are about to expire, there shouldn't be an issue with trying to find a lease/sublet/AirBnb early next year. If the bank were to announce that the internship is in person then you can lock in the place, but if they delay it until say April or May you still shouldn't really have any issue finding a place.

Microsoft just went 100% virtual for all their 2021 Summer Internships and I believe Google said 2021 Summer Internships are all virtual back in October and are seeming to stick with that rhetoric up until now given the recent positive vaccine news. I feel like Wall St. internships will fight for in-person settings but I can't see that realistically happening.  

If we're lucky and get to be in person/hybrid does anyone have any suggestions of places to live in tribeca?

OP checking back in months later lol

I don't expect to hear word from my bank on what the setting will be anytime in the near future, but given that the vaccine hasn't been rolled out yet & it's December, I'm thinking that we'll be hybrid or virtual. Even if within the next few weeks/months a vaccine is made public, it'll be quite some time until it is fully administered to resume normalcy.

I'm not going to seriously start apartment searching until Feb/March and hopefully by then I'll hear word from my bank. Despite this, in the event that it is *completely* virtual, I'm still going to try and rent out an apt (NYC or elsewhere) as WFH is really not an option with my crowded household :/

*Also, I'm thinking of potentially starting a thread for finding SA roommates in the coming months (e.g. indicate city & location, budget, living characteristics/preferences, etc) so that people can reach out and PM each other to potentially organize something. Is this something people might be interested in?

Yes, please. Would be so helpful- looks like a lot of SA 21's are heading up to NYC regardless of whether we're virtual or not. 

Most Helpful

Here's my take on NYC SA Housing:

Midtown Offices:

• Murray Hill / Gramercy is by the far the most popular location for these offices and they will range around $2k-3kk if you plan to live by yourself or about $1.5-$2.25k if you choose to have roommates. You can sublet or AirBnB honestly in these locations. Nightlife is good here as a lot of young professionals choose this area
  • Long Island City is another great location as it is very close to midtown (1-2 train stops into the city) and is located in Queens, meaning COL will be lower. Nightlife is not amazing here, but because of its proximity to the city it doesn't matter since you can go there instead and Uber home. If you want to live in Hunter's Point in LIC, then prices will be higher for the nicer neighborhood

Downtown / FiDi Offices:

• Battery park city is very popular and is absolutely beautiful. The prices here are STEEP. Studios will range from $2.5k-$3.5k. If you choose this area, I strongly recommend having roommates so that you're only allocating about $2k a month renting. Nightlife is okay here but mostly will probably travel more to midtown / village area for better ones (but honestly nightlife shouldn't be a huge factor for a SA only)
  • Tribeca is not super popular simply because it's so expensive. I'm talking a MINIMUM of $3k a month even with roommates... This is a very wealthy area and for a SA stint, I don't recommend it, unless you have daddy's wallet
  • Hudson Square is viable as it'll cost only $1.5k-2.5k and with roommates even cheaper. The neighborhood is rich but it is also farther from most offices, so do note that

Personal Opinion:

DO NOT dorm at NYU, they charge around $2.4k a month for dorming in their law school and the dorms are not great at all. NYU is located in the village which is pretty far from both downtown and midtown offices. Strongly recommend having at least 1 roommate (probably someone doing their SA stint too). Also a bit on me, I was born and raised in the city and have lived here for over 20 years.

In addition, some of you guys are probably worried about being able to find a roommate. I recommend finding your fellow incoming SA at your firm, via school or LinkedIn and just reach out and start a dialogue. If you guys click, I'd say think about rooming with them. In terms of timing, I'd say start to do a little searching in late March and early April. You'll probably commit to a place sometime in May. 

Array

Question: for Airbnb, do you have to pay the full 10 wks rent upfront? or pay it off in bits like traditional rent? Looking at a place with two other friends that comes to ~10k for the entire summer rental but we don't have the money to pay upfront to reserve the place...

Guys, if it isn’t in person in NYC consider yourselves lucky. Don’t move to NYC if you don’t have to be in the office, move to the beach for a few months or something. NYC suuuuckkkkssss right now. 

Quis odit labore quam et ipsa. Sed cupiditate quia laborum corporis eaque. Rerum sit recusandae accusantium vel ut iste.

Accusantium dicta qui ab ut minima est. Occaecati veniam dolorem expedita adipisci laborum. Sunt et atque quos. Qui doloremque ipsa neque deserunt saepe amet natus.

Sint laudantium quis veritatis ut laboriosam. Et ut quibusdam voluptatem minus est architecto tempora. Adipisci sunt officiis ut. Iusto est eum praesentium blanditiis quidem. A animi hic adipisci asperiores eos ratione qui vel. Voluptatibus vero itaque similique quas.

Explicabo ea alias saepe. Itaque quia voluptas fugit est et quas. Incidunt id adipisci et ut omnis. Illum perspiciatis impedit placeat sed dolorem.

Est aut ad ipsa pariatur qui repellat. Aliquid sint repellat inventore error accusamus sit ut. Quidem voluptatem consequatur modi totam laborum.

Illum qui eum sit amet suscipit sit. Eligendi commodi cum corporis non quo hic quisquam. Sunt consequuntur quaerat aut. Aut vitae ut explicabo voluptatum sint harum. Necessitatibus omnis minima fugit autem atque.

Neque quibusdam fuga laboriosam sunt. Consequuntur quia sed neque non aut nemo. Enim nihil accusamus aut suscipit dicta veniam numquam. Odit laudantium recusandae perspiciatis amet necessitatibus et. Magnam voluptatibus neque quia. Optio et reiciendis corporis.

Quia velit enim ipsam sunt eaque. Esse et rerum fugit ipsa soluta ipsum. Ut repellendus corporis non rerum quod accusantium et. Qui dolorum aliquid ut consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”