Stanford MBA baller lands $675K offer

Yowza! This includes a guaranteed bonus of around $500K. Not sure if this person will get a discretionary annual bonus on top of that, but either way, it's a sick offer. Apparently, the job is with a "hedge fund in the northeast." My guess is it's one of paulson, soros, och-ziff, viking, or baupost.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/24/this-years-h…

Marcus_Halberstram:
Agree with above, he's either joining his HF-founder or uber-successful PM dad or he's returning to the same HF he was at Pre-MBA.

I if you read through the comments under the article, someone mentions that he was a 3rd year analyst with the firm that left for b-school and then got rehired. Obviously there is no way to tell if that is true or if the person who said that actually knows the facts, but as you mentioned, that is probably the case.

Regards

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

I just read that article by Poets&Quants and it is terribly written and lacks understanding of the reporting dynamics. For example, it claims that the highest paid investment banking recruit at Duke got a $200,000 base, which simply does not happen. The base is $100,000 everywhere that that is obviously a misreport (though understandable since all-in comp is around $300,000 the first full-year, after the stub year).

The information is not verified and the author is just blindly quoting shit. It is off by claiming all-in numbers for base salaries and doesn't really check facts. For example, bulge bracket and boutique banking base is $100,000 everywhere and M/B/B's are $125,000.

The $675,000 is definitely possible but somewhat unlikely. I don't know why a HF will pay so much guaranteed money for an unproven product (who isn't even a lateral hire). The $675,000 sounds fishy for me unless it is a family member / founder helping family / friend out.

Best Response
Vancouver Canucks 2011:
I just read that article by Poets&Quants and it is terribly written and lacks understanding of the reporting dynamics. For example, it claims that the highest paid investment banking recruit at Duke got a $200,000 base, which simply does not happen. The base is $100,000 everywhere that that is obviously a misreport (though understandable since all-in comp is around $300,000 the first full-year, after the stub year).

The information is not verified and the author is just blindly quoting shit. It is off by claiming all-in numbers for base salaries and doesn't really check facts. For example, bulge bracket and boutique banking base is $100,000 everywhere and M/B/B's are $125,000. Also, I believe that some places bring you in at $100k or $110k and then bump your pay after your stub year.

Lastly, you don't know who the guy is, so how can you know he is unproven?

Regards

The $675,000 is definitely possible but somewhat unlikely. I don't know why a HF will pay so much guaranteed money for an unproven product (who isn't even a lateral hire). The $675,000 sounds fishy for me unless it is a family member / founder helping family / friend out.

Dude, not everyone that comes out of an MBA program is hired as an associate. What if some VP left to go get an MBA because he always wanted to do it and then got hired at a bank...he isn't going to be getting paid $100k base.

And, Marcus is right, the pay varies from place to place...so your definitive statements make you seem very uninformed.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

$100K base salary for an associate? At a BB or even elite or lesser boutique? Probably not since 2006.

Starting associate on the street is anywhere from $110-150K. There's been quite a bit more variance these days as the trend for a greater portion of comp to be in the form of base salary continues. It used to be that there were usually two camps that most of the banks adhered to, now its increasingly the case that everyone is anywhere from 5-40K higher/lower than the next guy... it all evens out come year end, all-in comp is generally comparable. Only benefit is less of your total comp is discretionary at a higher base bank.

At 675 one would not be able to afford a decent place in New York (esp. a co-op), much less enjoy any appurtenances and raise a family. Baller is an overstatement unless he's 23.

It's really not that much and goes very quickly, even in other areas.

Stanford, I am disappointed.

I rich, smarts, and totally in debt.

MrDouche:
At 675 one would not be able to afford a decent place in New York (esp. a co-op), much less enjoy any appurtenances and raise a family. Baller is an overstatement unless he's 23.

It's really not that much and goes very quickly, even in other areas.

Stanford, I am disappointed.

Your username fits you perfectly.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Voluptatibus est fugit necessitatibus dicta amet praesentium. Est et saepe minus id ipsa saepe blanditiis hic. A rerum possimus soluta molestias dolore assumenda atque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”