Switching Locations after Accepting Offer

plshelpmethx's picture
Rank: Chimp | 12

I accepted an offer at a non-NYC office at a BB a few months ago for FT and now am starting to regret my decision. If I talk to HR, do you think there is a chance they could/would let me switch to NYC (either in the same group or a different group)? I was thinking that throughout the course of a few months, there might be people who renege and spots could open that they would give up on filling...

Comments (9)

Nov 10, 2018

bump

Nov 12, 2018

bump, pls help me

Nov 12, 2018

Are you in IB? If yes, changing office is common, however, you should wait at least 6-12 months.

Nov 12, 2018

Yes IB. So you don't think it's possible before hitting training and hitting the desk?

Nov 12, 2018

How was your process (ie. who did you interview with, where was your final round)? Also, is your offer in SF or a secondary market?

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Nov 12, 2018

I'm not sure what you mean by secondary market...
Re: process, I took my summer return offer but interviewed at that non-NYC office for the SA position (I'm pretty sure that's how it works with all regional offices for all banks)

Nov 13, 2018

It would look bad, if before you even start your job you go to your boss/HR and say "I wanna change office", people are gonna get pissed off

Nov 12, 2018

I wouldn't do this - maybe 6-12 months in as someone else said.

If you have some extenuating reason to be in NYC (sick family member or something) maybe, but otherwise it just comes off as wishy washy, and you'd be blowing off the group that hired you which is not the best move as a first year

Nov 12, 2018
Comment