Wells Fargo 2021 Rep

Hi guys,

I have a 2022 SA offer from WF IBD and wanted to hear people's genuine thoughts about their reputation. I know Wells gets shit-talked constantly on this site (mostly by prospects), so I'm trying to gauge what their actual rep is. Mainly, from the perspective of trying to lateral after an SA stint or even attempting to accelerate interviews during the SA recruiting cycle. Would I get laughed out of the room for even attempting to leverage Wells Fargo for better firms (i.e. BB's like CS, Barclays, Citi, or UBS)? Thanks in advance for the non-obnoxious comments.

it’s not called ‘lateral’ if you aim for CS/Barclays/DB/UBS, only if it’s GS/MS

If you have a close contact at one of those banks (someone who clearly stated they would push for you), then it doesn't hurt to reach out and mention you have an offer. Worse case, they say no. During my recruitment, everyone I spoke with at wells was very personable and helpful. Great people there. It's just an internship, and most importantly, you broke in. Congrats!

Most Helpful

From an outsider perspective (at a MM) I think they’re getting better. Seem to be placing more emphasis on leveraging the BS to win mandates and gain earlier connectivity. In my space at least, I’ve seen them in the active bookrunner spot or at worst passive (no co-managed equity). M&A doing more of too. Obviously huge debt practice already. Still not GS/MS/JPM but trying to push into that Citi/Barclays/CS grouping. Breaking out IB in their financials recently shows they’re putting emphasis on it and willing to be judged by that performance. Newish CEO is a former JPM guy so probably using them as a model to build after. Definitely some better places but also a lot of worse places to be. Pay BB comp too is my understanding. 

Depends on what metrics you’re judging on. I’m bearish the European banks a bit just given they seem to flip flop on the US IB business a lot so take what I say with a grain of salt.  That said, I think Wells is set up better long term for a career in banking. Even with the new focus, they seem to be looking to grow sustainably (I.e., not hire a ton and maybe have to fire). Post asset cap removal, they should be able to grow faster too.

From a pure exit opps standpoint, UBS/DB may be better positioned right now as it seems to take a while for rep to catch up. 3 years from now though that may change if Wells can continue on their growth trajectory. I’m probably more bearish on DB than UBS as I think they are still probably bleeding people. 

yup i applied, however, i never recieved any updates/surveys, so you think i still have a chance?

Like others have said before, it’s not too bad of a place to be in, but there are many better options. Coverage teams spend so much time pitching and most MDs (with few exceptions) are pretty much out of the loop. Majority of the fees come from random non-left debt deals, with random MM M&A deals here and there.

My two cents: you can get a much better experience with roughly similar hours elsewhere, but if no other options then you can always lateral after a year. Just look at their first year NY Industrials class, basically everyone took off with pretty great lateral placements.

Pariatur rerum consequatur et vitae. Delectus distinctio corrupti non repudiandae doloremque. Ab tempora et rerum vel et.

Odit sed quibusdam at et. A ut autem perferendis excepturi aliquam eius harum. Aut corporis molestiae consequatur et. Qui ea eos cupiditate consequatur et eos. Facere ipsa dolores blanditiis.

Corrupti deserunt sunt et vel ex quia repellendus expedita. Voluptate eligendi similique vel. Vero neque sit et eveniet animi est ad.

Repellendus et at facilis consequatur necessitatibus est velit nesciunt. Repellat fuga quia ut et architecto consequatur eveniet. Laborum assumenda minima debitis atque sequi voluptatibus est.

Assumenda voluptas porro sed et id et quia maiores. Voluptas exercitationem et magni deserunt. Vitae error impedit officiis soluta et. Ipsum culpa assumenda est quidem inventore vero. Quo ut tenetur consequuntur iusto et velit corporis laudantium. Consequatur aut fugiat hic ullam qui enim. Autem doloribus aspernatur non explicabo quia distinctio.

Reiciendis nostrum qui porro perferendis consequatur quisquam. Non vero est similique sint omnis error illo. Fuga est nemo quia impedit vel. In unde quis delectus ducimus in aut officiis. Et minus ullam cumque et. Vero omnis dicta sint rerum nobis occaecati. Illo voluptates odio animi iure quia quia excepturi accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”