What are you surprised is still around in the year 2018?

dc22's picture

Earlier this month, I asked what you guys thought would be obsolete ten years from now

It got a shit ton of responses so going off of that, what do you are you surprised is still relevant today?

I'll start it off - I'm surprised that there are still people in the workforce that are completely clueless around computers.

Private Equity Interview Course

• 2,447 questions across 203 private equity funds. Crowdsourced from over 500,000 mem.
  • 9 Detailed LBO Modeling Tests and 15+ hours of video solutions.
  • Trusted by over 1,000 aspiring private equity professionals just like you.

Comments (71)

Oct 7, 2018

Landlines

Oct 7, 2018

Ever call a business?

heister:

Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad.

Oct 7, 2018

Most businesses use VOIP.

Oct 7, 2018

Oh I don't know about all that. My understanding of landlines is corded handpieces sitting on your desk. Does the tech behind it matter? It's not a cell phone.

heister:

Oct 7, 2018

I meant analog landlines sorry haha. Handsets make sense.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Oct 7, 2018

Fax machines.

Now, I know that they are still around because of safety. You can "hack" landlines only by listening to them directly - i.e putting some recording device in serial with said line, or maybe some sort of scanning device around (same principle that certain current clamps work).

It's not to say that fax machines are unhackable, for from it, but there are less openings for attacks. And almost every one of them involves attacking the hardware (machines, cables, routers, etc.) - which would be a pain in the ass, compared to accessing e-mail databases, phishing credentials, spoofing, and what not.

But they're still such a pain, due to their physical nature.

• HFT
  •  Oct 7, 2018

Poverty and forced labour.

Oct 7, 2018

are you really?

heister:

Oct 7, 2018

Paper checks. More generally, days-long processing times for payments.

Oct 7, 2018
dc22:

I'll start it off - I'm surprised that there are still people in the workforce that are completely clueless around computers.

I think this will perpetually occur. People will have the work/management experience, but not always the technical skills. In the future, people will definitely know how to work cell phones/texts/Excel, but might not know the hot app or how to code.

Oct 7, 2018

Anti Semitism

Oct 8, 2018

Off topic thread has turned into askreddit

RIP LEHMAN
RIP MONACOMONKEY
RIP THEACCOUNTING MAJOR

Oct 8, 2018

Cash only stores

Most Helpful
Oct 8, 2018

So long as taxes exist, cash only stores will exist too

Oct 11, 2018

You mean until the government eventually takes cash out of circulation and bans it because they hate not being able to track it.

Oct 11, 2018

this is an interesting issue and India is turning into a good case study. from what I've heard/read, countries like italy with an emphasis on cash and lots of money in the underground economy, the complexity of their tax system leads to lower compliance which leads to people continuing to operate outside of the systems in place, which incentivizes the gov't to keep rates high so the revenue they do collect stays at roughly the same level.

part of me wonders if the system was simpler, if taxes weren't so complicated and high, maybe compliance would increase and you could have the goldilocks scenario of higher revenue but lower marginal rates

I seem to remember @Real Marcus Halberstram" is Italian, what do you think? am I totally off the reservation?

Oct 11, 2018

Thanks for reaching out, I'm more than happy to share my thoughts about this interesting topic.

I would say that you got it right, with a total tax burden >67% Italy has a lot of shadow economy, hence incentives to either don't pay tax or use cash.
This hijacked Italy under a police state: today every penny you deposit in your bank account is under control by the government.. also, you have cash limits on EU3k

If you're willing to pay something by cash you're going to receive a discount

Oct 9, 2018

Huge pet peeve, especially when they don't have an ATM.

Oct 11, 2018

Cash only restaurants too

Oct 11, 2018

true story, I was at a Tea shop and they said they do not accept cash. Was dumbfounded.

Learn More

Side-by-side comparison of top modeling training courses + exclusive discount through WSO here.

Oct 8, 2018

vinyl records, actually making a comeback.

Oct 11, 2018

They sound entirely different to digital files. The existence of CDs which sound the same or worse than digital files baffles me, but for many audiophiles, LPs offer a completely unique listening experience so they're well worth the added hassle.

Oct 8, 2018

Microsoft Excel

Oct 29, 2018
Esuric:

Microsoft Excel

I hear this all the time but don't see a tool that can do everything as conveniently

Oct 29, 2018

Yeah that's the point. Excel is okay until you start dealing with big data. Also, the next iteration will have some major improvements (like string commands). I just don't get why an Apple or another company hasn't even attempted to introduce a competitor.

Funniest
Oct 8, 2018

Queen Elizabeth II

Oct 9, 2018

on a con call, nearly lost it

Oct 12, 2018

She'll be there until 2100, to say the least

Oct 8, 2018

Bitcoin

Oct 29, 2018
Whyphy:

Bitcoin

AGREED I thought this would die in 2014

Oct 8, 2018

Crackwhore

Oct 8, 2018

HILLARY CLINTON

Oct 9, 2018

theaccountingmajor oh wait...

Oct 9, 2018
  1. fans of elon musk
  2. iPhone 4's
  3. antifa
  4. mitch mcconnell
  5. Yanis Varoufakis's influence
  6. tai lopez
  7. hipster beards
  8. dabbing
  9. pot being illegal
  10. PBR
  11. southern baptists
  12. people with stickers on their cars
  13. twitter
  14. windows phone operating system
  15. voicemail
  16. full service gas stations
  17. cigarettes
  18. tom steyer
  19. warren buffett
  20. me on this forum
Oct 9, 2018

Damn full service gas stations nailed it.

Oct 11, 2018

My wife is from a town in New York where it is required by law to have an attendant pump gas for you. Always such a shocker whenever we visit.

Oct 11, 2018

oh I'm well aware of the laws, I've driven through those towns. classic example of the gov't artificially keeping certain jobs afloat when the free market would normally get rid of them

Oct 11, 2018

Is your wife's town in NY, the state of NJ?

Oct 11, 2018

Why voicemail?

Oct 11, 2018

most phones do VOIP now so I'm just surprised we don't have the tech to transcribe messages into an email, that's all

Oct 11, 2018
  1. How did Elon hurt you? love that man simply due to the roadsters he makes (huge car guy) and his brash personality is a nice change up. His arrogance is a little much lately, but its entertaining and I do not invest in Tesla
  2. PBR is great. Get out of here.
  3. Agree there
  4. You can usually tell the political affiliation of someone based on the number of bumper stickers they have.
  5. Aren't you like 90?
Oct 11, 2018
  1. my dislike for elon is well documented here, I won't rehash it too much. I'm surprised he's around simply because he's swindled his investors. I would've thought the issues would've surfaced earlier and he'd have gone the way of that elizabeth girl from the blood test company, but I'm just saying I'm surprised.
  2. agree to disagree, I like my beer to taste different from the can it comes in
  3. I'm assuming you're talking about warren buffett and not me, I'm just surprised the guy is still alive, he eats like shit and drinks a million cokes a day. if you're alluding to my age, then yes I'm probably in the upper decile of ages at WSO, but by no means am I old.
Oct 11, 2018
  1. just love his personality due to the uniqueness and one of his cars, that is it
  2. Sarcasm - I can't stand PBR and don't drink cheap beer in general anymore except for Mich Ultra cause you know #beerforathletes
  3. Poking fun at ya
Oct 11, 2018

if only we liked the same football team, we're kindred spirits

Oct 29, 2018
thebrofessor:

1. my dislike for elon is well documented here, I won't rehash it too much. I'm surprised he's around simply because he's swindled his investors. I would've thought the issues would've surfaced earlier and he'd have gone the way of that elizabeth girl from the blood test company, but I'm just saying I'm surprised.

I don't love or hate the guy, so I'm curious what info is out there that's as damning as literally publishing fake lab reports. I haven't really cared enough to research him. As far as I can tell, he's a media whore but actually has brought useful stuff to market including a car that works really well and is (slowly but is) approaching production levels that will make the company sustainable. Where's the criminal conspiracy?

Oct 29, 2018

no conspiracy, but I do believe the "funding secured" and series of broken promises could potentially make a case for fraud, with the obvious caveat I'm not a securities attorney. if he keeps up what happened in q3, I'm the doofus, but we'll have to wait & see.

Oct 29, 2018
thebrofessor:

no conspiracy, but I do believe the "funding secured" and series of broken promises could potentially make a case for fraud, with the obvious caveat I'm not a securities attorney. if he keeps up what happened in q3, I'm the doofus, but we'll have to wait & see.

So aside from that, what else is the problem? If you back out, the twitter thing is a very minor incident compared to a huge swath of industry crimes, plus its settled. As for defrauding investors...who are the victims? Anyone who put money in is doing great, and I don't know if you've taken one of those cars for a spin but they're fantastic. Despite the hysteria, production is ramping up and they do look like they're going to take in a huge pile of cash at some point. Musk has a substantial amount of his own money tied up in Tesla, so there's no merit that he wants to tank the company. The "real truth" isn't some silly conspiracy, it's literally the official story: dude bought electric cars to market and is making his shareholders money. Everyone will get over him inhaling weed one time lol, hell now that it's being legalized more and more anyone bitching about it looks ridiculous, all "demon whiskey is the downfall of America" comically out of touch.

I don't even like musk that much because he gets publicity by name dropping every trendy technology, which annoys the hell out of me. But hate the guy? Think he's a crook? Maybe because he's made himself so visible he's a lightning rod for criticism?

I don't see it

Oct 31, 2018

my thoughts on Musk/Tesla are all over the forums, won't regurgitate here. I take issue with misleading investors. you're entitled to your opinion, so we'll just have to agree to disagree

Nov 1, 2018
thebrofessor:

my thoughts on Musk/Tesla are all over the forums, won't regurgitate here. I take issue with misleading investors. you're entitled to your opinion, so we'll just have to agree to disagree

Fair enough. I see the dude paid a fine and lost his chair, kind of like after a bank pays a find for an infraction they're back online. If not....what was the point of the punishment?

Oct 9, 2018

Tesla

Dayman?

Oct 9, 2018
dc22:

What Are You Surprised Is Still Around In The Year 2018?

Those no smoking signs in the airplanes.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Oct 11, 2018

Yeah you're right, they should say "no vaping."

Oct 11, 2018

Western Canada Select - RIP never forget

Oct 11, 2018

BlackBerry

Oct 29, 2018
Jack Soloff:

BlackBerry

In a way you could look at this in the opposite too. Meaning, it's crazy how we still hang onto things based on status rather than function. All things considered, an iPhone is basically a status symbol now; if someone walked around with a BB phone you would perceive them differently.

Oct 11, 2018

Liberals.

It's 2018 for God's sake.

Oct 29, 2018
neink:

Liberals.

lol as opposed to bible thumping redneck goose stepping conservatives? I'm shocked partisan politics hasn't been eliminated

Oct 29, 2018
UFOinsider:
neink:

Liberals.

lol as opposed to bible thumping redneck goose stepping conservatives? I'm shocked partisan politics hasn't been eliminated

It was a joke based on the rather weak slogan used by Trudeau and co. that it's ''insert current year'' thus why isn't everything a progressive utopia?

Oct 11, 2018

Facebook. I have always figured social media platforms are so cannibalistic that it's amazing they have been able to last as long as they have. I feel a lot of it was driven by the Instagram acquisition which is clearly the company's future. Super specific targeted marketing for businesses also makes the Pixel powerful.

I just figured something else would have been new and better by now.

Oct 11, 2018

I think Facebook sticks around bc it functions as a passport to basically everything else on the internet, that keeps its attrition rate from outpace the number of young kids and emerging markets coming online.

Oct 11, 2018

Agreed. I was frustrated earlier this morning trying to login to my Airbnb host account, but forgot my facebook password so I had the whole runaround. It helps they have become so integrated so they have staying power. Internet passport is a great term.

Oct 11, 2018

I'm surprised the self-checkout lines at CVS, Walgreens etc are still using 1998 technology. Stop telling me to take the item out of the f*@#&ing bagging area.

Oct 11, 2018

it's amazing drug dealers have better measurement equipment than F500 companies

Oct 11, 2018

Dial-up Internet

Keith Richards

Oct 11, 2018

Car dealerships and the way they operate.

Oct 11, 2018

The Simpsons

Oct 29, 2018

Surprised I haven't been banned yet

Oct 29, 2018
Nov 2, 2018
Oct 29, 2018