$100K Salary A Year Lifestyle

or 200k? or 50k?..Im currently a student and im hoping somebody can bridge the gap on what the expectation vs. reality was like once they actually started making that comp they fantasized about in school. was it as good as you expected? Is your current role Bottles and Models or 401k's and Honda Accords?

List out..

Overall Mindset towards money:

What is it like living on a $100,000 salary in New York?

Considering that the average bulge bracket starting salary is $85,000 + Bonus - it is understandable that users want to understand how far $100,000 will get you - especially in big cities. Our users commented below. Please note that the OP and many of the comments were made in 2013 and therefore the tax assumptions may be somewhat out of date.

{quote "Ricqles"]100k after tax is ~ 80k. Rent will take up ~ 20k / year if you are in NYC so you are left with 60K. Monthly entertainment expense of 1k or so on entertainment and another 500 on food (assuming you don't go to fancy restaurants and you stay late for dinners) will get you to 40K. That's the most you will get out of your 100k assuming you are frugal

Let's hope you don't have any student loans or other obligations. I know several 1st year analysts who live on credit cards before their bonus hit. (Posted 5/28/2013)[/quote]

F430 - Sales and Trading Analyst:
Hate to burst your bubble, but if you live in NYC at $100k then you'll be paying around $43K in taxes between federal, state, city, social security, and Medicare. So your take-home per month is around 4750 in a very expensive city. Your paycheck will probably be a little more than that though because of state tax deductions.

Living in California / West Coast on $100 K

freeloader - Private Equity Associate:
I'll chip in the SF/Cali point of view. 100K is definitely not a lot, though enough to be comfortable.

Post-tax income: At 100K, you'll net 67-70K after taxes (you should expect a 30-33% effective tax rate)
Rent: Expect 15-25K, depending on the neighborhood and number of roommates. I would say 18K is median level

So you'll net 49-52K before discretionary expenses, or 4100-4300 in monthly take home. Like I said, enough to live comfortably and certainly much better than someone earning 50K and getting 40K post-taxes.

Additional Reading on Wall Street Oasis

Learn more about salaries in the industry through our various industry reports.

1. Places Where Salaries are High but the Cost of Living is Low
  2. Investment Banking Industry Report
  3. Private Equity Industry Report
  4. Hedge Fund Industry Report

Preparing for Investment Banking Interviews?

The WSO investment banking interview course is designed by countless professionals with real world experience, tailored to people aspiring to break into the industry. This guide will help you learn how to answer these questions and many, many more.

Investment Banking Interview Course Here

100k after tax is ~ 80k. Rent will take up ~ 20k / year if you are in NYC so you are left with 60K. Monthly entertainment expense of 1k or so on entertainment and another 500 on food (assuming you don't go to fancy restaurants and you stay late for dinners) will get you to 40K. That's the most you will get out of your 100k assuming you are frugal

Let's hope you don't have any student loans or other obligations. I know several 1st year analysts who live on credit cards before their bonus hit.

Ricqles:

100k after tax is ~ 80k. Rent will take up ~ 20k / year if you are in NYC so you are left with 60K. Monthly entertainment expense of 1k or so on entertainment and another 500 on food (assuming you don't go to fancy restaurants and you stay late for dinners) will get you to 40K. That's the most you will get out of your 100k assuming you are frugal

Let's hope you don't have any student loans or other obligations. I know several 1st year analysts who live on credit cards before their bonus hit.

40k after all of your expenses sounds pretty nice. thats also assuming $250 a week for entertainment, $125 for food, and above all living in NYC.

If your working 100 hours a week how are you spending $250 a week on entertainment? I get NYC bars are expensive, but do most analyst really spend that much?

Best Response
jss09:
Ricqles:

40k after all of your expenses sounds pretty nice. thats also assuming $250 a week for entertainment, $125 for food, and above all living in NYC.

If your working 100 hours a week how are you spending $250 a week on entertainment? I get NYC bars are expensive, but do most analyst really spend that much?

$250 a week on entertainment is nothing, you can spend that in one night with ease, this is worse if you are trying to get laid, since I have a girlfriend I don't have to worry about that. That's how...

Frank Sinatra - "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy."

Ricqles:

When I just started working, my pay barely covered my expenses. After paying some medical bills, I lived on credit cards for a few months... It was awful and I felt the whole education thing was such a waste.

The Auto Show

$100K isn't a lot man. Seems like it, but it isn't.

@Ric - not to be combative, but I'd imagine way more than $20K in taxes in NYC. Between city, state, and fed I would put taxes at $30-35K.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you live in NYC at $100k then you'll be paying around $43K in taxes between federal, state, city, social security, and medicare. so your takehome per month is around 4750 in a very expensive city. Your paycheck will probably be a little more than that though because of state tax deductions.

F458:

Hate to burst your bubble, but if you live in NYC at $100k then you'll be paying around $43K in taxes between federal, state, city, social security, and medicare. so your takehome per month is around 4750 in a very expensive city. Your paycheck will probably be a little more than that though because of state tax deductions.

Yea hate to say it...but it is somewhat unrealistic to save 40k living in NYC on a 100k salary

floppity:

I live in bumfk nowhere and have to pay between 25% - 30%. I wouldn't be surprised if the user above quoted correctly with 43% tax rate, esp. since I think bonus is taxed a lot heavier.

Agreed. I am not in NYC and my tax rate is higher.

TNA:
floppity:

I live in bumfk nowhere and have to pay between 25% - 30%. I wouldn't be surprised if the user above quoted correctly with 43% tax rate, esp. since I think bonus is taxed a lot heavier.

Agreed. I am not in NYC and my tax rate is higher.

Stop bitching TNA it's your fair share.

My drinkin' problem left today, she packed up all her bags and walked away.

I'll chip in the SF/Cali point of view. 100K is definitely not a lot, though enough to be comfortable.

Post-tax income: At 100K, you'll net 67-70K after taxes (you should expected a 30-33% effective tax rate) Rent: Expect 15-25K, depending on the neighborhood and number of roommates. I would say 18K is median level

So you'll net 49-52K before discretionary expenses, or 4100-4300 in monthly take home. Like I said, enough to live comfortably and certainly much better than someone earning 50K and getting 40K post-taxes.

You guys also need to take into account pre-tax deductions such as medical/dental/401k/etc. At roughly 80k in NJ (right outside of NYC in Hoboken/Jersey city) i'm looking at roughly a take home of $4500 a month (54k a year) after all those things. Then rent is 12k-18k a year if you live with a roommate. As much as 20k a year for an OK 1bdrm. I just decided to grab a roommate so I have about a 16k rent a year which brings me to 38k. Utilities are another 1200 a year, REQUIRED transportation (not including like cabs when drunk) about 1800 a year, food/vitamins/drinks/protein/etc (not including like luxury nice dinners with the GF or alcohol) generally becomes ~500 a month cost or 6000 a year. Phone is 1200 a year. This brings me to $27,800. I have a car so parking is roughly 2400 a year. Then I probably spend roughly an extra 600-1000 a month on bar tabs, drunken cab rides, occasional nice dinner with the GF, entertainment like movies/netflix/video games/sporting tickets/etc. Then the gym is roughly 1200 a year. This brings me to a total of around 14k I could save. Then things come up like car maintenance, doctors bills, prescriptions, work clothes, furniture, etc and other incidentals which surely comes a few thousand a year. Then maybe 1500-2000 for a vacation.

You are ending up at around 7-9k saving on 80k in a relatively medium COL area but with extra payments because of going into NYC to hang with friends if you want to have a comfortable, fun, but no way extravagant lifestyle.

tiger2012:

500 a month of basic food stuffs? My company pays for my lunch and dinner everyday, 7 days a week. That said you are expected to be in the office for these meals.

Just remember the harder you work, the less free time you have to spend $$$ = more savings.

400 for food and 100 for protein/supplements. That seems pretty normal for an active guy.

AllDay_028:
tiger2012:

500 a month of basic food stuffs? My company pays for my lunch and dinner everyday, 7 days a week. That said you are expected to be in the office for these meals.
Just remember the harder you work, the less free time you have to spend $$$ = more savings.

400 for food and 100 for protein/supplements. That seems pretty normal for an active guy.

500 a month for just weekends and nights? Sounds reasonable. But a few outings can make that go by pretty fast.

You can earn under 100k and live in NYC. One must remember that we have banker mentalities. Not saying you will like living in the ghetto but it can be done. I'll stick to the Lower East Side.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

heister:

You can earn under 100k and live in NYC. One must remember that we have banker mentalities. Not saying you will like living in the ghetto but it can be done. I'll stick to the Lower East Side.

The problem isn't that people have banker mentalities. It's that $100k/year is not a lot of money if you want to live like a grown-up in Manhattan or a nice part of Brooklyn. Having your own non-shithole place on a $100k/year salary means you can't spend much money on anything else (good luck saving or investing anything).

Living with roommates in a shitty East Village walk-up is fine when you're 24, but it gets old pretty quickly. That same money in another city will get you a brand new condo in a hip part of town and a BMW in your garage.

holla_back:
heister:

The problem isn't that people have banker mentalities. It's that $100k/year is not a lot of money if you want to live like a grown-up in Manhattan or a nice part of Brooklyn. Having your own non-shithole place on a $100k/year salary means you can't spend much money on anything else (good luck saving or investing anything).

Living with roommates in a shitty East Village walk-up is fine when you're 24, but it gets old pretty quickly. That same money in another city will get you a brand new condo in a hip part of town and a BMW in your garage.

What can possibly get old about 21 year old girls?

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

To add a bit of a different perspective, an IB analyst in Zurich gets around 100k base. Becomes ~85k take home after tax and social security. Rent is high, maybe 15-20k pa depending on where you live, then food is the next major expense since everything is so damn expensive, make it 10k at least. Health insurance is compulsory, starts at about 5k pa, and utilities are a lot too. But that leaves ~60k to do whatever the fuck you want. That's BEFORE bonus. Granted, not easy to get a job here if you're a foreigner, and not a whole lot of activity outside private banking and HF. But yeh, 100k feels pretty good man..

diverse_kanga:

To add a bit of a different perspective, an IB analyst in Zurich gets around 100k base. Becomes ~85k take home after tax and social security. Rent is high, maybe 15-20k pa depending on where you live, then food is the next major expense since everything is so damn expensive, make it 10k at least. Health insurance is compulsory, starts at about 5k pa, and utilities are a lot too. But that leaves ~60k to do whatever the fuck you want. That's BEFORE bonus. Granted, not easy to get a job here if you're a foreigner, and not a whole lot of activity outside private banking and HF. But yeh, 100k feels pretty good man..

Wait, what? Your tax rate in Zurich is ~15%? The internet is telling me it's closer to ~40%.

Totam mollitia alias numquam earum. Nobis excepturi laudantium a sint placeat. Beatae dolore atque ea expedita.

Consequatur rerum nihil consequatur vero debitis quia est voluptatem. Voluptatum expedita nam eius excepturi. Perspiciatis non ea vero adipisci laudantium et. Veniam esse nihil asperiores at nihil aut illo.

Mollitia omnis id est nam et nihil laudantium. Debitis soluta sint quia eum voluptas provident aut esse.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”