Which league does Duff and Phelps exactly falls under in 2017?

The firm has progressed a lot in terms of revenue and geographical expansion. But it still doesn't enjoy an image of a proper wall street investment bank. I know they are focused mostly on valuation but how about M&A and Restructuring. Can anyone please tell how are D&P analysts being perceived by college grads in US, the PE employers, and other banks? Are they still considered a firm similar to Big 4 or have they earned IB BOUTIQUE, MM level status?

D&P isn't seen as a legit MM bank by any stretch. They are a valuation shop doing financial reporting work (they are the largest indep. val shop and do really well in this vertical). D&P is certainly trying to build up IB as it's a great revenue generator but it'll take many more years of poaching senior MD's to put it in the even in same range as guys like Stifel, Mizuho, etc (I realize these guys aren't MM Boutiques but their M&A practices aren't that strong).

I've known people who have done val and gone to Tuck and a few other Top MBA programs.

As for PE, you will be very hard pressed to find people who have made it into legit PE funds on the deal team. People can get into internal valuation roles at mega funds but in val, you aren't seeing the whole transaction. You're just brought on to do post-closing financial reporting work which does have transferable skills to banking / PE. I know numerous people (including myself) who have jumped from val to MM IB.

D&P is generally considered to be lower tier on the val side. Top val MDs have left for other shops (Big 4, Houlihan and Alvarez). The culture, from what I understand, is incredibly toxic.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

You would be surprised. A lot of the smaller shops specialize in niche work. Also, the Big 4 valuation shops are pretty different. My experience at Deloitte was very different from my experience at KPMG. EY works on shit that I've never seen.

Also, my post wasn't about Big 4 as much as it was about D&P going to the shitter.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

Vel perferendis iure maiores voluptatibus. Nobis distinctio nihil aut optio nostrum optio. Similique vel nihil minus voluptatum. Numquam eos sed enim tempore laudantium nisi et. Quo est facere laborum et.

Qui doloribus vitae voluptate aut ullam cum eaque exercitationem. Sunt voluptas rerum facilis ipsum vitae. Dolorem nisi voluptas aut nisi eum voluptas consectetur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”