WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (1/30-2/5)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

Congratulations to the 2015 WSO Forum Member of the Year: DingDong08
Post By @Dingdong08"

Mod Note (Andy): I am posting this post under DingDong08's account so that he can reap all the silver banana love :-) Winning by an astounding margin (33% of the votes vs 14% ), congratulations to WSO super user @Dingdong08" for winning the 2015 WSO Member of the Year vote.

Big4 M&A - An Explanation
Post By @Asatar"

Over the years, I have seen several posts on people considering jobs in Big4 corporate finance / M&A / TS departments, or people making statements about these jobs which have some pretty large inaccuracies. I am going to try and clear up any confusion over the topics here.

I went> B4 Audit> B4 CF > IB: Ask me anything
Post By @williamthesnake"

I work in London and I made that much sought after career jump which started in Big4 audit and ended up in IB (Debt Capital Markets) at a boutique, with a stopover at Big4 CF in between. If you have any questions, I am very happy to answer them.

BB vs EB at MBA/Associate Level
Post By @TechBanking2016"

From what I have seen, most people here vote for EB at the analyst level because of the exit opportunity and exposure to modeling. However, I have heard very different opinions as an incoming summer associate.

Wharton MBA bound: things I wish I'd known during the app process
Post By @onlythestrongsurvive"

I did consulting at a boutique for several years and was dinged with no interviews at HBS. While I interviewed at Stanford and Wharton, I ultimately got dinged at Stanford as well. I am bound for Wharton this fall and thinking back to this time last year when I was preparing for the GMAT, thinking about essay topics to write and recommendation writers to seek help from, I have decided to come up with this post. Some of these tips may be obvious but here's my $0.02.

Guide: Cold Contacting Investment Bankers For Non Targets
Post By @Big_Red"

I am a data room sales representative with an extensive background in cold contacting (email/phone) investment bankers internationally. If you are working on M&A teams in North America, there is a good chance that I have called you. I managed to create a pretty big network from primarily cold contacting, so I am here to offer basic sales tips and insights on methods that may work for you.

Has Herbalife won in the fight versus Bill Ackman?
Post By @Nick Naylor"

Personally, I am not a big supporter of MLM companies, especially the ones (or all of them) which peddle crappy products. Selling garbage goods is not worthy of legal recourse, so is this going to go down as a big red mark on Ackman's record? Otherwise, will those supporters of Herbalife-- which include the likes of Soros and Icahn-- be wishing they jumped the fence before it all goes belly up?

5 Things you should never stop doing
Post By @Angelz629"

I have been working at a F500 company since my college graduation (8 years ago), and just recently, I decided that it was time to look outside to see what else is out there and also to see how much someone with my years of experience and skills is worth. As I was researching jobs, applying for new roles and interviewing, I learned several things that I wish I had known.

Impact Investing 101: Trainings I wish I had known about in Business School
Post By @LBS Bloggers"

I went to London Business School primarily to transition from working for the Clinton Foundation to a job in impact investing. During my first year at LBS, I did not find the companies or business models in school assignments, WSP and a school-wide PE competition particularly interesting. That changed when I evaluated impact investments during my summer internship. While reviewing the financial projections for a network of private schools in South Africa and interviewing impact fund managers in Southeast Asia, I began to understand how the concepts I studied could create social impact.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”