Pages

• Sharebar

Discuss

The WSO Advantage - Investment Banking

Financial Modeling Training

IB Templates, M&A, LBO, Valuation + Learn More.

IB Interview Prep Pack

30,000+ sold & REAL questions Learn More.

Resume Help from Actual IB Pros

Land More IB Interviews. Learn More.

Find Your Perfect IB Mentor

Realistic IB Mock Interviews. Learn More.

Comments (244)

• manbearpig's picture

(e^(i*pi))/(-0.5)

-MBP

• YourWorstEnemy's picture

288 but my conversion process formulated from a vector application has it at 3.50
    Amidoingitrite? U tell me. Umadbrah?

• In reply to YourWorstEnemy
    FutureGekko's picture

YourWorstEnemy:
    288 but my conversion process formulated from a vector application has it at 3.50
    Amidoingitrite? U tell me. Umadbrah?

in.

• pivot1990's picture
  • 2x2Matrix's picture

This isn't funny or interesting. Why is it here?

One of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

• In reply to manbearpig
    2x2Matrix's picture

manbearpig:
    (e^(i*pi))/(-0.5)

That's a pretty clever formulation, though, I like it.

One of those lights, slightly brighter than the rest, will be my wingtip passing over.

• In reply to 2x2Matrix
    YourWorstEnemy's picture

2x2Matrix:
    This isn't funny or interesting. Why is it here?

To see if you so called "wall street geniuses" have the brain power to solve a simple mathematics equation.

• Schwanzus Longus's picture

Who the fuck uses the fucking "÷" symbol when writing terms?

• bfin's picture

Bodybuiding forum no wonder....actually didn't realize riods affected brain power...

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee

WSO is not your personal search function.

• In reply to Barcadia
    West Coast rainmaker's picture

Barcadia:
    I saw this on Bodybuilding.com this morning...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133...

The mods closed it at page 84... a poll showed that 1500 (the slim majority) thought the answer is 2.

What is going on in our schools? I think about the "Jaywalker" segment on Leno, but I dismiss those people as random idiots. But to actually get a majority out of a 3000+ sample size...words fail me.

I mean, yeah, those are bodybuilding forums, but I wouldn't expect anything that bad. Is this how all those ridiculous supplements are sold?

• leveRAGE.'s picture

the answer is 288, though for some reason people are initially confused by how it is written and think the 2 is part of the brackets. coincidentally, i guarantee nobody would get it wrong if it was written like this:

48÷2*(9+3)

• whateverittakes's picture

Silly hoes need to brush up on order of operations.

The WSO Advantage - Investment Banking

Financial Modeling Training

IB Templates, M&A, LBO, Valuation + Learn More.

IB Interview Prep Pack

30,000+ sold & REAL questions Learn More.

Resume Help from Actual IB Pros

Land More IB Interviews. Learn More.

Find Your Perfect IB Mentor

Realistic IB Mock Interviews. Learn More.

• boutiquebank4life's picture

no one writes divide sign like that, why not do

48/2*12 = 288

or you mean 48/ (2*12) = 2

• Bi-Winning's picture

^Yeah, it's 2.

I win here, I win there...

• bfin's picture

I hope both of you are joking...

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee

• FutureBanker09's picture

PEMDAS it's 2

• Will Hunting's picture

LOL AT ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING 288. how the fuck do yo not know simeple order of operations. its clearly 2...

"Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill you. That's not a threat, that's a fact.

• In reply to Will Hunting
    absinthe's picture

Will Hunting:
    LOL AT ALL THE PEOPLE SAYING 288. how the fuck do yo not know simeple order of operations. its clearly 2...

Please change your name. You are retarded.

Everyone who is a dumbass just got monkey shit thrown at them.

• In reply to FutureBanker09
    bfin's picture

FutureBanker09:
    PEMDAS it's 2

ummm.... parentheses exponents multiplication division addition subtraction... with this how did you get 2?

also read my avatar icon.... It talks about your math skills

• sayandarula's picture

Obviously you do the (3+9) first because it's in the parenthesis, giving you:

48÷2(12) which can be rewritten as 48÷2*12

Since ÷ and * are the same in order of operations, you go from left to right so 48÷2*12 = 24*12 = 288.

Money Never Sleeps? More like Money Never SUCKS amirite?!?!?!?

• EuroStriker's picture

hahahahahah its 288....

PEMDAS isnt set in stone; multiplication doesn't always come before division, it depends on the order found in the problem

• dmackorth's picture

It is 2.

The way it is written is confusing, if it were written appropriately it would look like this:

--------- = 2
    2(9+3)

• future-ib's picture

Some of you guys might actually be retarded you realize that 2 *12 is a quantity you cant divide the two then multiply by 12.

• sayandarula's picture

For all of you arguing 2 instead of 288 because of PEMDAS, keep in mind that PEMDAS implies that you perform the operations WITHIN the parenthesis before anything else. When you have something like 2(12) on the other hand, it is the equivalent of 2*12 and does not take priority over divisions or other multiplications.

• future-ib's picture

When you have 2*12 that is a quantity you divide that entire thing into 48. Look 48/24 is the same thing as 48/12*2

• future-ib's picture

black financier you might want to look at your own icon

• djr's picture

I think the people who are writing 2 are just kidding around. I don't think anybody here really believes its 2.

• In reply to future-ib
    sayandarula's picture

future-ib:
    When you have 2*12 that is a quantity you divide that entire thing into 48. Look 48/24 is the same thing as 48/12*2

48/24 = 48/(12*2) but NOT (48/12)*2.

• Solidarity's picture

seriously?

48÷2(9+3) is an equivalent formulation to 48÷2x...

HINT: the answer is not 24x

shit like this makes me wish I were a trader...

• In reply to absinthe
    Kanon's picture

absinthe:
    Will Hunting:

lol - owned.

• In reply to future-ib
    bfin's picture

future-ib:
    black financier you might want to look at your own icon

You think the answer is 2 you are an idiot and your math is turrible. 288. learn basic 3rd grade math. well maybe 4th.
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48÷2(9%2B3)&t=macw01

• In reply to dmackorth
    bfin's picture

dmackorth:
    It is 2.

The way it is written is confusing, if it were written appropriately it would look like this:

--------- = 2
    2(9+3)

Lmao you can't just change the way its written because you don't agree with it.

• sayandarula's picture

From a children's math website: http://www.mathgoodies.com/lessons/vol7/order_oper...

Rule 1: First perform any calculations **INSIDE** parentheses.
    Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
    Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.

Solidarity, you bring up a good point, but I'm sticking to my guns here. While 48÷2x is not 24x, 48÷2(x) is a little more ambiguous since you could argue that it is the equivalent of 48÷2*x.

• In reply to Solidarity
    absinthe's picture

Solidarity:
    seriously?

You're not a trader for a reason.

• Al Czerviks's picture

The answer is 288. The order of operation reads right to left for MD and AS - one does not have priority over the other.

• In reply to Solidarity
    bfin's picture

Solidarity:
    seriously?

48/2(9+3) not 48/(2(9+3))

• sayandarula's picture

I love the controversy this is igniting. Great post OP.

• Kanon's picture

^ Haha, yeah seriously...

This really shouldn't need to be typed out and explained, but it seems some people here need to be schooled.

PEMDAS or BEDMAS where division and multiplication share the same order (whichever comes first) and similarly addition and subtraction share the same order (last) pending on whichever comes first in the equation.

48÷2(9+3)

Step 1: (9+3) = 12 (bracket)
    Step 2: 48÷2 = 24 Division comes before multiplication because it's shown earlier in the equation
    Step 3: 24(12) = 288

Seriously, why the hell are we discussing grade school math here?

• Cookies With Milken's picture

Order of operations. "Pemdas" my nukka.

And I'm not even back office, im acct - im not even IN the office........ throwback question to alg 2 & trig soph year of hs.

• LIBOR's picture

Its 288. Order of ops. Honestly this is just poorly written.

Confusion breeds contempt. Evidenced by this thread.

• manbearpig's picture

lmfao. holy shit. can we all just agree that the question is written idiotically? no one would ever write it that way in the first place.

-MBP

• In reply to Kanon
    whateverittakes's picture

Kanon:
    absinthe:
    Will Hunting:

lol - owned.

Please change your name to Chuckie Sullivan. It's more fitting.

I'm going to use this as an interview question. When an engineer gets it wrong, I'm going to laugh his ass out the door.

• jsmort11's picture

Agree with the people saying this is written ambiguously. If you are going to put the divide symbol between the 48 and the 2 you should toput the multiplcation symbol between the 2 and the (

• bfin's picture

Just so those of you who think its 2 don't feel dumb its being argued all over the internet right now.... comical.

Pages