Does consulting really give the toughest interviews?
The Street’s Seth Fiegerman had an interesting article today about companies and their tough interview questions. Using Glassdoor’s employee reviews, he ranked the top ten toughest and I have to say, I found the results rather surprising.
Seeing the countless brainteaser and "make a market on" questions asked here has made me assume that Prop Shops and Exotic desks would take the cake in that regard but only one Prop firm made the list and not even a single bank made the top ten. What did make it though are four consulting firms, with McKinsey & Co. snatching the #1 spot.
Consultants, were your interviews really that grueling? I always knew they were tough but I really didn't expect them to beat Jane Street and their Rain Man-esque math questions. Then again, brainteasers aren’t necessarily harder than case studies so there you go.
Also surprised that IB is a no-show, outside of fit questions banking interviews aren't exactly babytown frolics so there's got to be something missing here.
Anyway, here’s the list for you to peruse, thrash, oppose, or throw nanners at.
Enjoy your weekend WSO.
10. BP difficulty rating: 3.5
9. Red ventures difficulty rating: 3.5
8. A.T. Kearney difficulty rating: 3.5
7. Teach for America difficulty rating: 3.5
6. Palantir Technologies difficulty rating: 3.5
5. Boston Consulting Group difficulty rating: 3.6
4. Bain & Co. difficulty rating: 3.6
3. Cree difficulty rating: 3.7
2. Jane Street Capital difficulty rating: 3.7
1. McKinsey & Co. difficulty rating: 3.9