Consequences of reneging offer (mid-level Analyst)?

Hey guys, I have 5-8yrs of exp in buy-side LO. Got an offer just today for a firm which is a solid firm. Going thru another interview process which is slower at a firm I really want in a location I prefer as well.

I have 1 week to respond to this firm if I want to go there (Analyst role). However, I want to continue the process at this other firm and if I get the offer take that. Though the risk is a bird in hand is worth 2 in a bush, which is why I'm not trying to deny this first firm outright today.

What is the risk of reneging? If I set my start date to be mid-June or so at the first firm, accept the offer, and then renege late May what are the consequences? Should I avoid telling the 1st firm where I'm going in case I do renege? How would you handle the background checks? My references might need to do this twice (if I renege on the 1st firm and then take the 2nd offer) so is that going to be an issue? Any advice would be appreciated 


Thanks for the response man -- not a huge concern per se with the firm itself, more so that the opportunities are both relatively equal (2nd maybe slightly better brand) when you consider everything but the 2nd opportunity is in a city I want to be in (the 1st is in a city I don't like) Can you please help me move this back to the AM forum? The mods moved it to Job search, but this is specifically a question I want to understand for AM given my situation. Reneging in IB is far more common given how much people jump around vs. in AM so I want to get opinions specific to this vertical of finance. Thanks a bunch


Reneging on an offer, especially after accepting it, can have significant consequences in the finance industry, which is known for its tight-knit professional networks. Here’s what you need to consider based on insights from Wall Street Oasis discussions:

  1. Professional Reputation: Reneging on an offer can severely damage your reputation. People in the industry tend to have long memories and often move between firms. If you renege on an offer, the hiring manager or team members might end up working in another firm you apply to in the future, carrying their negative impression with them.

  2. Blacklisting Potential: Many firms will blacklist candidates who renege on offers. This doesn’t just affect your opportunities with that particular firm but can also influence other firms if they share blacklists or informally communicate about candidate behaviors.

  3. Impact on References: If you renege after accepting an offer, you may need to go through the reference and background check process again with another firm. This can strain your relationship with your references if they feel they are being repeatedly asked to vouch for you under false pretenses.

  4. Ethical Considerations: From an ethical standpoint, reneging on an offer after accepting it is generally frowned upon unless there are extenuating circumstances. It reflects poorly on your professional integrity and can lead to questions about your reliability and trustworthiness.

  5. Handling the Situation: If you decide to accept the first offer while waiting for the second, it’s advisable not to disclose to the first firm that you might still be considering other options. This could create distrust right from the start. Instead, communicate clearly and professionally with all parties involved. If you must renege, do so as respectfully and professionally as possible, providing ample notice.

  6. Strategic Considerations: Consider negotiating for more time with the first firm if possible, explaining that you need to make a well-informed decision. This might give you enough leeway to hear back from the second firm without having to accept and then potentially renege on the first offer.

In summary, while reneging might sometimes seem like the only option to pursue a better opportunity, it’s crucial to weigh the long-term career implications against the immediate benefits. Always aim to handle such situations with the utmost professionalism to minimize potential negative fallout.

Sources: Current IBankers: What would you do if a summer candidate reneged another offer to sign with your firm?, 7 Tips on Reneging, Backing out after accepting an offer, Current IBankers: What would you do if a summer candidate reneged another offer to sign with your firm?, Is Reneging Actually That Bad?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

For sure -- these guys will never hire me again and if they go to different firms it'll be the same story, but otherwise any other major repercussions? I don't think they can find where I'm going unless I tell them right?


Have read some of your previous posts/comments and have a similar level of experience as you in LO equities. Can you share any rough ranges on what level of comp you’re getting offered and by what “type” of firms? Thanks!


Molestiae molestiae vero ipsum repellat exercitationem id nemo eum. Id tempora eos quia adipisci vitae. Asperiores et labore et hic.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

  • Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

June 2024 Investment Banking

  • Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

  • Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

June 2024 Investment Banking

  • Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (151) $101
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”


redever's picture
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
BankonBanking's picture
GameTheory's picture
dosk17's picture
kanon's picture
CompBanker's picture
DrApeman's picture
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”