LO AM Credit Research or LO AM Quantitative Research for SA?
Current junior here. My end goal is toof a mutual fund/potentially a HF, so ideally I would want to skip IB. Pros and Cons for each:
Credit Research at LO AM:
- Solid (at least according to WSO) investing sphere. Not a but there are already so few FI investing SA positions to begin with. Large ($100b+) AUM.
- I've had a background in doing fixed-income pitches in investing competitions and FI investing really interests me a lot. I much prefer fixed income investing towards equity investing.
- Exit ops are apparently strong; solid b-school placement as well as exits into prominent credit shops.
- Lower pay
- No point in staying past 3+ years since no one ever leaves
- Less "prestigious"/well-regarded than QR option.
Quantitative Research at LO AM:
- SA'ed here this past summer, absolutely love the culture and the people. (I was in a different area of the firm)
- Incredible educational opportunities in terms of the internship program (speaking from firsthand experience)
- One of the top names within LO AM (think , Wellington, , etc.).
- Not based in NYC (and I kind of want to be in NYC as a young professional)
- Sense that I'm not smart enough for the job. I bombed all my /research interviews with the market makers ( , , IMC, etc), which really discouraged me and made me question if I'm fit for this type of role and career.
- Would not be FI focused.
- Is it worth doing two summers at the same place? Or is it better to try another firm for a summer and if I really want to come back full time?
Obviously I'd be happy with both opportunities, but considering my career goals, does anyone have any thoughts? Thank you so much!