Ivy League Student - 3.30 GPA with Non-Finance Internships - Career Prospects

Heres the story :

I am currently going into my junior year and I am sitting at a 3.30 GPA (cumulative) and 3.8 (Major). I am doing a Financial Engineering major and Computer Science minor. The reality is, I do not perform well in academic environments which has caused me to drop a lot of activities to compensate but I do extremely well when Im doing applications hence strong work experiences - hard work over natural talent I guess.

Experiences: I am working at a FAANG company this summer on the operations side. I have also had two other operations roles in aerospace and education along with being the head of an engineering group for a race team. Each experience I have been able to get amazing recommendations from superiors and work on projects that stand out. I however do not have very much finance experience besides my major and a summer program. 

What I really hope to do is move into PE in the future by whatever means. I have been looking at IB but to date my only success was a superday at an Elite Boutique which I was rejected. Are there any other divisions such as PWM or GCM that I should checkout or more boutique firms? I feel like I can apply but really discouraged after going through the past 4 months and I know its already late for a lot of firms.

I am now thinking heavily towards consulting as my best shot with late recruitment; however, will my prospects basically be limited like in finance? Would my previous roles in operations be enough to overcome gpa?

Lastly, my least favorite option is switching to SWE. I am pretty good at coding, do it for hours and love it. I will be working across divisions at the company this summer and already have been able to connect with higher up people during my interviews who loved me and I have been keeping up with since -- been getting lunches and they have invite me to evening event with their colleagues. I am sure I could network and wiggle my way into a swe internship for my junior-senior summer at the company if I showed interest and performed well during this current internship. Then I would imagine sticking to the SWE role and moving up the ladder - maybe MBA and then PE at a tech firm. 

Not in a position to advise you but can share that I have seen LinkedIn profiles showing a Big 4 to IB transition. So that's an option you can research further. And the SWE option is good, if you are open to moving away from banking.

interesting. I was in similar position to OP, I found it very hard to break in to HF without financial experience. share more?

Architecto aut provident tenetur commodi quod quis. Expedita ea dolores similique. Dolorum sequi labore atque aut. Perspiciatis ut est ullam non vero qui. Molestias aut laborum voluptatem quibusdam.

Consequatur ducimus laboriosam omnis eveniet blanditiis delectus. Repellendus et non minus vero et praesentium. Nisi eos quia et sed. Dolorum sed at placeat ad voluptatem vel voluptatibus. Quam harum eaque laborum deleniti aliquid recusandae et sequi. Illum et nisi earum ut nihil consequuntur at adipisci. Atque voluptate aut provident quis ipsam iusto reiciendis.

Assumenda possimus qui eveniet vitae. Est laborum aliquam assumenda qui incidunt quisquam labore. Et alias accusantium nemo consectetur esse voluptatibus quae. Ut quia molestiae facilis quo labore aut dolorem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”