Q&A - F500 Senior Analyst CorpDev

Ask me anything

Previous:

Non-target, state school MACC CPA 1 year of audit at national firm 1.5 years of valuation, financial modeling, and QofE (TAS) Passed Level 1 CFA

Current:

F500 CorpDev analyst

Ask me about:

transitioning from audit to consulting to m&a. CPA vs CFA

What to learn:

How to break into PE or VC

WSO Mentors

Do you want a 1 on 1 mentoring session with me? Here's my mentor profile - click here.

WSO Podcast:

Member @Medtechmonkey shares how he broke into an exciting high growth M&A corp dev position at a Fortune 500 company coming from an accounting background at a non-target university. How much he's getting paid now and a key piece of advice to our listeners...

Listen on iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify | All WSO Podcasts

***Free WSO shirt given out to one reviewer for each episode released! Leave Review Here

Hey thanks for doing this since I wanted to do a similar route (switch into TS, and then jump into corp dev):

1. When you made the switch into TS, what was the interview process like (technical, behavioural, case-based). Any recommendations to prepare for the interview (i.e. reading up on, research etc)

2. What kind of mandates were you placed on in TS and what you personally felt was beneficial when you made the switch to corp dev.

3. Most interesting mandate that you've been on in terms of analysis, client industry, issue etc.?

Thanks - appreciate it

1. It was an internal switch (same firm) so it was pretty simple and informal (national firm and no formal structure for department transfers). I internally networked and met with associates, managers, and partners. I first met with associates to figure out the type of work they did and researched more (valuation methodologies, common multiples, how EBITDA is used, etc...). I would take what I researched and loop it into conversation with managers and partners so they could see I knew more than just auditing and the transition would be smoother. You want to show that you're dedicated, knowledgeable, and could make an more of an impact than an external hire or another internal transfer early on. Be proactive and start networking early.

2. I worked a lot on valuation, financial modeling, and QofE. My CorpDev interviews cared more about my modeling experience.

3. Healthcare has always interested me and industrials (manufacturing and distribution).

I passed the CPA before working full time and took Level 1 of the CFA the subsequent summer. My knowledge from the CPA helped a lot for Level 1, but there was still a lot of material to get through that the CPA doesn’t touch. I do feel like having passed Level 1 helped me break away from being labeled as just an accountant.

For those wondering, I am not currently pursuing the CFA Charterholder because it doesn’t line up with my career long term. Instead of studying, I’ve been reading books on business stories, leadership, market research, and networking.

Thanks for doing this, as a recent MACC graduate progressing through the CPA exam, who will be starting in TAS, I'm interested in potentially following a similar career path. A couple questions if I'm not too late to the party:

Could you touch more on how you went about networking your way from TAS to CorpDev? I'm specifically interested in hearing how difficult/ natural was the process was and any other challenges you faced in regards to overcoming the "accountant label", aside from passing CFA level 1.

What was your experience like in TAS in terms of work/ life and how does that compare to your current role.

Thanks again!

Most Helpful

Reiciendis nihil dolorem voluptatem consectetur numquam delectus. Temporibus omnis aut velit et. Amet sit tenetur non unde numquam dicta. Aut pariatur quam qui incidunt.

Enim quod ipsa nulla culpa quaerat laboriosam. Sed sapiente dolorum recusandae et neque fugiat.

Debitis commodi eaque excepturi quod aut consequatur. Nihil iste suscipit inventore magnam dignissimos earum rerum aliquid.

Reprehenderit et quo aut qui quis dignissimos. Et non non quia magni quisquam officiis ut unde. Repellat deleniti dolores dolor. Aspernatur iure odio voluptas doloremque sed. Error veniam quasi amet maiores dolor.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”