OIL CORRELATIONS & GLOBAL SELL OFF 2016??

First post on this forums, I am a finance student.

Regardless, the current global sell off is continueing amid fears in china and lowering oil prices causing speculation.

What I don't understand is, the lowering of oil prices should benefit many of the companies in the s&p 500, especially because travel costs and the lot will be lower come the 1st Q. Also the dollar is strengthening, so this would mean higher purchasing power for companies such as apple, walmart.

Why then is this global sell off continueing, I have an account with my broker with funds x > 10k euros. I have positions in APPL, WMT. I am long in these positions, but they keep falling. I am not having worries because in the long run the stocks will rise. However my question is:

"Why is the stocks continueing to fall for exp APPL, if their outlook should be better (stronger dollar, lower oil prices)" - Why the global sell off and increase in supply for these large bluechip stocks?

I wish I had waited longer to jump in at a lower position (lower P/E) but I have am disappointed.

Can someone explain please.

Best Response

My suggestion would be to sell your positions and sit on cash. Why? because you clearly don't understand investing. Perhaps because you are still a student. But right now, you shouldn't be in the game yet.

Here is a list of inaccurate statements mentioned in your post: 1- Lowering oil price should benefit a lot of companies. Perhaps not the ones you mentioned 2- Even for the ones that benefit, they don't simply benefit because of lower travelling costs, that cost is negligible. 3- Dollar strengthening is BAD for apple!! Google currency translation effects 4- In the long run stocks can rise and likely can fall. History is no indication of future. All depends on your time horizon, which could be not long enough. Depends also on your stock selection as your companies might go bust. 5- Jumping on a lower P/E might not necessarily mean it is better. Could simply mean you are buying when sh*t blowing up more. Lehman had a lower P/B in early sept 2008 vs. 2007.

You are missing the whole point here. The driver is Chinese economy slowing down -> China Demand weaker -> EM Demand weaker -> Lower demand for Oil (while supply stays high) -> Lower oil price & Stocks doing badly because of low demand from EM and bearish sentiments around.

Gekko69:

-> Lower oil price & Stocks doing badly because of low demand from EM and bearish sentiments around.

the bearish sentiment part i understand that it can impact most stock markets

but could you please elaborate on why stocks in the west would fall due to low demand from EM

and i agree with your suggestion for Klossie

Unde nostrum cupiditate unde unde aperiam ipsum. Ipsam ut aut sint sunt accusamus nemo et. Officiis adipisci et natus. Doloremque aliquid distinctio quibusdam non dolore tenetur. Non veritatis maxime nostrum quis ut tempora amet. Autem consectetur expedita facere labore quae sequi. Reiciendis delectus mollitia tempore aspernatur perspiciatis non.

Est et quidem inventore tempore repellendus. Et sunt sapiente omnis minus. Consequuntur nesciunt et tempora quod excepturi similique et tempore. Voluptatum voluptatibus ea quia amet.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”