Thoughts on Equity Research 2020?

What do you guys think about a career in ER in 2020? I know S&T is in a bit of a pickle, but isn’t dead yet, whereas IB is still going strong. Is ER in the same boat as IB or S&T? A family member of mine who runs a small (~$300M AUM) HF told me the only place he would recommend me to go to at an investment bank is Equity Research, but he’s only fundamentals driven and I know most HFs now are using quant strategies. What are your guys’ opinions on ER, is it a place to be for ppl who aren’t comfortable with the IB hours or is it sort of on its way out the door like S&T and not a great place for an undergrad to start their career? Thanks for the info!

Most Helpful

A few thoughts on equity research (ER):

ER – While ER’s heyday is gone, it still is a great place to learn a sector and financial modeling. For someone starting out their career, it can really help shape your direction. One of the key things to know about ER is not every sell side analyst is the same. I’d suggest you review the Institutional Investor rankings, which still carries a great deal of respect in the ER field. If you end up working for a top sell side analyst, you’ll be trained very well and you have the potential to move into either the buy side covering the same names or if you like at one of your coverage companies (either in an IR, strategy or internal M&A function later on). However, I can’t stress enough that where / who you work for is key. Not all ER roles are the same! Some banks have really great coverage analysts that provide great value add and others, not so much. There’s also a vast degree of quality among the sell side firms themselves and what they’re good at, Bernstein has some of the best ER analysts and I’ve know ppl make the jump from there to the buyside. There are some very good smaller niche biotech sell side teams at banks most ppl never heard of (i.e. Leerink). The hours in general are better vs IB, but you’ll be very busy during earnings season (good luck pushing earnings notes and update models on several names in one day) and frankly if you cover the same names over a few years it can get a bit boring.

Regarding your fundamental vs quant comment:

HFs – Yes, quant is definitely a big segment of the HF universe, but I wouldn’t minimize the existence of fundamental HFs. All the multimanager (MM) platforms have vast arrays of teams covering various sectors / strategies you didn’t even know existed using fundamental analysis. Sure, some augment this with the assistance of quants, but most do not. There are also plenty of single manager fundamental funds out there in certain niches that have nothing to do with quant.  

Best of luck.

Insightful, thanks for sharing! By chance, do you know if there is a way to view the II rankings without paying for them? I've been going form bank to bank (they always announce when their people make the list), but this isn't a very sound way to gather the list IMO.

Is GS seen as a top place to work in ER in your opinion?

Certain firms are slimming down, while others are growing. As the other poster said, highly dependent on your analyst and coverage universe. As someone who has covered both a shitty sector and a great sector with lots of compounders, I can emphatically say that coverage can be a huge motivator or a big kick in the balls. Definitely wouldn’t say the big investment banks are the only place to go. Some will certainly give you a good name on the resume and solid exposure, but others have a reputation as IB shills who don’t give a shit about putting out quality research. Plenty of boutiques that are sirloin rock solid and will give you more rapid advancement.

Omnis voluptatem voluptatem fugit voluptas. Et est blanditiis aut eveniet. Quaerat ad aut praesentium qui.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”