Rentech is only charging 2/20? Also, do they still take outside funds?

Unless you’re Renaissance, I don’t think a whole lot of other funds charge 2 and 20 (speaking specifically to SM, not sure what MM do nowadays). Ive seen management fees either cut to ~1%, if not, done away with at some smaller places which are still trying to ramp up AUM, which is A LOT of funds.

Most Helpful

Top multi-managers/platforms and macro funds can still get 2/20 (in some cases more) with effective fees higher in some cases given how costs are passed through to LPs. That said, industry wide, it is a different story. As of 12/31/21 and according to HFR, the average fee was ~1.4% and average carry was 15%. In 2010, the average fee was ~1.6% and average carry was 19%. So there certainly has been ongoing fee compression for the past decade. Funds will often have various shareclasses with higher fees/incentive for quarterly or shorter term liquidity. If you're willing to lock up your capital for longer periods, fees will go down.

Rentech's institutional funds actually have pretty low fees... fees may compress a bit more but who knows. With higher rates and dispersion, this might be a good environment for shorting and there might be some real alpha again. 

Just need to look at ADV Part 2s - for rentech, medallion charges 4/36-44 while the RIEFs charge 0.2-1.5/0-10. In terms of other funds charging 2/20, there are tons of funds that still charge that, but most will also give discounts or make other arrangements based on agreements. 

In Ted Seides book (guy who seeded 100s of funds), I love when he mentions that everyone thinks they are proposing a new or innovative fee structure, but that almost every type of arrangement has already been tried out before and does not make your launch special. Basically, whether it be discounts, only charging performance fees, requiring hurdles, scaling fees, etc., it has been done. At the end of the day, there are a lot of funds out there that still offer a quality investment product and they will be able to charge a premium for their services. On the whole though, the days of everyone setting up shop and running an undifferentiated strategy with high net exposure and charging 2/20 are over - but still plenty of strategies crushing it that can charge a premium. 

interesting how people are quoting rentech, are they the best in the business now or what? I suppose DE Shaw? 

I suppose it's shooting yourself in the foot to hard-press on 2/20 these days, but multi-strat are hard on their own pass-thru model which works fine. It's a leaner structure which beats out the FOF fee structure, on top of already beating them out strategy-wise

Sed sint voluptatibus exercitationem omnis dolor ratione. Ea eius commodi ut vel inventore fugit sapiente. Minus est et corrupti laudantium perferendis labore est. Alias earum et est voluptatem ipsum.

Aliquam aut quibusdam id deleniti pariatur ut. Dolores harum at vel vitae illum aspernatur. Sunt hic eligendi exercitationem tempora est eveniet. Ab quae dolores totam aliquam tenetur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 96.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 95.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (249) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”