What is the general thought on joining a HF that was once $1B+ and now is sub $200MM?

Curious what the collective community thinks about funds that were once $1B+, but due to losses and then redemptions are now in the low 100s of AUM, assuming the fund is a going concern at the current point. Chances that the fund grows again? Does the industry ever award 2nd chances? What about thoughts on working in this type of environment...?

"If they're down by 50%, they're probably going to 0". Remember that in one of the books I read.

I don't have any personal experience here, but it sounds like they just might close up shop soon. The best days are behind them and unless the fund manager is a well-known, very respected guy, then I don't see this fund coming back. Just stay in contact when they launch the next one.

Best Response

I'd say this one's pretty context-dependent. I wouldn't write off a fund just because it's smaller than it used to be. It makes a very big difference whether the size change is primarily due to losses or primarily due to redemptions. If the former, you're looking at an uphill battle to get back to the high watermark, plus I wouldn't be too excited about working for a PM who just lost a ton of money, both in terms of competence and work environment. On the other hand, an otherwise reasonably performing fund could shrink dramatically with the loss of an anchor investor. There are lots of reasons investors pull money and they don't all have to do with dissatisfaction - it could be they were seeded by a FoF that's winding down, for example. If the fund isn't closing after losing that big a chunk of its assets, presumably the founder likes the job and has some backers. Also, why are they hiring? Normally funds that have shrunk 80% aren't looking to add headcount. Maybe they've got a new capital commitment or things have somehow changed for the better.

The industry inexplicably gives lots of second chances, but the whys and wherefores matter. You should make your own decision about the nature of the losses - how bad are we talking? Was it a short-term mark-to-market thing with impatient capital? Is it a concentrated fund with one bad position? Did they have bad luck or bad analysis? Was there a failure of risk management? Was management irresponsible in some way?

Maybe they got in trouble for insider trading (7 or 8 times) and the gov't couldn't nail the founder/head PM but forced them to return outside money and operate as a family office.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Stay away. I can't imagine a scenario where the PM could explain away such poor returns (and client defections) that future potential investors will ask about. Fund raising will be tough.

Plus, the existing AUM could potentially be well under the high water mark leaving performance fees out of the question.

It's all hypothetical, but would you want to work for a fund with $200m AUM that only generates 2% management fees?

No chance in hell. Personally, I've been hesitant to pursue anything less than 2bln. A 50mm fund, or even 1bln fund can get wiped out quick just w just normal beta exposure (2008).

Quickest place to trim fat then is the bottom. I've seen it happen to people....

I'm on the pursuit of happiness and I know everything that shine ain't always gonna be gold. I'll be fine once I get it

Lets throw ethics out of the window for a second, is it possible to launch a new fund where the older fund invests in the new one thereby reseting the high water mark into a more attainable figure?

Colourful TV, colourless Life.

Ah ok, I see. Anyway, in this case you'd probably get some angry LPs I reckon and redemptions. Not sure if legal or not, must also depend on the jurisdiction (Caymans, Jersey/Guernsey etc)

Bonus:

Lets throw ethics out of the window for a second, is it possible to launch a new fund where the older fund invests in the new one thereby reseting the high water mark into a more attainable figure?

Creative idea!! I would think you would be best off by setting up a web of dummy corporations to ensure no one found out.

subrosa:
Bonus:

Creative idea!! I would think you would be best off by setting up a web of dummy corporations to ensure no one found out.

I don't understand why you feel the need to shit on him. While it won't happen exactly how he described, but how is that from a practical perspective different from creating a sidepocket and moving junk over?

Apologies for staying off-topic, eventually I think this action would probably raise red flags to the custodian bank or the auditors. That being said, there must be a grey area: like launching a new fund marketed with a slightly different investment strategy and a portion of the money of the old fund invested into it.

Bonus:

Apologies for staying off-topic, eventually I think this action would probably raise red flags to the custodian bank or the auditors. That being said, there must be a grey area: like launching a new fund marketed with a slightly different investment strategy and a portion of the money of the old fund invested into it.

I think you're right, it would be hard to justify investing a huge chunk of the busted fund into another fund that is also be managed by the same people. However, you may be able to get away with tossing 10%-20% of the portfolio that way. You could also start an Insurance/Reinsurance company and have the busted fund invest in that with the insurance company passing along all those funds to the hedge fund to manage. That would probably fly under the radar. There's also kinds of chicanery that can played here!!

Tempora fuga laudantium unde doloribus aut vero. Consequatur possimus veniam vel. Libero sunt autem facere ab non. Repudiandae sequi voluptatem a fugit voluptas sed. Dolores laborum aut facilis et eos officia nemo ex.

Porro natus ut et id sint eveniet. Fugiat consequatur ex sint nam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Point72 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.9%
  • Citadel Investment Group 96.8%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • AQR Capital Management 94.7%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Magnetar Capital 98.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 97.8%
  • Blackstone Group 96.8%
  • Two Sigma Investments 95.7%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.6%

Professional Growth Opportunities

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• AQR Capital Management 99.0%
  • Point72 97.9%
  • D.E. Shaw 96.9%
  • Magnetar Capital 95.8%
  • Citadel Investment Group 94.8%

Total Avg Compensation

May 2024 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (9) $1,648
  • Vice President (23) $474
  • Director/MD (12) $423
  • NA (6) $322
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (24) $287
  • Manager (4) $282
  • Engineer/Quant (71) $274
  • 2nd Year Associate (30) $251
  • 1st Year Associate (73) $190
  • Analysts (225) $179
  • Intern/Summer Associate (22) $131
  • Junior Trader (5) $102
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (250) $85
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”