What to do with $250k inheritance right now?

I inherited $250k after the passing of my parent last year. I haven't done anything with that money because I believed we were in a massive bubble last year with all the IPOs. Now, I don't want to sit in cash with inflation this high (just signed a 20% hike on my apartment rent), but I don't see many great investment opportunities right now. Thought I'd ask others here for some advice.

I am actually in a very similar situation right now (150k). So far I have been holding it all in cash waiting for the bottom, but who the fuck knows where that is. The market is pretty fucking low right now as it is, so I think I am going to go ahead and start investing. My allocation will be split between VOO (heavy), QQQ (heavy), TQQQ (to a lesser extent), and a few other blue chip tech stocks, for the most part

I plan to still hold maybe 50-60% in cash until things shake out with the market over the next few months and I have more visibility of whether we are going to slip into a full long term market downturn

Real Estate is always a good investment, probably safer than the market at the moment and look more to the commercial sector. In talking with people, it seems next year we are going to feel the mess created by the FED, though no one has a crystal ball. Personally, I would advise against the stock market at the moment, unless you're prepared to not touch that money for a few years. Best recommendation is to connect with a multi-family real estate syndicate who knows what they are doing and head hunting for deals right now. People will always need an affordable place to stay.

It’s super hard to give you tailored advice when you don’t give much color in your post.

What’s your annual income?

What’s your annual rent and fixed expenses?

What’s your cash balance?

Do you own real estate?

What’s your 401k and Roth IRA?

Age?

Dependents?

Any cc or student loan debt?

You’re not getting any replies cause your post was so low effort and general.

In the absence of any real detail about your financial picture, generic advice would be to start dollar cost averaging into vanguard total stock market index.

Most Helpful

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss... I can't imagine. 

To stay on the topic, you could buy a 1-year treasury bond that gets you 4% - I know it's not much but it's better than a bank and it's better than putting money into stocks to try and catch a falling knife that just goes down more. Put it in the bond, hold to maturity (and collect interest), and when you get your principal back the world should be a much clearer place. Plus the interest should help or totally offset your rent? 

Delectus itaque non nam blanditiis. Dignissimos est cupiditate nihil dolorum expedita. Atque modi facilis a consequatur expedita vel. Ut esse deserunt voluptates praesentium quia et amet. Optio quis corrupti id nisi quis.

Nostrum neque quis quia expedita. Similique et voluptatem sequi dolores ad quod. Officiis beatae commodi odio molestiae officia consequatur error id. Voluptatem necessitatibus eius ab est. Accusamus autem non consequatur voluptate. Distinctio et officia modi non amet natus doloremque molestiae. Libero odio aliquam quam voluptatem.

Repellat non nihil et praesentium veritatis in. Quia pariatur voluptatibus est in. Quae quas ullam ea aliquid laudantium et voluptatem laudantium.

Nostrum culpa harum harum. Aliquam non ut qui esse. Veniam aspernatur impedit veritatis delectus et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”