Why I'm Bullish on Oil for 2016

• Saudi Arabia is burning through foreign reserves. Given the country's dependence on oil as a means to finance public services, domestic economy, etc., how long can they drain their pool? Not to mention escalated global tensions, I foresee Saudi's cutting production in the near future. If this were the case, current market volatility will drive oil up quickly.

• Valuations are looking attractive. Domestic energy has been hit hard. Yet we haven't seen a mass exodus of firms from the market as OPEC had predicted, at least not yet. Many firms reiterate their ability to continue operations.

• From a technical perspective, short positions are crowded, and so are general macro momentum trades. The best way to play is to go long high-quality energy stocks that are mis-priced.

i can't disagree more. saudi arabia is pumping more supply than ever to compensate for lower oil prices, iran is set to have sanctions lifted, which in the grand scheme of things isn't high on a % basis but nonetheless more supply, oil inventory data show companies hoarding oil and storing them in tankers given how low spot is, etc

tldr, supply >>> demand. sure, now that we're inside of $30 WTI maybe we don't go much lower from here but to say one's bullish is very hard to comprehend

I'm not an o&g guy but I did a platform oil field services acquisition and multiple bolt ons in the early days of fracking so I know the space and I wouldn't touch the sector right now. Outside of some unforeseen geopolitical shock I can't see a big upside to prices so you need to be a bottom feeder with deep and long pockets to take advantage.

Best Response

Disagree on the logic of the lack of companies exiting comment. No one is going to exit unless they are forced to because production falls below AVC, that's just simple economics. Those firms are still getting killed.

Shale producers bow out daily and it looks like there will actually be a legitimate redetermination soon. The exits are coming and if we hit $20, they'll be coming in droves.

Even with rig counts down over 60% since mid 2014, it won't be until the end of 2016, if you buy what TPH is saying, or more realistically mid 2017 until there is a big snap back in price when supply runs short.

And while your information about Saudi being almost totally funded by oil is true, there is reason to believe that they are trying to get every last drop out of the ground while oil is still as widely used as it is. There doesnt appear to be anything that will slow them down outside of a war.

Great comments. This remark is not a consensus view. Let me see if I can address a few things:

My claim depends on Saudi Arabia cutting production. Saudi Arabia is a price setter, not a taker, so they aren't compensating for lower prices by producing more, they are producing more to drive the price down. The question is for how long Saudi Arabia will be able to keep prices low to drive rival exporters out of the market. If rising geopolitical tensions in the Middle East and concern about domestic funding force Saudi Arabia to cut production to fund expenditures, you will see a fast and volatile reversal out of the consensus trade. The U.S. oil industry is not tied to public welfare, and shale is more nimble.

Much of the information regarding supply imbalances and Iranian production is already priced in the market. It thus begs the question, how much farther can oil fall, and would the expected profits of taking a short position outweigh a long position. I was waiting to see how the market would react to the most recent events (Iran, U.S. free-trade, etc.). While 2015 was full of market developments, I don't see many other factors changing the oil market in 2016 (though I may not have done enough reading into it yet). With crowded bearish sentiment, now is a good time to take an opposite position.

The same goes with interest rates and currency. Investors might be too crowded in a long dollar trade. A 100bp move this year is also too optimistic in my opinion, and markets will adjust to price in new expectations.

One downside risk I could see is if Iranians supply more than the 500,000 per day that we expect. Another is further deterioration in demand.

To play this view, I suggested going long defensive companies in the industry that are trading at low valuations compared to history, and can do well in a low-price environment or surprise to the upside.

Again, just speculating. Thanks for contributing to the discussion!

janetyellen I hate making macro predictions, just want to add a couple of points:

1. Even if the Saudis reduce production it doesn't mean that will lead to more cash in their pockets and they know that. You have two core fronts they're facing here: a. reduction in production may be fulfilled by another eager competitor (Iranians, Shale) b. I don't think the supply/price ratio is in their favour. I mean for every absolute % reduction in supply there will have to be a higher absolute % increase in price in order to increase cashflow towards their direction. I reckon they're well aware of that, and given their low break-even point in oil production gives them a necessary margin of safety to be reluctant on cutting production as things stand. If they want to cover their trade deficit they still have plenty of reserves and consider opening up their Capital Markets (seems to be the case) to finance that gap.
  2. Shale will likely stay alive. The sector may have to consolidate, restructure debts and companies may go bankrupt. The necessary capital equipment, development and knowledge are there, however. There might be new debt-free assets and perhaps with further cost reduction on production (or some type of subsidy) when prices spike up somebody will be able to produce that oil and fill the gap.

I would dare to say that selling puts and calls on oil (short straddle) may seem like a strategy that can work for the next months (no idea what the prices are for calls and puts, though).

Colourful TV, colourless Life.

Tempora eius est aperiam. Ab itaque amet doloribus sint dolor veniam dicta blanditiis. Enim molestiae ex mollitia modi animi. Officia nulla ea qui ut ut cumque. Ullam rerum ducimus sed repudiandae ut sit. Vel sit alias assumenda aut labore. Ea iusto aspernatur magnam.

Excepturi voluptatibus vel quia eius iure voluptatibus ducimus ut. Exercitationem quisquam omnis et aperiam perspiciatis saepe suscipit. Maiores corporis eum est non temporibus quae recusandae velit. Et veritatis pariatur voluptas nobis ad aut quo.

Nisi et ut et sit nobis. Assumenda accusamus recusandae cum magni. Nemo quo debitis ratione repellendus corrupti cum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”