2023 update on Jefferies?

For being on the side of larger banks I feel they have been relatively quiet recently. Other than the statement a couple of months ago where they mentioned deal slowing and lower bonuses I haven’t seen their name much.

Anyone have updates on layoffs, bonuses, hiring, morale, updated culture, etc.? Would be curious to hear from some Jeff people how these changing environments have been for you.

They seem to be doing fine. On one of the other credit forums they were placed in the top 5 RX shops (more realistically they’re somewhere like #8) but there’s been controversy with M&A. The problem with banks on the rise is that the growth stops when markets stop. More people want to give mandates to Goldman since they’re the safer bet during times of recession. That being said they’re holding in there, compared to other firms like liontree.

Also people on this forum shit on them, mostly due to the fact that people don’t want to call them a MM anymore, but the folk in EBs and BBs don’t like the idea of a bank switching categories, as well as rich handler’s use of Instagram (which I don’t mind tbh, he has some good career advice).

In summary, good firm with lot of growth potential from poaching MDs, investing in their IB division, but has stigma around it from some folk, either disenfranchised ex employees who didn’t like being in a sweatshop or people with random vendettas.

Most Helpful

In summary, good firm with lot of growth potential from poaching MDs, investing in their IB division, but has stigma around it from some folk, either disenfranchised ex employees who didn't like being in a sweatshop or people with random vvendettas.

Certainly growing but I feel like this post is a bit of a shill.

It's a very toxic culture. Full stop. 

It has an absurd clawback bonus policy. Nobody else has anything as stupid or backward.

The majority of the bankers were good there, less passengers than others places ive worked. Bottom bucket and the lazy were culled ruthlessly. 

I honestly don't get with so many better options at the same level why you would choose Jefferies? 

EBs / BBs are all better for pay and deal flow. With perhaps the exception of healthcare. 

London Sponsors M&A - EB

Culture is definitely group dependent, which is natural given the amount of poaching they've done at the MD level

Pay is also group dependent. Some groups got shafted on bonuses and others had pay above most (all?) BB's. I know a1's that got $80 last year

TMT practice recently became "formal" and is one of the largest practices on the street. Their TES team is incredibly strong with what they do

As said above, sponsor M&A is the bread and butter of the firm

Personally have enjoyed my time here with my group. People in my group bitch about WLB, dont think they realize what it's like at GS, EVR, etc etc. Everywhere is sweaty, it's banking. Exception being HC, you couldnt pay me enough to work on that team

A lot of good people there. But they aint hiring for shit rn. Last year ig they had a winter analyst program now this year just doing nothing but walking around midtown with their banker bags yelling at people randomly 

Jefferies is still trending up. The focus is still on investment banking which some of the peers have moved away from. You are right that deal flow has slowed down but that's the same story at other banks. Building out a FIG presence is what the bank has focused on recently. FIG will rival Healthcare one day for deal flow. Most popular groups are still Healthcare and M&A. Technology and Industrials also in the mix. What's different in 2023 is the bank is strong across every group and consistently pitches against BBs and EBs. That wasn't the case a decade ago.

Would love to work for them. Probably one of the very few F500 companies I'd work for. Most companies on that list nowadays are a playpen for diversity.

Dolore autem aut omnis omnis quo eos cumque. Voluptatum dolores ex eum et non aspernatur cumque. Quia quia id laudantium sed possimus laborum.

Voluptas eos quo quo velit vero quibusdam corporis. Consequatur molestiae praesentium tempore eum sint totam repellendus. Pariatur aliquam recusandae rerum.

Sit sunt laborum eligendi placeat enim. Blanditiis enim aut ad voluptas.

Qui omnis molestiae vel aliquam. Asperiores autem reprehenderit vel enim vitae quia voluptas accusamus. Rerum eveniet ab quaerat et unde dolore sit. Ea repellat qui doloribus qui alias.

Commodi eveniet eaque odit mollitia eveniet dolores pariatur velit. Delectus tenetur aut aut deserunt. Iure ut temporibus sunt nihil quod beatae eligendi rerum. Earum blanditiis aut cupiditate eveniet et voluptatem vitae aperiam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”