2024 Updated UK/London Investment Banking Rankings

Hi All,

Hope you are well!

Please find below the updated rankings of London investment banks by prestige. Please not some of these are relative, and margins can often be extremely slim (like between ranks 19 and 26). Do let me know if you have any comments, and I'll make the relevant updates!

1. GS
  2. MS
  3. JPM
  4. Lazard
  5. BAML
  6. Evercore
  7. Roths
  8. Citi

9. PJT

10. PWP
  11. CVP
  12. Barclays
  13. UBS
  14. DB
  15. Houlihan 
  16. Moelis
  17. RBC
  18. Jefferies
  19. BNPP 
  20. Macquarie
  21. Santander
  22. HSBC
  23. Greenhill
  24. Nomura 
  25. Blair
  26. SocGen
  27. MUFG
  28. Mizuho 
  29. Cantor
  30. Guggenheim (?)
  31. Standard Chartered 
  32. Baird
  33. Berenberg
  34. RBS/Natwest 
  35. ING
  36. Stifel
  37. Wells 
  38. TD Securities
  39. Unicredit
  40. BMO
  41. Numis 
  42. BBVA
  43. Mediobanca 
  44. Natixis
  45. Scotia
  46. Peel Hunt
  47. CIBC
  48. CACIB
  49. SMBC
  50. Lincoln
  51. Commerzbank 
  52. Alantra
  53. Deloitte 
  54. PwC
  55. EY
  56. KPMG

Kind Regards,

An analyst trying to rile up a bunch of incoming interns at low ranked banks

Inaccurate and congrats on the Evercore analyst stint

kid I hope you understand that everyone on this site can tell you’re an incoming pjt intern. You can take these hypothetical wso lists for what you want but you cannot be a top 5 investment bank, when your average analyst is doing at most 2 m&a deals a year and your firm can’t even break into the top 15 of European league tables. In the real world, European professionals know pjt is not top 5 in Europe. Their rx franchise is great but not great enough to offset their Subpar European m&a deal flow. You objectively can’t be a top 5 bank with mediocre m&a, otherwise a bank like HL would be in the top 10 haha.

Most Helpful

Okay Prospect/intern (I am fairly certain prospect is the same as the incoming pjt intern), I'll bite. Time to teach you a quick lesson about the uk m&a market. 

definitely would not consider PJT M&A to be 'mediocre'

My brother in christ, I was even doing them a favour by calling their uk m&a practice mediocre. It actually is just below average. They placed like 14th/15th in the uk  and wider EMEA market if I remember correctly so by using your (illogical btw) maths this would average out to an 7-8 ranking taking into account their rx practice. 

add on no.1 RX team and youve got an overall 4-6 ranged bank

Oh to be a naive little undergrad again, how I miss those days. This is not quite how it works when calculating the 'prestige' of a bank. While I do agree that m&a and rx (and perhaps ecm) are the truest forms of investment banking, it would be ridiculous to put an equal weight on rx when 75% of others in this list can't even participate in the rx market. Its like comparing apples to oranges, your large banks can't do rx so it would be extremely unfair to say they should take up 50% of the weight put into calculating their reputation. I would put a 25% weight on it at most and thats being generous considering the m&a market is 100x the size of the rx market. 

M&A to be 'mediocre' - it is significantly ahead of PWP/Barclays

This is an incredibly bad take and I suggest you actually talk to your pjt buddy to find out why. I myself will keep it brief. Their UK deal flow isn't higher than pwp's (though they do larger deals) and is not even close to Barclays. Barclays will never fall out of the top 10 of a uk ranking, they are THE legacy UK BB. In fact, I saw on lseg recently they came first in the uk m&a market which honestly isn't even a surprise. PJT has quite literally never even broke into the top 10 of an emea or uk ranking. Here's a little infographic I came across the other day to illustrate this:

image-20240310142926-2

Notice how PJT is not even to be seen in that list? 

Look PJT is a fantastic place to work, but at the moment they are still a 'niche' rx bank in the UK and niche banks simply can't be placed into the top 5 and arguably not even the top 10. However, their rx practice is respected enough to be somewhere in the top 10. I wouldn't put them above BAML,LAZ,EVR or even BAR and neither would most other professionals. I have 5+ years of experience in the industry, so most would trust my opinion over a prospects.

JPM could take over the n1 spot in Europe by the end of 2024. The GS n1 spot has never felt more contested than now.

No bias here but not a good take tbh. Would still keep PJT, Laz, and EVR above BAR purely for exits. If not in a cracked group like p&u, your exits aren't fantastic.  Roths too maybe but cvp should definitely be below Barclays. CVP's uk practice is still average and it seems like most prospects on this site hype it up for its weirdly exclusive recruitment process. 

What’s it with all the PJT glazing over the last six months on this site? This isn’t the first time I’ve seen it rank at least 6 places higher than the actual European rankings. Can we collectively call this bullshit out more often…oh and congrats on PJT.

An analyst trying to rile up a bunch of incoming interns at low ranked banks

Genuinely hilarious that OP (Incoming pjt intern) can see all the pushback with pjt being top 5 and isn't budging but is still trying to convince us he's an unbiased analyst

Dolor qui quis asperiores quo quia architecto. Autem accusamus consequuntur dolorem cum quas. Eveniet occaecati voluptas et consectetur. Magnam incidunt perferendis voluptas.

Eum id eaque amet sed accusamus aut. Ut exercitationem qui molestiae minima. Non ullam debitis at tempora. Rerum voluptate dicta suscipit modi exercitationem perferendis ut.

Beatae molestiae esse nihil sunt earum hic quidem ex. Voluptatem in ipsam enim accusantium. Est consequatur ullam aperiam voluptas ipsam eveniet eum.

Et quas earum quia ipsam. Deleniti est earum ab magnam odio voluptatem nemo. Blanditiis tempora est nihil est qui in.

Et modi sed porro error ut. Qui quo doloremque omnis id ipsum repellendus optio. Accusantium ipsum aut similique deleniti labore repellendus. Facilis vel quam commodi dolor ut et commodi cum. Sed a ratione qui fugiat consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”