BAML 2020 SA - Any updates?

Hey guys, I was wondering if any other incoming 2020 SA has had trouble with the onboarding process. For starters, I still cannot access my onboarding forms. HR contact said there was an internal issue and they'd get back to us as soon as it's resolved, but I haven't heard anything for about two weeks. Starting date is not affected since this is an internal issue.

Aside from onboarding - For those who will be working in a different city, how are you dealing with housing? I don't think I'll be securing housing until mid-April as we still have yet to see how the virus plays out. Would it be a good idea to reach out to HR for help finding university housing, or should I do this on my own?

Hope for the Best!! I believe they will treat us well.

Controversial

Guys I think we will receive the Ft offer for sure :) we just need to think very positively.. Why shouldn't BAML do the same like Citi? It does not make sense to me!! So LETS GOO!

My friend is interning in a different division of BofA in NYC (I’m in IBD in NYC) and she emailed HR on Monday. Her HR told her they will hear an update by end of week. So looking like we will hear something tomorrow

Ok so it seems as these calls are FT offers?? I have not received, maybe only to certain individuals. What do people think?

inference as people do not want to disclose on WSO. It just is very weird. I dont know if these kids are trolling or something serious is happening. Seems to be positive. Would really like to know

To be honest I was about 99% this was a troll at first, but if he was then there's no reason why they wouldn't just make something up rather than be so secretive. It may be a reach, but perhaps this has something to do with the guy who made the thread about auto-offers to certain people yesterday? He also said he was at a "top BB" and we already know what GS/JPM/MS are doing and BAML would literally be the next strongest BB. I would wager these kids are either getting the FT offers or at least some info on it and they were told not to disclose with any of the other interns. Since they don't know how many other SAs were given offers also, it's too big a risk to post that they got one here even under anonymous.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. However, it would look so poorly on BofA if they did this. Many interns would start off on the wrong foot. Some would be cocky bc they got the offer others would be frustrated because they didnt. It would be a recipe for disaster. But, we will only know when we know....

lol could you imagine...HR here.. you are guaranteed a FT offer on one condition, you never go onto WSO again or tell anyone what I said

SO, I think it was a troll... Not gonna lie they had us in the first half.

Guys, relax and think. Why would Bank of America, one of the very first banks that said they would not cancel the internships, give selective auto offers to anyone before the summer?

First, to retain talent? Come on, we all know what most likely the 2021 FT recruitment will be like. How would BofA try to retain talent when they can well guess that there will be extremely limited ships to jump? And since when banks start to give FT offers before interns do the job to retain talent?

Second, they are not going to cancel internships. So literally everyone will have to do their job in the summer, no matter if it’s virtual or in-person. Now tell me, why would BofA want to convert someone based solely on interview performance knowing that he or she will have to join the others to try the tasks in the summer anyways. Maybe HR all wanna take a break in summer and don’t wish to deal with intern conversion? Or some MD said “OK we’re going to give X, Y and Z FT offers now and they don’t have to come in summer because we may have limited chairs or our virtual workplace will be too crowded, so let those who won’t earn any FT offers come this summer”? Well.

Finally, do you guys remember what a summer internship is for? To see if you can do the job, right? If BofA could make the selective auto offer decision, why would they even guarantee your internship? Maybe suddenly they changed their mind last night and said “ouch I just read WSO and realized we could actually give out auto offers to a selective group of incoming interns, and I’ll keep everyone happy and not cancel the internships”?

Well I’m an ordinary and average intern. But that’s what I’d think about it.

Why would they ask us if we’ve traveled internationally if they have no intention of doing an in-person internship? They must still be seriously considering an in-person program. Otherwise, why would they care who we’ve come into contact with?

spoke with HR and she informed me to not look for housing at this point.

For real, we're about 3 weeks from the expected start date lol. I just don't get what they're waiting for.

This is actually unreal at this point. It really cannot be this hard just choose one of the following:

1.) Make it Virtual with no FT offers = Then tell us already 2.) Wait to see if situation improve = TELL us that this is the plan and communicate a final decision date so we can at least sort out housing. Or just tell us and delay the internship to early July like every other too bank 3.) Virtual + FT offers = If you are waiting on the FT offer decision just tell us that it is virtual! 4.) Cancel = Impossible because we are mid-onboarding

I think I speak for most of us when I say we are ALREADY expecting virtual + no FT offers, just TELL us this so we can sort out accommodation, maybe get a decent work from home setup etc and try our best in whatever the internship format. It’s so clear that they’re debating FT offers at this point, I get that, but that is not an excuse for the lack of communication.

HR just said something very interesting while replying to my email. Don't know how universally applicable this is, but figured I'd share. For reference, I am going to school in the US and will intern in APAC (Tokyo office). Replying to my inquiry about possible time zone difference (since I'm still stuck in the US), she said and I quote: "we may schedule something for you that will align with your time zone instead (we don’t want you to be working during the midnight just because of time difference!)". But she did add that they are still finalizing everything and could only confirm at a later date. While I do appreciate them accommodating to my time, I do wonder if this is implying that they are not expecting us SA to contribute to any work, or even interact with people in the team. I'm not trying to be egoistic and demand the team accommodate every SA, but I just felt uneasy about how return offer is looking if the team can't even get to know me. Perhaps this is just an individual occurrence, perhaps this applies only to people who may intern with a big time zone difference, perhaps this is me thinking too much. But I thought I'd post it here.

We look forward to welcoming you to our company this summer. As a follow-up to our email in April, below are additional details about your upcoming internship program, beginning Monday, June 15.

Given our current environment and our utmost focus on the health and safety of our teammates, your summer intern experience will be fully virtual. You will complete your internship remotely. Your internship will be between six and eight weeks, based on your availability and on the needs of our businesses, and will end no later than August 7. Regardless of the length of your service, you will be compensated for the full 10-week program as stated in your offer letter.

We are fully committed to providing you with a robust experience. Your internship curriculum will include business content and will be focused on job readiness as well as technical and professional skills development. You will have a clearly defined work assignment that includes significant virtual engagement with the business. You’ll also have the opportunity to participate in activities that will allow you to engage virtually with leaders and build relationships with your fellow interns.

To the extent that you can, please cancel any travel or relocation plans, and refrain from booking additional travel related to your internship. We understand that you may have already incurred costs related to relocation. Your housing stipend is intended to cover those costs. Whether or not you have already incurred relocation costs, you will receive your stipend after you start at the bank.

By May 15, you will receive an email to begin your onboarding process as well as a phone call confirming your ability to complete the onboarding requirements. Please ensure you take prompt action. If you have not received this information or if you have any questions, please respond to [email protected].

We will be in touch in the coming weeks with additional information on the virtual summer program, including pre-summer check-in discussions and Q&A sessions to help you prepare. We look forward to working with you soon. Take care of yourself and stay safe and healthy.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”